General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Has to replace the battery in my 2020 CX-9

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 09:07 PM
Default Has to replace the battery in my 2020 CX-9

Today was a normal Sunday, We went shopping, I dropped off the wife at the nail place and i went off to do some errands.
So i put my foot on the break pedal and pushed the start button and i hear a little turnover noise then nothing,
I try it again and nothing. I wait a few minutes and try it again and I hear that battery sound ...it won't start.
So I call AAA and the guy comes hooks up the jumper and jumps it the car starts,
I had him replace the battery with the winter coming, This would have been the third winter for the CX-9.
Since I work at home mostly it's not being used much during the week, I would have figured I could get another year out of the battery.
Do any of you kow if Mazda got a bad batch of batteries back in '20. Or I need to drive it more.

Old 10-10-2022, 10:57 AM

You have a lot of electronic on board that remain useing slight power from the battery.
There are NO batteries failing to any degree from MAZDA in less then a year of use.

I suggest that you invest in a battery tender and start to routinely connect it to your battery when you are not driving as frequently. It will keep the battery at full charge and WILL prolong the battery life and performance level at least for several years.
Amazon.com: BMK 12V 5A Smart Battery Charger Portable Battery Maintainer with Detachable Alligator Rings Clips Fast Charging Trickle Charger for Car Boat Lawn Mower Marine Sealed Lead Acid Battery : Automotive Amazon.com: BMK 12V 5A Smart Battery Charger Portable Battery Maintainer with Detachable Alligator Rings Clips Fast Charging Trickle Charger for Car Boat Lawn Mower Marine Sealed Lead Acid Battery : Automotive

POST #343
Mazda3 Things I like to do - Page 35 - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

You do not need to do what I did in my project thread the battery charger comes with standard alligator clamps

Old 10-10-2022, 02:12 PM

I was listening to the football game while parked in the lot with the setting on accessories. I have one of those portable battery chargers but i kept it in my 2009
Murano. I am charging it now and will stay with the CX-9.

Old 10-10-2022, 03:00 PM

I would still recommend to get your battery load tested.

And to get a battery charger as I suggested

Those portable battery chargers will not maintain the health of any battery and they need to be recharged after use. Great to carry for emergency but in the long run not the best to charge a battery.