Electronics, Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

1991 mazda b2200 with a very weird tail light problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2024 | 10:44 AM
|
Default 1991 mazda b2200 with a very weird tail light problem

i just bought a 1991 mazda b2200 2wd with cab + and a 5 speed manual transmission.

after I got it no I had a few lights not working. I got all of them working but my passenger tail light. the reverse and the brake light will not work but everything else works. after using my multimeter I have 9.5 volts in the reverse light socket but the bulb still will not turn on. I tested the bulb in the other side and it works just fine the other side also gets 9.5 volts in the socket. so voltage and the bulbs are fine. everyone I talked to has no idea why it won't work. I'm curious if anyone else has had this same issue before or if anyone knows how to fix this.

Old 09-24-2024 | 02:10 PM

I posted this in your other thread also......

Have you tried a Right-Handed Bulb in the Passenger side yet?

LOL.......I couldn't resist!

Glad that you got the truck home! Keep an eye on the engine oil as you get into winter (Cold environment) to make sure the coolant is not mixing with the oil....or vice-versa by visually checking the coolant. If coolant is mixing with the oil, the oil will turn a milk chocolate color and create a whitish foamy residue inside the valve cover. You may have gotten lucky with the head gasket! You could also, re-torque the cylinder head bolts to 70 ft.lbs. when the engine is COLD. Do NOT loosen any of the head bolts......simply set the torque wrench to 70 lbs. and tighten the 2 center bolts first (there are ten total), then go in a clockwise (or counterclockwise) rotation, working your way to the last outer head bolts. Or, follow the torque sequence in the service manual, which will be very similar. Go through them several times to make sure they are all torqued to 70 ft.lbs.

When you do this, you will discover that the EXHAUST side head bolts......will have been "looser" than the INTAKE side head bolts.......this is why I say to re-torque the head bolts......especially after overheating the engine!

As far as the rear bulbs go.....you could see if the issue is in the wiring for the rear light housing as a unit, by swapping the complete assembly from left to right. If the passenger side works normally, then your issue(s) is in the complete light housing somewhere. When doing this, simply remove the 4 Phillips head screws that hold the tail light assy. on the rear of the bed......then just unplug the 4-pin harness connector......and plug it back in on the other side. You won't be able to mount the assy. back into the bed on the wrong side, but you only need to see if it works or doesn't work when swapped.

Let us know what you find out!