General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Metallic noise on the rear Mazda2003

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Default Metallic noise on the rear Mazda2003

Hey
My name is Art and I am new member. I own 2008 Mazda 3 1.8L for last 3 years and I would like to ask for help with recent issue. Lately I noticed metalic sound comming from rear of the car. It sounds like two metal parts hitting each other while I drive over pot hole or some uneven surface it is similar sound to big washer loosly banging on screw or few small wrenches hitting metal elements, rattling metalic sound.

At first I thought it might be exhaust but today I inspected underbody and it doesnt looks like anything is loose there. Since there is not too many exposed parts in the rear I try to find source of this noise without success.

I took everything off the trunk including wheel and jack but didnt help. It feels something is seriusly loose somewhere and I hope I can get some suggestions here as I am guessing it could be common issue that I just dont know about.

Sound is not there whil;e driving on even surface.

Please be so kind and steer me in right direction.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:46 PM

What happens if you shake the muffler really hard? It could be the insides of it are falling apart.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:23 PM

I tried that already and I gave it serious shake few times, then I use rag to separate moving exhaust parts from hitting heatshields (the sound was completly different) but rattling remained turing short test drive, no luck

Old 07-15-2012, 11:11 PM

Try shoving each corner of the car up and down to check the suspension, bad shocks will not dampen the movement much and the car will settle down slower on that side. I will get under my 3 today when it stops raining and have a look on mine and see what I find, is yours a hatch or sedan?

Old 07-15-2012, 11:41 PM

Pushing back of the car down with weight of my body did not reveal any noise. The model is sedan. I removed plastic panel from trunk edge no loose metal objects found neither. I was wondering if it is some components of the wheel/ suspension related but everything looks tight. I am really loosing my mind here

Old 07-16-2012, 11:21 PM

There is quick udate. I removed left rear wheel where the sound come from just to find out all is in order and looks solid. I listen to source of the noise and is is definately comming from wheel/suspension area. At this point I am thinking it is a shock absorber. I am wondering if there is any kind of element similar to big washer and if this could get loose.

Is there any way to check the shock absorber before I will go further esspecially any kind of metal ring, under plastic cover as I will expect something like that under.

I will greatly appreciate further info on this issue

Old 07-17-2012, 03:39 PM

Here is a diagram of a typical rear suspension:

Incidentially I seem to recall reading that some 5's have an issue with the rear suspension.
Try a google search for TSB's

Old 07-17-2012, 06:25 PM

I suspect my strut is getting bad or ring (between bigger diameter of the strut) and shaft is getting loose but I have no idea how to check that as it is covered under plastic cover. Noise is definatelly comming from somewhere there

Any ideas?

Old 07-18-2012, 09:22 AM

Burbur:
I just looked through the whole conversation and I did not see a mention of the sway bar links. To test those for play you have to pry on the sway bar and observe the ball joints of the links.

Other than that I am at the end of my wits. As long as it clangs it runs! ;-)

Old 07-20-2012, 12:15 AM

I will definitely check that out first - THX I will report soon

Quick Reply: Metallic noise on the rear Mazda2003