Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

323 ba Astina Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2024, 07:06 AM
Default 323 ba Astina Starting Issue

Hi all
I recently got my old 1996 323 BA Astina back on the road after sitting in the shed for about a year and a half with blown head gasket..
I did the water pump kit, timing kit, fuel filter and brand new radiator at the same time..

Since it sat for so long the fuel pump kinda seized up a bit, I pulled it out and got it working again but replaced it with a new one anyway...
after getting her running, I noticed she was quite fumy while idling (smell of raw fuel) in the cabin but coming from under the hood, also seemed to be using more fuel than I remember.
checked all the hoses, vacuum and fuel etc and all seem ok... figured maybe the new fuel pump was too strong and pumping too much even though it is the correct one for her.
I removed the fuel rail and injectors and tested them and reseated them and the fuel smell seems to have gone away now.

I have also noticed that when I go to start her, she will not start on first crank, I have to turn the key, crank her once and then turn the key off and on again to get the hum of the fuel pump and her to start.
fuel pump does not seem to kick in til the second turn of the key.

Im also getting a strange squeal under the hood that sounds like a dry pulley or belt squeal but cant trace it, it only lasts for about 20 or 30 seconds when first started and then goes away but the car also seems to run rough and under powered during that time.
I tend to start it and wait for the squeal to disappear before driving off.... pretty much at every startup weather hot or cold...

the last few days I noticed the revs have gone up and dont seem to want to drop down until I come to a complete stand still
Tonight I replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator with a new one, hoping this will help but havent driven it since the replacement yet, will try it tomorrow...

The car ran perfectly fine without any problems before the head gasket went on her and she sat for a year and a half without being started
Since getting her back on the road it seems to be one gremlin after another.... through process of elimination I hope to get her back to her former glory....

On another note, the doors are frameless and at highway speeds she gets an awful squeal from the window seals..... any ideas how I can stop that??
Im guessing the seals probably need to be replaced (although they still look to be in good condition) but hoping there is a way to replenish them....

I appreciate any ideas and recommendations

Regards
Red