General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Braking problems on 96 Mazda Miata

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Exclamation Braking problems on 96 Mazda Miata

Brakes on 96 Miata have gotten lousy.
Front brakes feels hard, and does not stop on a dime. Especially when I go through water.
Have checked the power brakes booster and it's properly working.
Also pads are okay.
Unable to identify the problem without spending an arm & leg to the answer I can fix myself.
Also, bought this car used in 1999, and I didn't notice the brakes being this bad.
Have had 2 fender benders this past year due to brake problems.
Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
Darladoo

Old 10-14-2009, 04:00 PM

The caliper slide pins probably need lubrication,it will require partial removal of the calipers to do. The slide pins tend to rust and bind up so need cleaned/lubricated ocasionally. The previous owner may have put a cheap lifetime warranty brake pad on it also. They are too hard and do not stop as well where a softer composite pad will stop better.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Angry Brake Power Booster

Re: 96 Mazda Miata Hard Brake problem cont'd:

Also, Could the power brake booster be defective? Do I need to put a vaccum check on the booster to see if the problem is a restricted brake booster vaccum hose? Can a defective vaccum brake booster cause the brake pedal to be hard?

Thanks so much for your help,
Darladoo

Old 10-15-2009, 02:52 PM

start with the basics. assume the pads/rotors are glazed. new pads/rotors will at least eliminate those items. brake boost? a bad booster diaphragm should cause an air leak and/or sucking sound when you apply brakes. i had a bad booster once. long time ago. but back to the wheels. sticking caliper slides. frozen caliper pistons? how about collapsed brake hoses? than the next bet is a bad master cylinder. pretty much every part in the system has been talked about now.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:21 PM

darladoo , as you can see the cause of your brake problemcan get quite involved. Start with new pads and rotors on front and check the rear brakes, clean and check etc. The pins on the caliper slides is an area to consider when replacing front brakes.
Has your Check Engine Light been on ? If so check the codes at auto zone or other parts store. If brake light is on, strongly suggest seeing certified mechanic ASAP.