General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

general oil question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Default general oil question

If your car has (and always has had) non-synthetic oil, 127k miles, would it be better to switch to synthetic or stick with non-synthetic?

Trying to keep the question broad (as I don't own a mazda), I didn't think it'd matter from car-to-car except for mileage.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:42 PM

The popular myth is that you cannot switch due to a whole host of potential issues, however, it's just that, a myth. If you want to switch, switch.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:55 AM
JS

I did a Rinse. At the end of the day I've changed oil again -thats all .

Last edited by JS; 03-02-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by JS
do RINSE first before syntetic
Completely unnessary, just another urban legend of sorts.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:24 PM

how the heck would you rinse it anyway? Just dump water in and let it drain? Pick the car up and shake it a little =p

Old 02-27-2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by SexyPants
how the heck would you rinse it anyway? Just dump water in and let it drain? Pick the car up and shake it a little =p
There are a number of products on the market that claim to be able to clean junk out of an engine (you pour them in, let the engine run and/or drive it for a while and then drain the oil). That said, after turning lots of wrenchs over the last thirty some years, I've never seen even a shred of evidence that suggests that any of these treatments work (in spite of the glowing reports from many folks who swear by them).

Old 02-27-2009, 08:56 PM

I see. I've also heard (someone from autozone told me this) that switching between the two might affect valve timing or distance or something? I didn't really see how oil type could affect that, but they know more than I do.

Also, ever heard of a fumoto valve? Any input on those, they worth it?
http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

Old 02-27-2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by SexyPants
I see. I've also heard (someone from autozone told me this) that switching between the two might affect valve timing or distance or something? I didn't really see how oil type could affect that, but they know more than I do.

Also, ever heard of a fumoto valve? Any input on those, they worth it?
http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/
I'm much more partial to oil extractors (I use the Pela 650): http://www.pelaproducts.com/description.htm

Old 02-28-2009, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

I changed over to synthetic in my old Honda after 60k. Drove it till it rusted out from under me @ 187k w/oil changes every 10-15k. The engine never came apart. It still ran like a top.
Changed over in my current Mazda @ 19k w/changes every 10k and so far (46k) so good.
The molecules of synthetic oils are smaller than conventional oils, therefore it will find any minor leak and make it seem as if it's gotten worse. The same if your piston rings, valve seals or guides are wearing. It will more readily find its way into the cylinders and be burned. In short, it can cause you to think you have more problems than you had before, but that too is a wives tale. They were already there.
As for the valve, I don't personally know any one using them. My only concern would be how restrictive is it and will all the oil be allowed to drain properly?

Old 02-28-2009, 11:35 AM

wow
that oil extractor is actually pretty sweet...just really expensive...a lot more expensive than my big ol pan.

I'll try switching to synthetic next change. Hopefully it'll warm up soon.

And thanks for the head's up virg, that'll certainly help reduce the imminent fear from problems and at least give me an idea of what just happened