General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rusted-through body part replacements needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 12:58 PM
Default Rusted-through body part replacements needed

First post ever here so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

I've got a 2002 Protege 5 that runs fairly decently (some mechanical work needed for sure) but the body is disintegrating. I've been exploring options and stopped at some body work places who laughed me off the lot - rightfully so, as they ballparked it at 5-10 thousand dollars of work.

I'll attach some photos here, the driver side quarter panel I've found decent patches for not too expensive that can replace what's rusted through. The hatchback itself is the biggest problem. It's covered in weatherproof tape at the moment but there is a massive hole. Rear wiper doesn't work as of this time either.

So far I've been told to just drive it until it falls apart, but this is my first car, I wouldn't mind putting in some effort. I do love driving it but I can't find a lot of resources online outlining how I might be able to fix these body problems without paying out the nose.

Will need to cut rust and weld a steel quarter panel patch, found some for 70 bucks or so.

No idea what can be done to save the hatchback. Been looking at local pick n pulls and Kijiji ads but so far no luck finding an entire door replacement.

Could get away with some grinding and bondo.

Could patch this one up myself

Rocker panels are rusting out but these are low on my priority list.

Rocker panels are rusting out but these are low on my priority list.

Last edited by Chris Hewson; 09-18-2019 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 09-18-2019, 02:44 PM

It would probably be better, faster, cheaper to simply sell the car and buy something else.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:00 PM

Unfortunately, I think shipo has the only option. You have too many body panels in too bad of shape to repair. I would have guessed the cost to repair would be greater than the 5-10,000.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
Unfortunately, I think shipo has the only option. You have too many body panels in too bad of shape to repair. I would have guessed the cost to repair would be greater than the 5-10,000.
Yup, that car is Swiss Cheese.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Yup, that car is Swiss Cheese.
That is fair. However I don't even have $1000 to throw at a car right now (I mean you guys see what I am driving lol) and I have winter coming up.

Financially speaking I more or less NEED this unit to pull through another Western Canadian winter. Not as wet or salty as east coast but still sketchy.

I've been looking at spending the bare minimum, like a cheap angle grinder and bucket of bondo line of thought. Fake it til I make it.

I am here at this point begging for advice, aside from selling it because really I'd be looking at more blocks of Swiss Cheese in my budget.

Basically the only thing I've ruled out as an option right now is spray foaming.

Thanks for the replies though guys. Appreciate the time.