General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

sputterin help my

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Default sputterin help my

ok I just changed my valve cover gasket on my 95 protage 1.5. oil was leaking into spark pluges makeing it sputter. i got new plugs wires and stoped the leak why the hell is it worse than it was before???? its lost all power

Old 01-24-2006, 04:39 AM
Default RE: sputterin help my

Did you check or change the spark plugs as well? Common problem is a carbon track burnt into the plug wire as well as the spark plug ceramic. Pull those spark plugs out and look for a black line running down the length of the outer ceramic of the spark plug. That could be the source of the sputter that you are dealing with.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:54 PM

thanks but i had new plugs and wires. i just need to gadeg them one was off by like .010 and thats what casued the hole thig i swer i was getting pretty fed up with it thanks

Old 01-31-2006, 09:30 PM

How long was the oil leaking past that bad gasket Rich? If it was leaking for a long time it's possible that oil could have coated the valves, and with the heat of combustion, coked onto the seating surface and/or the valve stem. This would cause poor cylinder sealing, uneven burn, and a host of other runability problems.

Not knowing any specifics about your car (mileage, overall condition etc), I'd suggest a thorough look over by a good mecnhanic, and possibly an engine performance test to determine where your weak spots are.
Good luck-
Ray