General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Easy DIY curb damage wheel repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 10:50 AM
Default Easy DIY curb damage wheel repair

This happened to me a few years ago and I posted the similar thread on another forum. It can be duplicated for most any cast wheel from most any auto manufacture even aftermarket wheels.

Not exactly sure how this happened? I am the only one that drives this car. I know we went up in the snow for a drive but I don't remember hitting anything and usually pretty damn careful where and how I park. At my cost it is still a $250 dollar wheel. So I am going to repair it myself as it is only cosmetic damage.

I separated the tire from the wheel and began the cosmetic repair. I also marked the tire and will rotated the heavy side of the wheel opposite the tire. I am sure the J-B Weld may not add enough weight to make any difference but hey why not do it for the fun of it?

Old 11-13-2022, 10:51 AM

Old 11-13-2022, 10:53 AM

Reinstalled the tire on the wheel and balanced it. The weights came out very close to the same. I think the normal wear on the tires had more to do with the 1/4 once addition weight then the repair?

The repair came out almost near perfect. I say near perfect because the repair if you look close is better then the rest of the wheel polished. I think if I go back and polish the whole wheel it would be very hard to see the cosmetic repair work? IDK, for my standards it a Pass!