General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Transplants

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Default Engine Transplants

Hi Guys
I wonder if any of you know what other engines will fit pre 84 626 cars and will bolt straight on to the gearbox? I beleive this you call this type an MA engine.
The reason I am asking is because I have a little 4x4 called an Asia Rocsta which Asia built using a Mazda engine from the early 626. unfortunately Asia played with the engine and made it a very underpowered 1.8 which blows head gaskets every 10,000 miles.
So to get to the point Im after changing the engine in it for something else and Im told the 2.0 626 engine has twice the power and just bolts in, unfortunately (as you guys know) these engines are hard to get hold of so Im wondering what else would fit. Is their a common bolt pattern between the engine and gearbox or is their known upgrade people do for these (a 626 v6 engine would be nice).
I dont need everything to fit perfect (electrics, manifolds, fuel systemor even engine mounts) just the connection between the engine and gearbox.[/align]
Cheers for now
FuddyMucker [/align]