General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can't start car

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Default Can't start car

Hello,

I have a quick question. I have Mazda protege 1993. It's been sitting on my drive way for about 3-4 months. Result - can't start it. The battery is not dead. I hooked it up to another can and got it charged so headlight go on but if I turn the ignition key I get no response. Is this an alternateor or starter issue?

How can I fix this?

Thanks,
TheGuest

Old 12-06-2009, 11:15 PM

sounds like a bad ground wire to me. track down the ground wire off of the negative side of the battery and check it's contact points on the battery and on the body.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Default Could be oxidized Lead-Acid Battery terminals

Hello,

It could be that the Lead Terminals on the battery are oxidized...

Lead Oxide is a relatively good electrical insulator and sometimes behaves as a diode/semiconductor...

It might let flow enough current for light, but not enough to start the car...

Remove the clamps from the terminals, take some sandpaper, clean the terminals on the battery side as well as on the clamp side...

Once the oxide has been removed, put some Vaseline on the bare metal to avoid this to repeat...

I saw this several times and a cleaning as above fixed the problem...

Best Regards...

Old 12-15-2009, 11:44 PM

Thank you for your replies.

Here is what I have done so far.

I bought a new battery and hooked it up to the car. So I know for sure now it is not the battery. Headlights went on. However, when I try to star the car I get nothing in response - no cranking sounds, nothing. Complete silence.

What else can I do?

Thank you,
TheGuest

Old 12-15-2009, 11:51 PM

I see there are two possible faults here:
1. Ignition switch
2. starter

If I hear nothing back and no lights on dashboard come up it must be an ignition switch. What do you think?

If it is ignition switch is there a way to fix it or it has to be replaced? I don't want to buy any parts for it because as soon as it start I'll be selling it =)

Thanks again,
TheGeust

Old 12-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Default Wont Start

Hello, i bought a mazda3 2005 however the key was lost. i went to the dealer and bought a new key and they programmed it. however the car make the sound like its going to turn on but it doesnt? does any one know or has any idea of what the problem could be. the battery was also replaced but it wont turn on. HELP!!!!!!

Old 01-01-2010, 04:13 PM

its been 2 weeks "the guest". any news? so, does your dash lights come on when you turn the key to run or start?