General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

mazda 6

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 07:49 AM
Default mazda 6

Hello, everyone, my first post and I am after a bit of help/advice with my Mazda, so hopefully this is the right area
I am a complete car novice!

My mazda all of a sudden is not working, I last used it 8 days ago, were I had 0 problems with it that I could tell, as in nothing seemed out the ordinary, started fine etc.
Today when I have gone to it to, I have the following symptoms, central locking key and spare do not unlock the car, the physical key does but only the drivers door, it normally would open them all. key in the ignition it doesn't start, i also get no lights no movement from the dash, no radio etc not a single response.

Now I havn't jump started it yet as I am always paranoid about that causing another issue. But my initial thoughts are battery is dead, the battery is 14 months old. But I am surprised that it would suddenly go completely dead. My experiences of flat batteries before have been you still at least get lights or the doors and windows work, but I get nothing.

Hoping someone can shed some light on if its a simple jump start and wont cause any problems or if it might be a bigger problem

many thanks in advance

Old 04-25-2020, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Jump start it.
Get it fully recharged- usually 6-8hrs
Get the battery professionally tested along with the charge rate.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the response, would you suggest buying a battery charger for it, or take it somewhere as part of a charge and getting tested.
Also with taking a car battery out these days with all the fancy gadgets does anything usually need 'reprogramming'

many thanks again

Old 04-30-2020, 04:40 PM
Default Same Issue with Gen 2 Mazda6

Hello,

I have the same issues with my Mazda6 Gen 2 , 2009 vehicle. Since 28 April 2020.

My normal and spare key did not work.
I couldn't access the central locking to open the car.
I manually opened the car using the key in the driver side.
I then tried to put the car electrics on and nothing at all came up. No lights, no heater, no radio.
All dead.
Engine would not crank up at all.

I thought it may have been dead battery but was slightly concerned due the following.
1) I had driven it 2/3 days ago at a reasonable distance. 5 miles with 3 start ups.
2) When I checked the battery using a car battery charger and checker - there was 0 Voltage detected.
3) Battery was replaced 14 months ago and with a 3 year heavy duty use 12V battery.

When I tried charging it for an hour - there was still no ignition. I even tried when it was charging (not advised but checked to fully understand the issue)

I am thinking if the immobilizer has gone and need to know how to reset it. Surely it can't be anything else.
I had the traction and ABS light come up quite regularly in the last few weeks prior to this (brakes and steering seemed normal).
I haven't been able to OBD scan it yet as Garages are closed due to COVID-19.

Any suggestions welcome!
Thanks
Seb_MZ6

Old 05-01-2020, 06:48 AM

A new battery has now worked for me,
I don't know if its a problem since the swap or if its maybe what caused the battery failure but I now have the following.

Electric windows, the driver panel can no longer control one of the rear power windows. But a passenger couldnt even open it. I first thought fuse but wouldn't all windows fail if a fuse had gone?
Secondly, the alarm is now randomly going off, its parked and flat land, all doors and windows are closed properly. If i use the key fob (spare or main) to lock the car the alarm might sound after a while, stop then later in the day do it again, for no apparent reason. If i lock the car with the key it doesn't go off at all. I had a full day were the alarm didnt sound at all I I used the key fob, but then the next day it started again.

Very confusing

Old 05-09-2020, 01:46 PM

Novice 2020.

My observation is, if you didn't have a current /voltage running through your car while the battery was being changed. Then will mean some of the memory gets lost in the vehicle. Normally it just needs 3-5 V or 3 Amps running through.

I have been told that a 9v battery hooked up to on of the car terminals while changing battery helps keeps 85% of memory stores.

The rear windows. I had this problem.
:
(Using controls from driver side door panel)
Whole both rear windows are closed.

click the buttons for the rear windows all the way down .
Hold this for 3-5 seconds.
Winde the window back to with the same buttons and hold for 3-5 seconds.
This should reset the windows and shouldn't then winde down automatically.

Try it out.
This was done on my Mazda 6 - 2nd Generation