General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CX-9 Smoke Odor in Cabin

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Default CX-9 Smoke Odor in Cabin

I have a 2010 CX-9 GT AWD. I got it about a month ago and LOVE IT! I do have one problem and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. About three weeks ago I pulled into my garage and noticed a burning odor coming from the car. At that time I didn’t notice any smoke and couldn’t find the source of the odor. The temp gauge on the engine was normal. Then, about 4 days later I stopped at a traffic light and noticed the odor again. This time smoke began drifting in through the A/C vents. I called the service department at my Mazda dealer, and they suggested I bring the car in when it’s smoking so they can find the problem. The trouble with this plan is my Mazda dealer isn’t near my house, and I don’t go by there very often. I did drive down to the dealer the day after I called, but the car was not smoking when I got there. I tried again a few days later. This time I went in and talked to the gentleman at the desk. He said there wasn’t anything he could do unless I actually brought the car in while it’s smoking. I really don’t have the time to spend 2-3 days driving around my Mazda dealer waiting for my car to start smoking. As I said, I love the car, but this is a major problem. It occurs about once every 2-3 days. My family has had to “abandon ship” on one occasion because the smell was so bad. In addition to the inconvenience, there’s the safety issue…I don’t want the car catching on fire on me. And, I’m concerned about what kind of damage is being done to the car. Something is burning that shouldn’t be. The odor smells like brake or clutch pads burning. The car seems to drive fine. The temp gauge doesn’t move. The smoke SEEMS to be coming from somewhere above front wheel well, but not the engine compartment. Does anyone have any ideas for me.

Thanks,
Brent

Old 12-23-2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by sbrentk
I have a 2010 CX-9 GT AWD. I got it about a month ago and LOVE IT! I do have one problem and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. About three weeks ago I pulled into my garage and noticed a burning odor coming from the car. At that time I didn’t notice any smoke and couldn’t find the source of the odor. The temp gauge on the engine was normal. Then, about 4 days later I stopped at a traffic light and noticed the odor again. This time smoke began drifting in through the A/C vents. I called the service department at my Mazda dealer, and they suggested I bring the car in when it’s smoking so they can find the problem. The trouble with this plan is my Mazda dealer isn’t near my house, and I don’t go by there very often. I did drive down to the dealer the day after I called, but the car was not smoking when I got there. I tried again a few days later. This time I went in and talked to the gentleman at the desk. He said there wasn’t anything he could do unless I actually brought the car in while it’s smoking. I really don’t have the time to spend 2-3 days driving around my Mazda dealer waiting for my car to start smoking. As I said, I love the car, but this is a major problem. It occurs about once every 2-3 days. My family has had to “abandon ship” on one occasion because the smell was so bad. In addition to the inconvenience, there’s the safety issue…I don’t want the car catching on fire on me. And, I’m concerned about what kind of damage is being done to the car. Something is burning that shouldn’t be. The odor smells like brake or clutch pads burning. The car seems to drive fine. The temp gauge doesn’t move. The smoke SEEMS to be coming from somewhere above front wheel well, but not the engine compartment. Does anyone have any ideas for me.

Thanks,
Brent
Brent,
I would contact Mazda directly and tell them what is happening with your vehicle. Also explain to them in a very aggressive manner that you feel this vehicle is unsafe for you and your family.(FIRE HAZARD). If that doesn't work you can threaten legal action

Old 11-12-2010, 10:14 PM

Now, it has happened with my new Mazda CX-9 2010. Ugly burning odor sometimes comes into cabin when I brake. It smell either as burnt brake liquid or as fried wire insulation. It's scary like hell. Tomorrow I rush to Mazda dealership....

Old 11-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Default Odor

Did you ever get a remedy to this? My 2011 CX-9 AWD is doing the same thing and all the dealership is telling me is they can't find any codes hitting when hooked up to the machine.

Originally Posted by kuzm_2000
Now, it has happened with my new Mazda CX-9 2010. Ugly burning odor sometimes comes into cabin when I brake. It smell either as burnt brake liquid or as fried wire insulation. It's scary like hell. Tomorrow I rush to Mazda dealership....

Old 11-09-2011, 12:05 PM

I've found my problem after dozen of visits to Mazda service - it was leaking front differential unit. When a droplet drops to cold exhaust pipe it smells like leaked gasoline, if it spills on hot one, it smells like burnt plastic. This is known defect in Mazda CX-9. Leaked diff liquid lead to chain of other issues. My diff was replaced by Mazda.