Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

b2200 truck died on me

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Default b2200 truck died on me

Help!! My truck has died. I went out today in it and it has been acting odd lately. It has got to where it didn't have good power pulling up hills. It has slowly gotten worse I thought but was not for sure until today. I drove into a larger city and ran about 65-70. I noticed I had to floor it to go good. I stopped it and went into a mall for about 4-5 hours with my family. When we got into it to leave I warmed it up at first, and I noticed it did not idle that good, it usually idles at 1k. I gave it some gas to get it to 2k to keep it going, I thought it could have been because it wasn't warm. It acts odd until it gets warmed up. Well we got out on the road and after about 20 minutes it started loosing power more and more. I pulled off the interstate and pulled into a store and had it towed home. By that time you had to rev it up to 3500 rpm just to keep it running.

Heres some things about it and what I noticed. Its a 91 Mazda b2200 with the extended cab. It has a automatic transmission but it has had a replacement 2.2 engine from a car I was told when I got it. I had the original carb replaced with a webber carb when I got it.
Now here is what I have noticed. It has been using some oil since I have noticed it loosing power up hills. I have not noticed any major oil under it. I have the hose from the valve cover to the webber air filter. I put the valve in it to keep the oil out of the carb but I have noticed oil on the inside of the filter from it. There is oil on the engine but I am not sure if it wouldn't be normal for its age. I did check the oil and transmission fluids and they seemed fine after the trouble. Now heres something that may be causing it and I need opinions on it. I did notice that either the webber carb or the spacer between the carb and the intake manifold is loose. I was able to wiggle it some and the carb would move. Not up and down but slides back and forth. I did seem to hear some type of air or leaking from that side of the engine today when we had trouble.

So heres what I am wondering,if the carb or spacer is loose I am thinking it could account for the loss of power. I am thinking the looser it got I had to give it more gas so it would get more rpms. I use to be able to run it 2k rpm for the most part and lately I would have to hit between 3.5k to 4k rpm to get up hills where it had been at the most 2.5k rpm. I am thinking the more rpms it ran the more it would vibrate the engine making the issue worse over time. As far as loosing the oil I am wondering if it had been going into the carb from the return hose from the valve cover and being burned up. But the exhaust has not looked like oil was being burned in the engine. I am thinking the pressure from the higher rpms may have even forced it out. I did notice it did have a small amount of oil under it today but I am wondering if that could have been from the pressure built up. I also wonder if maybe the valve cover could be loose causing oil to seap out. I had trouble with the transmission leaking fluid last spring but I found out it was thebolts loose on the cover. I tightened them up and no more issue. So if I tighten up the bolts that hold the carb could this solve my issue. Thanksin advance.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Default RE: b2200 truck died on me

it sounds like you should replace the gasket on the carb.trytighening the bolts first.if it still hisses then you may need to change the gaskets on thecarb.after doing so initally...drive it for a few days...then retighten the bolts to make sure the seal is good, check your fuel pump...i had the same problem and ended up using an electric pump on a carbed motor. check the valve cover cuz after a while oil will leak from them..it takes 15 minutes to replace and does much good.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Default RE: b2200 truck died on me

Yes, the carb and/or both adapters being loose allows air to enter, making the mixture leaner, maybe explaining why you had to add more fuel by flooring it to get it to run at all. I'm a huge fan of "fix first what you KNOW is bad", in this case your loose carb and two adapters. There is a three-piece gasket replacement # 99005.675 for the Weber 32/36 DGEV (3 gaskets: manifold/adapter, adapter/spacer, spacer/carb). Use gasket sealer and torque all to specifications.If you are in a big hurry, maybe you can re-use your existing gaskets if you coat them with Permatex, or try cutting your own gaskets from stock (if you're careful). For the gasket kit, try:

Performance Parts Warehouse 800-654-2778, Carbs Only 877-333-3130, or webercarbsdirect.com