Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

B2600 Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 10:36 PM
Default B2600 Engine Swap

Hey guys,

So I'm planning to start my first project car and I'm looking at getting a 4th or 5th Generation B-Series Ute (for nostalgia reasons since my dad has own a 4th gen for the better part of 20 years) as the base model for the project. The aim of the project is to get a V6 for this ute and have it run at somewhere between 200 and 300 horsepower. Beyond doing this, the only changes I want to make to the car mechanically is change up parts to make sure everything handles the power. The idea of doing this is so that I have a ute with a bit of oomph, is fun to drive, and is practical.

Now, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the mechanical side of cars, so I was hoping that - through this project - I could come out of it with a fun car and learn a lot along the way. So with all that in mind, let's begin with my questions:
  1. So With the B-Series Utes, would it matter - for a project like this - if I got a 4th Gen or 5 Gen? So for example, would one gen be easier to do an engine swap on or otherwise modify compared to the other? Or wouldn't it matter?
  2. With regards to engine swapping, what is some good material to read so that I can better understand the process, what's needed, and what I need to know?
  3. With regards to engine swapping, a mate of mine mentioned something about the benefits of iron blocks (especially if I want to boost them). With that in mind, I started looking for Mazda engines that may fit in a B-Series ute and kept the buzzword "iron" in mind. I cam across the JE and JE-ZE engines which sounded like they were exactly the sort of engine I was looking for (based on what very little info I could find on them). So much two questions with relation to this are:
    1. Could the JE and/or JE-ZE engines be fitted into any 4th Gen or 5th Gen B-Series Ute?
    2. Could either engine handle boost?
  4. Would there be any other engines that would work for a project like this?
  5. I understand that other parts of the car may need to be upgraded to accommodate such a project (e.g. the gearbox may need to be changed, etc etc etc), so where would I find information that would help me on this front?
  6. Tools - I'm gonna need a lot of tools and I'm counting on discovering which tools I need as I read more and eventually get started on this. However, one big questions is: Which brand? I know about Snap On because I work as a car washer at a Car Dealership and all the guys used their tools, but are they the best brand? Are there cheaper brands that I'm better off getting? Or should I get a better brand? Or is Snap On the way to go?
Now... being inexperienced... I don't know what other questions to ask, so any answers and insights would be very much appreciated.

Cheers