Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Best cold air intake??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 08:08 AM
Default Best cold air intake??

Best cold air intake setup for a 2000 1.8L astina?

Old 06-15-2020, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Taylor
Best cold air intake setup for a 2000 1.8L astina?
There is no such a thing as "the best". There may be "the best" for a specific narrow set of criteria, but overall, for a street vehicle, "the best" is the factory Cold Air Intake your car came with.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
There is no such a thing as "the best". There may be "the best" for a specific narrow set of criteria, but overall, for a street vehicle, "the best" is the factory Cold Air Intake your car came with.
OK yeah great well in that case which would be the best to in for my model to increase performance from the stock one?

Old 06-15-2020, 08:54 AM

OK yeah great well in that case which would be the best to in for my model to increase performance from the stock one?
You can buy a quality kit from CorkSport (very well thought out over other) or a inexpensive kit from sources like (IMHO) ebay all will do (IMO)pretty close to the same results?

I happened to have gotten to see and read and study the engineering concept and designing blueprint behind the MAZDA intake system and it seems that it was never designed for cold air intake at all but rather to warm and maintain a warmer intake air temperatures to add to the component of lowering emissions and increasing MPG.

The flaw in most all the aftermarket CAI is that there is no cool air available to enter the engine compartment with the semi enclosed design. But.... and this is a BIG BUTT, eliminating the stock monstrosity air box does actually free up the small amount of available cooler air in the engine compartment at higher vehicle speeds. Unfortunately again unless your throttle plate is at least 25% open you can not take advantage of this cooler air constantly. The improvement in performance can be measured even with the inexpensive CAI kits but only at WOT. So for spirited driving habits or track use eliminating the stock air box has some advantages.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:01 AM

To add:
I believe shipo did a very well written theorized response about CAI's either on this forum or another ( I could not remember were it was?) that has merit for thought. I did very much like the read but took it to the 5 scientific steps of development and engineered and designed a true functional intake system for my personal Mazda Skyacti-G 2.5 engine.

The pictures below are part of the parts by not close to the complete system. There are components mostly of CorkSoport but some of my own used parts that I have come to use and trust over the decades.
My point is only to consider that you can improve the lowering of intake charge with some thought and testing.

Prior to doing this addition to the intake my IATs (intake air temperatures) were generally on average slightly higher then the ambient overall. And the recovery from a higher IAT took notably longer with the stock intake box.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:28 AM

In looking at CorkSport for your vehicle they do not list one. Look at Mazda Racing. If you get that one I would recommend to thermal wrap it to improve the control of the temperature in the metal tubing.

Old 06-16-2020, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
In looking at CorkSport for your vehicle they do not list one. Look at Mazda Racing. If you get that one I would recommend to thermal wrap it to improve the control of the temperature in the metal tubing.
could you send a link for it please?

Old 06-16-2020, 04:32 PM

could you send a link for it please?
I have my rule about recommending parts on forums...if I have not phiscally at least handled them to see what they are all about I dont tell anyone to try them. My suggestion was exactly what I said to "look at Mazda racing"!
How I found it was simply typing on the www exactly this...2000 1.8l astina cai

When I saw the picture of the CAI and the advertised information I made the recommendation to thermal wrap it.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:57 AM

Callisto
What type of extra gauge are you using? Looks like an Ultra Gauge but not sure.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2020, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by M6Max
Callisto
What type of extra gauge are you using? Looks like an Ultra Gauge but not sure.

Thanks
Yes it is an Ultra Gauge

Look at the ambient