Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Engine compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Default Engine compatibility?

Just bought an '89 B2200 Cab-Plus 4-spd auto. I hate carbs so I'm researching a future project of changing it over to fuel-injection. Anybody already do this who has some advice on compatibility of parts? For example, I have access to the 2.2L 12-valve head of the Probe/626. Is this the same head as on the FI B2200s of the early 90's? I would love to find out. I'm assuming that if it worked on my block, I would still need an ECU, different intake mani with fuel-rail and injectors, throttle body MAF, exhaust mani and wiring harness. Can you think of any other parts that might be necessary?

If I run into a 2.6L in the junkyard, does it use the same MAF? Same intake manifold? Same head? Same exhaust mani? Even maybe the ECU?

What about other engines? I wouldn't even mind a V-6 (2.5L DOHC or the 3.0L) if they would fit. Anybody swap one of these in?

I did see a 13B swap in a truck once. That was pretty cool, but like with the above engines, I don't know which motors hook up to my tranny.

Let's talk!!!!

Old 12-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Default RE: Engine compatibility?

Okay, how's about this..... I also have access to an F2T (2.2L - 12 valve turbo I4). Anybody here ever drop one of those in? Come on guys.... I can't be the only one who's interestee in this.... LOL

Old 12-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Default RE: Engine compatibility?

The B2600i (G6 engine) has only one thing in common with the F2. It uses the same distributor as the fuel injected B2200. It would be possable to bolt one in with some engine mount modifications. You would also need the starter, flywheel, and bell housing. To mount it to your current transmission you would have to transfer the B2600i bell housing onto you're B2200 tranny. If you want the B2600i tranny as well you would have to fabricate a rear transmission mount and modify a driveshaft. The B2600i uses a beefier transmission and is not as easy to interchange as other mazda transmissions.

The 12-valve head found on the MX-6, 626, and ford probe will bolt onto the block but the distributor will have to go in the firewall unless you convert to a standalone fuel management system of some sort and convert to distributorless ignition. You will have a similar problem with the intake manifold, as it is mounted it will be in the firewall. Several people have gotten around this by making an addapter plate and rotating the upper intake manifold 180 deg so it faces the front The block is the same it will bolt right up.The exhaust manifolds have the same bolt pattern so you could put the turbo manifold on the 8-valve head if you wished.

Rotary engines aren't that difficult to swap. There is a guy that now makes engine mounts that bolt in place of the cross member under the oil pan. You're truck tranny will mate up to it IF you swap the rotary bell housing onto it (may also need starter). If you don't like to look like you're trying to shadow box while driving you can put you're truck tail housing and shifter feeton the rotary transmission and it will bolt in. I'm currently running a miata transmission in my truck after swapping the bell housing and tail housing. The rest would be installing fuel injection if so equipt or if you went the easy route hooking up a throttle cable and the basics.

Other than the Kia Sportage engines and the FE3 nothing else is a "bolt in" and would require a lot of fabrication.