Mazda CX-3 Engineered with breakthrough SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY, the CX-3 subcompact crossover delivers unmatched driving dynamics right alongside outstanding fuel economy.

P0192 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2022 | 07:39 AM
Default Exact same thing happened to me twice!

Originally Posted by xilu0306
Hi, I had the same issue back in Feb, 2020. My car is a 2016 CX-3 GT, odometer at 90,378 when the engine shut off while I was driving at highway speeds on 2/16/2020. I had 60 miles remaining on the gas tank. I managed to slow down to the shoulder of the interstate while I called for towing. The car would not start, even though I kept trying pressing the start, but after 20 minutes, the car started shakily. I was right by an exit with a gas station so I pulled into the station and pumped more gas. Then drove it back home and the next day took it to the Mazda service center, where they said they found p0192 and then replaced the high pressure fuel pump, at $1300

Fast forward a couple months later, I'm making the same drive, the car stopped at the same exact place on the interstate. I remember I also had 60 miles remaining on the gas tank. So this time I just waited and re-started my car and drove it off the exit to the gas station and filled it with gas.

Really dangerous problem and lucky I did not cause any accidents. I keep my car above 100 miles remaining on the gas tank meter now. Has anyone tried to contact Mazda to see if they got a lemon?

this same situation happened to me twice. Putting some gas in solved it, but now I don’t trust my range and feel like I need to fill up at 1/4 tank. My quit on me with 40 miles left, and again 7 months later with 60miles left, no fuel light ever came on. The CEL did.

Old 04-23-2022 | 09:59 PM
Default Potential P0192 Cause

This is going to be overly long, but a lot of people are perhaps spending a lot of money fixing the wrong problem. My kids share a 2016 CX-5, with about 67,000 on it. A couple days ago my son was driving it and called me to tell me it wasn't shifting correctly and was lacking power. I put a code scanner on it and found P0192 (low fuel rail pressure) and P0171 (System too lean).

For anyone coming along who doesn't know, "system too lean" means the fuel mixture is too lean - the engine isn't getting enough gas. "Low fuel rail pressure" means that the fuel in the rail isn't pressurized highly enough. The rail gets fuel from the high pressure fuel pump, and sends it to the fuel injectors. In Mazda's and other cars with direct injection, there are two fuel pumps. A low pressure fuel pump in the gas tank pushes fuel to the high pressure fuel pump, which is mounted on the front of the engine. The high pressure fuel pump pressurizes the fuel to about 500 psi at idle and about 2900 psi at full throttle. When the sensor senses low fuel pressure, it throws the code P0192. That code causes the car to go into limp mode. My son was in town at the time this happened, so things weren't very dramatic. Limp mode makes it difficult to go very fast. The car seems to have progressively less power when I tried to get it to go from 35 to 45. When people above reported stalling on the highway, I'm wondering if limp mode wasn't overly aggressive.

So, the symptoms for this car were hard starting, with stumbling for several seconds, and then limp mode.

From reading various forum posts, the problem parts seemed to potentially be the fuel pressure sensor (located in the fuel rail) or the high pressure fuel pump. The system "too lean code", which comes from another sensor, meant that the fuel pressure sensor seems to be working correctly. Which left the high pressure fuel pump. Digging into the scanner some more, I could see that the low fuel pressure occurred right at start up, and triggered limp mode. After that, the fuel pressures shown were normal.

So I searched around some more, and found the above posts where people had the problem when the fuel tank was low, and adding fuel remedied the problem. I was at less than 1/4 tank, so I put in some gas. Instant fix! No more check engine light, and the car runs fine with no codes. So now I was really baffled. How can being low on gas in the tank cause low pressure in the high pressure side of the fuel system?

After googling around, I may have found an answer. Denso, who makes low pressure fuel pumps for a lot of different manufacturers, recalled several million of them a couple of years ago. They determined that there was a manufacturing defect that causes the pump impellers to crack and deform. Then they don't move enough gas to the front of the engine. I guess there is no pressure sensor between the tank and the high pressure fuel pump, so the problem isn't recognized by the car until the sensor in the fuel rail sees it. Several auto makers have issued recalls, including Mazda. But Mazda only went back as far as 2018. Toyota recalled cars as far back as 2013. There are now several lawsuits against various auto makers arguing that Denso knew about the problem in 2015, and the recalls should go further back in time. These two articles do a good job of covering the history of the problem:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...mpellers.shtml

http://www.subarucomplaints.com/denso-fuel-pumps/

The only good news is that it is somewhat cheaper to replace the fuel pump in the tank. But it is still expensive. I'm going to file a complaint with NHTSA here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index. If enough of us do that, perhaps they will force Mazda to do a recall. NHTSA is also at fault. It shouldn't be that difficult to figure out that the problem goes further back than Mazda would like to admit.

Hopefully this helps somebody.

Old 05-12-2022 | 08:04 AM
Default Code: P0192

So what exactly do I need to replace? I have a 2017 Mazda CX-9. I've been dealing with this issue all week and going through the dealer is out of the question. The real problem is finding the part because no auto parts store carries it. I'm a woman that's trying to find out what's going on so I won't be taken advantage of.

Old 05-12-2022 | 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Marikyecem4
So what exactly do I need to replace? I have a 2017 Mazda CX-9. I've been dealing with this issue all week and going through the dealer is out of the question. The real problem is finding the part because no auto parts store carries it. I'm a woman that's trying to find out what's going on so I won't be taken advantage of.
I'm going to replace the fuel pump in the tank. They are readily available. The key to knowing if that is the correct part or not is this - if the symptoms go away when you fill the tank, and return when the tank is low, the problem is the fuel pump in the tank. If filling the tank doesn't solve the problem, the fuel pump in the tank could still be the issue, but it also might be something else.

Mazda put in an access panel under the rear seat to make it easier to remove the pump. So it is a pretty easy job. There are a couple videos on YT showing the process. Always disconnect the battery when working on the fuel pump.

Old 05-14-2022 | 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

There is a recall out on certain late model Mazda's for the fuel pump. Might to check if your vehicle is affected.

Old 02-02-2023 | 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by MyKidsCX-5
This is going to be overly long, but a lot of people are perhaps spending a lot of money fixing the wrong problem. My kids share a 2016 CX-5, with about 67,000 on it. A couple days ago my son was driving it and called me to tell me it wasn't shifting correctly and was lacking power. I put a code scanner on it and found P0192 (low fuel rail pressure) and P0171 (System too lean).

For anyone coming along who doesn't know, "system too lean" means the fuel mixture is too lean - the engine isn't getting enough gas. "Low fuel rail pressure" means that the fuel in the rail isn't pressurized highly enough. The rail gets fuel from the high pressure fuel pump, and sends it to the fuel injectors. In Mazda's and other cars with direct injection, there are two fuel pumps. A low pressure fuel pump in the gas tank pushes fuel to the high pressure fuel pump, which is mounted on the front of the engine. The high pressure fuel pump pressurizes the fuel to about 500 psi at idle and about 2900 psi at full throttle. When the sensor senses low fuel pressure, it throws the code P0192. That code causes the car to go into limp mode. My son was in town at the time this happened, so things weren't very dramatic. Limp mode makes it difficult to go very fast. The car seems to have progressively less power when I tried to get it to go from 35 to 45. When people above reported stalling on the highway, I'm wondering if limp mode wasn't overly aggressive.

So, the symptoms for this car were hard starting, with stumbling for several seconds, and then limp mode.

From reading various forum posts, the problem parts seemed to potentially be the fuel pressure sensor (located in the fuel rail) or the high pressure fuel pump. The system "too lean code", which comes from another sensor, meant that the fuel pressure sensor seems to be working correctly. Which left the high pressure fuel pump. Digging into the scanner some more, I could see that the low fuel pressure occurred right at start up, and triggered limp mode. After that, the fuel pressures shown were normal.

So I searched around some more, and found the above posts where people had the problem when the fuel tank was low, and adding fuel remedied the problem. I was at less than 1/4 tank, so I put in some gas. Instant fix! No more check engine light, and the car runs fine with no codes. So now I was really baffled. How can being low on gas in the tank cause low pressure in the high pressure side of the fuel system?

After googling around, I may have found an answer. Denso, who makes low pressure fuel pumps for a lot of different manufacturers, recalled several million of them a couple of years ago. They determined that there was a manufacturing defect that causes the pump impellers to crack and deform. Then they don't move enough gas to the front of the engine. I guess there is no pressure sensor between the tank and the high pressure fuel pump, so the problem isn't recognized by the car until the sensor in the fuel rail sees it. Several auto makers have issued recalls, including Mazda. But Mazda only went back as far as 2018. Toyota recalled cars as far back as 2013. There are now several lawsuits against various auto makers arguing that Denso knew about the problem in 2015, and the recalls should go further back in time. These two articles do a good job of covering the history of the problem:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...mpellers.shtml

Denso Fuel Pump's Deformed Impellers Recalled Because They Stop Sending Fuel to the Engine

The only good news is that it is somewhat cheaper to replace the fuel pump in the tank. But it is still expensive. I'm going to file a complaint with NHTSA here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index. If enough of us do that, perhaps they will force Mazda to do a recall. NHTSA is also at fault. It shouldn't be that difficult to figure out that the problem goes further back than Mazda would like to admit.

Hopefully this helps somebody.
Exactly what this post says. My vehicle is a 2016 Cx-5 - It threw a check engine light and began having erratic power delivery while driving at highway speeds. The next day the vehicle would not start. Codes thrown were P0192 and P0171. Following low pressure fuel pump replacement, vehicle resumed normal operation.

Old 04-24-2023 | 10:12 PM
ZUK
Default 2016 cx-5 p0192

Thank you MyKidsCX-5 and Cx5.Owner........My sister's Mazda is a 2016 CX-5 non-turb and recently experienced the stalling on the highway with 1/4 tank of gas. P0192 was the single code that showed up. Putting some gas in it seems to make it run a bit better but far from perfect. I agree with the logic that it points to the low pressure in-tank fuel pump when adding more gas seems to make it behave a little better. The plan is to visit the Mazda/Ford dealership in Prescott in the morning and see how they handle it. I will update this thread when I know more.

Ken

Old 04-28-2023 | 09:13 AM
ZUK

Update------Got the car back yesterday.....they diagnosed it as a bad High Pressure fuel pump and replaced it. Much to my surprise that got rid of the P0192 and the car runs like a champ now. I figured like most of you that it would be the low pressure in-tank fuel pump but apparently did not work this way this time. If anything changes in the upcoming weeks I will update again but, if you're curious, here's what the bill looked like.......my sister smartly opted for the extended 100,000mile/7year zero deductible warranty so zero cost to her........til this upcoming October This is the first real issue with the CX-5 in 7 years.....hopefully the last.
We were actually pleased with the fast service/accurate diagnosis of Galpin Mazda of Prescott.

Labor 449.50
PE01-13-555 (rubber seal) 4.18
PY01-13-290A (fuel pipe) 112.04
PE19-20-3F0 (fuel pump) 767.43

Total 1333.15

ZUK http://gearinstalls.com

Last edited by ZUK; 04-28-2023 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-16-2023 | 09:45 PM

Thanks to everyone here that shared their info. I had the same issue with my 2015 CX-5 2.5L with 60K miles. Loss of power, engine light on. Luckily I was close to home and it ran well enough to take side streets for a couple of miles but it would not restart the next day when cold. I'm an amateur mechanic, so I do my own repairs. I found code P0192 but my basic fuel pressure gauge will not work on this car. I figured that I could spend hundreds of dollars on the right testing equipment, I could have it towed to a good shop and spend much more, or I could spend less on replacing both pumps if it came to that. Luckily it didn't.
I disconnected the fuel line going to the high pressure pump and held it over a catch pan while trying to start the engine, fuel flowed out in what looked like normal pressure. This means that the in tank pump is working, but I can't prove that it's working 100%. Usually electric pumps either work or not. I removed the high pressure pump from the engine, nothing obviously wrong. I ordered a new high pressure pump on line, installed it(pretty easy to do) and it worked. Starts and runs like it should. Cleared the code, all good. I spent $540 on a SMP #GDP510 pump which looks identical to the OEM pump and is made in Thailand, not China. I found many on eBay for under $100 but I did not trust them. I am surprised that the engine could run on the pressure from the electric pump. Maybe the old high pressure pump was doing something but not enough.

Old 05-17-2023 | 10:53 AM
ZUK

Thanks for sharing, Craig.

Quick Reply: P0192 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor issue