General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mazda 2 Idleing problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Default Mazda 2 Idleing problem

My wife owns a 2008 Mazda 2 which she purchased new in October 08. Car was great until around 6,000 km when it developed a problem when idleing. Stopped at an intersection or traffic lights the idle would decrease until it felt like the car was going to stall.
Mazda dealer said there was no problem appearing on the computer, but they replaced the engine mounts which made a slight improvement.
Has anyone else encountered this problem, and have they been able to resolve it?
The dealer appears unwilling (or unable) to do anymore to fix it.
The car is 2008 Mazda 2 auto, currently done 11,000 km.

Any advice or help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Old 09-16-2009, 06:54 PM

Hi there, Have your Mazda dealer carried out the asm adaptive learn procedure using their I.D.S Equipment? This may resolve the problem .
What engine is in your vehicle?

Old 09-19-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Master P
Hi there, Have your Mazda dealer carried out the asm adaptive learn procedure using their I.D.S Equipment? This may resolve the problem .
What engine is in your vehicle?
Thanks for that.

The engine is the standard 1.5L

Cheers

Old 09-21-2009, 03:11 PM

Mmmmmmm ok , the only fault i have had with the z engines is inlet manifold gaskets wearing and causing an airleak , spray some carb cleaner around the inlet manifold and see if the idle speed fluctuates if it does , this will indicate an air leak. let me know what you find please, if its not an air leak you may have a fault with the throttle body.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Master P
Mmmmmmm ok , the only fault i have had with the z engines is inlet manifold gaskets wearing and causing an airleak , spray some carb cleaner around the inlet manifold and see if the idle speed fluctuates if it does , this will indicate an air leak. let me know what you find please, if its not an air leak you may have a fault with the throttle body.
Hi again,
further to this, the dealer has now advised that it is a problem with the engine management. Apparently it only occurs when the car is stopped at idle and the foot is on the brake.
When the computer is programmed not to reduce the idle when the foot is on the brake the problem disappears, but then the engine warning light remains on constantly.
And apparently this problem is now surfacing in more cars around the world, including Australia and parts of Europe.
They tell us they are awaiting a software upgrade from Mazda Japan, but that could take months.
Does that sound feasible?
Thanks for the help