Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

B2200 Piston Rings

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by sean-182@hotmail.com
Can a ring job be done with out pulling out the motor?
and can the piston and rod be removed with out dropping crank?
I only have a 2 day time frame to change rings as I travel.

Thanks
92 b2200
Can a ring job be done with out pulling out the motor? - YES

can the piston and rod be removed with out dropping crank? - YES

I did pistons, rings, connecting rod bearings, and had the cylinder head machined on my B2200 Oct. 2011 without dropping the engine. See mazdabscene.com • View thread - My October 2011 B2200 Engine Rebuild for photos and full project description

Last edited by Cusser; 01-30-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 AM

Thanks cusser. good info.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol
Are the guides replaceable on this engine by chance? I know some are easy to replace, some can be replaced but just arent worth it and some you just replace the head cause you cant change them.
I have not yet come across a head that the guides can not be changed in a cylinder head.

There is 2 basic styles, a "press fit", aluminium heads use this style
The other is part of the casting of the cylinder head, commonly found in cast iron heads, be these can be replaced also, by the use of a "core drill" then installing a replacement press fit guide.

After any guide replacement, the valve seats have to be cut to index the center line of the valve guide to the valve seat.

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/gen...um-head-21540/

Originally Posted by Kevinkpk
If oil is migrating into the combustion section of the cylinder it has to pass through the compression rings. If the compresion is good, as stated valve SEALS, not guides is where the oil is entering into the cylinder.
Some oil is held by the cross hatch of the cylinder walls, allowing oil past the compression rings.

Originally Posted by Jesse Harris
Hi, I'm having the same problem smokes blue at start up only,I have good compression all the way across put new valve guide seals in and it dose the same should i have soaked the seals first?Any input would be great!
Just a small amount of oil is needed when installing any seal, this way small tears in the seal lip do not occur.

If you still have blue smoke on start up, or long idle periods after installing new seals properly, then the guides may have excessive wear allowing the valve more movement, this will cause one side of the seal to load, allowing a gap on the other side that allows excessive oil past the valve stem seal.

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol
It IS possible if your block is not worn to the point of having a step at the top of the cylinder bore, if it does have a step the rings wont clear it and you gotta pull them out from the bottom. Why are you doing a ring job and not honing/cleaning up the bores also?
In 20 years working in machine shops, I have not once found an engine that the pistons can come out the bottom. I have disassembled hundreds if not thousands of engines. The main webbing is in the way. Yes the rod will clear, but the piston will get caught, now the oil rings are out of the bore and flexed out causing another issue.

I have not disassembled every engine ever made, so there may be one or some that the pistons can come out the bottom.

Even with excessive cylinder wear, of .015 + the pistons will knock out the top. The lip will have a taper, and the edges of the rings are beveled, so it pushes the rings back into the ring lands of the piston.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:06 AM

Not trying to discourage you, but since your truck is rusted to hell, you should run straight 40 wt oil and use a bottle of STP to slow oil burning.
It's not worth it to tear down your engine to install rings in a day. If you want to fix it, then get another engine to rebuild and drop in. Or, drive it with STP till you find another vehicle. You can sell me your old truck for the engine - I need a rebuildable core, ha!
JT

Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 AM

Its for sale right now. $400. St. Catharines Ontario. Now that its cold, she'll start engulfing my neighborhood every morning again. I made a passing person on the sidewalk go into a coughing fit. enough is enough lol.
PS Ive tried lucas and seafoam and all different kinds. Even in ridiculous half half quantities. Ive tried thick oil.