General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

High pitched squeal/ishhh from rear at morning when moist

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Default High pitched squeal/ishhh from rear at morning when moist

Dear ALL,

I start getting frustrated with this high pitch sound(I don't know what to call it, squeal?, ish,..) that I hear from rear(I guess close to right wheel) when wheel moves up and down very quickly, like in rough road or humps. This happens only in moist condition, like most in morning or after rain. I don't know what is wrong.
During first inspection by mazda service, they said it is brake pad issue and its under recall, but latter service manager said that's not the problem. They are unable to figure out the root cause even after several attempts yet. Then recently concluded its not problem with vehicle but said its a weather, as the sound can be reproduce only after rain or morning or moist weather. There conclusion pissed me off. I don't know where should I go to fix the problem. I love my car, but this irrigating sound is driving me crazy.

Any ideas, suggestion how I can troubleshoot this problem? Please don't say to turn on my music volume since I am already doing that. Thanks in advance.

Vector.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:17 PM

r u getting these noises while trying to apply brakes and slow down? If this is the case, then the problem is with brake pads as some kind of the brake pads swell a bit under moist weather conditions. This leads to dragging of the pads giving rise to annoying noises till they dry out.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:01 PM

I get noise even without applying the brake. All it needs jerk of wheels up and down, like in rough road or smal humps in moist weather.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:14 PM

lay under her and get someone to gentle rock the car til you hear where the noise is coming from. Sorry not sure what the car is but it could be droplinks, anti rolbar bushes or spring mounts. If its only when the car suspension is triggered then idoubt its break bind.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:37 PM

This is CX7 2008, sorry I forgot to mention that.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:57 AM

I did a bit of digging mate and came up withthis off the CX7 Forum, he had the same rear noise as you. http://www.mcx7.com/archive/index.php/t-2187.html

"Autocade
06-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Pleased to say my brake noise problem appears to have been resolved.
Mazda service have employed a solution involving shims & modified pads and so far the noise has gone.
My understanding is this fix has been approved by Mazda Japan.
Braking also feels smoother now.
I will see how she goes for the next few thousand and report back then

Cheers
Autocade"

I would still do the rocking check to see if you can hear anything - you can at least identify where its coming from

Old 03-05-2011, 08:24 AM

Thank you ggsumo for your kind information. I checked the thread you have mentioned. Unfortunately, the noise I am experiencing is not produce by braking or stopping attempt. It is reproducible only when the weather is moist(after rain or damp morning). Since noise occurs only when rear wheel jerks up and down from rear right wheel side, I doubt if this noise is coming from SHOCK due to friction. I don't know if SHOCK is expose to weather as brake pad is. Mazda service says that is not the case, but they can't say what is the cause and simply blames the weather. If it was, lets say, due to brake pad that is under recall do I still quality for replacement even if I have 20k miles in my car?

Vec.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

This is a tough one... but you don't mention if the noise goes away after a few miles or when the car warms up, etc?

I'm inclined to think it either the shock absorber or rear sway bar mount bushings or end links though... based on what you've said here.

I know the rubber mount bushings on my car used to squeak a lot over speed bumps, for example. I did replace the sway bar w/an aftermarket one later, after lubricating the factory bushings on the OE bar which took away the problem.
You may also have a bad shock absorber... one that is affected by high humidity, as you are describing.

Since it's "up and down" movement that is causing it, it has to be in the suspension, not the brake system.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1
This is a tough one... but you don't mention if the noise goes away after a few miles or when the car warms up, etc?

I'm inclined to think it either the shock absorber or rear sway bar mount bushings or end links though... based on what you've said here.

I know the rubber mount bushings on my car used to squeak a lot over speed bumps, for example. I did replace the sway bar w/an aftermarket one later, after lubricating the factory bushings on the OE bar which took away the problem.
You may also have a bad shock absorber... one that is affected by high humidity, as you are describing.

Since it's "up and down" movement that is causing it, it has to be in the suspension, not the brake system.
Hence laying under the back and gently rocking the car (when wet) you should be able to hear exactly where its coming from

Old 03-08-2011, 09:51 AM

Thank you guys for all your words. The noise doesn't go away. It comes everytime there is ups and down in moist weather. I am taking my car back to madza service, will ask them check suspension once again. Also will mentioned about shock absorber, rear sway mount bushing.

Quick Reply: High pitched squeal/ishhh from rear at morning when moist