Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Throttle Position Sensor Linkage Adjustment

Old 06-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Default Throttle Position Sensor Linkage Adjustment

2004 Mazda MPV - Engine runs rough, misses, hesitates, stumbles, stalls during acceleration but ok in "Park" or "Neutral".

I believe there is a problem with the throttle position sensor linkage.

The throttle position sensor linkage cable and the gas pedal cable is attached to the same assemble. The other end of linkage cable is fasten to a pulley wheel of the throttle sensor. When pressing on the gas petal, the throttle position sensor linkage cable loosens up and the pully wheel never turns.

Question #1: Is the sensor out of range or not functioning?

I am guessing that - A wiper arm is mechanically tide to a moving part (the pully wheel). As the pulley wheel moves also the wiper arm moves. The wiper arm is also in contact with a resistor. As the wiper arm moves on the resistor, the signal voltage output changes. At the point of contact, the available voltage is the signal voltage and this indicates position. The closer the wiper arm gets to VC voltage, the higher the signal voltage output. From this voltage, the ECM is able to determine the position of the throttle valve.

I am also guessing that - I can adjust the TPS sensor by turning it until the output voltage is within spec:

Question #2: What do I turn to adjust the TPS sensor? Is the pulley wheel the answer to this question?.

Please help.

Last edited by hurttie; 06-07-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling correction