Mazda CX-3 Engineered with breakthrough SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY, the CX-3 subcompact crossover delivers unmatched driving dynamics right alongside outstanding fuel economy.

P0192 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2023 | 04:40 AM
Default Code P0192

Originally Posted by Craigrad
Thanks to everyone here that shared their info. I had the same issue with my 2015 CX-5 2.5L with 60K miles. Loss of power, engine light on. Luckily I was close to home and it ran well enough to take side streets for a couple of miles but it would not restart the next day when cold. I'm an amateur mechanic, so I do my own repairs. I found code P0192 but my basic fuel pressure gauge will not work on this car. I figured that I could spend hundreds of dollars on the right testing equipment, I could have it towed to a good shop and spend much more, or I could spend less on replacing both pumps if it came to that. Luckily it didn't.
I disconnected the fuel line going to the high pressure pump and held it over a catch pan while trying to start the engine, fuel flowed out in what looked like normal pressure. This means that the in tank pump is working, but I can't prove that it's working 100%. Usually electric pumps either work or not. I removed the high pressure pump from the engine, nothing obviously wrong. I ordered a new high pressure pump on line, installed it(pretty easy to do) and it worked. Starts and runs like it should. Cleared the code, all good. I spent $540 on a SMP #GDP510 pump which looks identical to the OEM pump and is made in Thailand, not China. I found many on eBay for under $100 but I did not trust them. I am surprised that the engine could run on the pressure from the electric pump. Maybe the old high pressure pump was doing something but not enough.
Hi Craig, i have 2014 mazda cx-5 GT 2.5L and last month i it starts have problem in shifting but after 2 days check engine light turn on and after scanning it comes up code P0192. I kept driving with slow acceleration it was going smooth then I removed code and engine light gone. Then i drove it for a month gently and it was running smooth until today i pushed it little but while overtaking and code came back. I checked for fuel rail sensor online and couldn’t find one with whole assembly and it’s not cheaper, any recommendations should i go to mazda or change the whole assembly? Or try to get sensor itself from junkyard? TIA

Old 05-27-2023 | 11:17 AM
ZUK

Hi pritam,
my 2 cents....it's hard to properly diagnose it without the more expensive code "analyzer" that displays the tank's low pressure fuel pump reading and also the hi-pressure reading of the pump located on top of the engine.
Roll the dice and maybe the hi-pressure pump?

Old 05-27-2023 | 11:55 AM

pritman,
I agree with ZUK. I took a gamble with replacing the high pressure pump since I was able to replace the pump for less than what the proper testing equipment costs. I doubt that the sensor is the problem but it would be nice if someone offered a replacement sensor rather than the entire fuel rail. The only recommendation I have is to remove the fuel line where it goes into the high pressure pump, put the end of the line into something that can catch fuel, and crank the engine over for a couple of seconds. If fuel sprays out of the line, then the in tank pump is doing something. No way to know if it's full pressure without gauges that will connect to the line. I could not find any low cost fuel pressure gauges that would connect. In my case, since the in tank pump was pumping fuel, I went with the assumption that the problem was with the high pressure pump and this was correct.
My CX-5 had different symptoms from yours. When the problem started, I was able to drive it home. The engine was already warm. The next day, the engine would not start. Cold engines need more fuel. I have read on-line that an engine may be able to run on just the high pressure pump, so maybe your issue is from the in-tank pump. I never found much about the sensor being a problem. Aftermarket in-tank pumps are cheap on eBay and easy to replace. The fuel filter is also in the pump. It might be worth a try just for the new filter.

Old 10-14-2024 | 07:31 PM
Default P0192 error

I'm relieved to hopefully have figured out what's going on with my 2017 Mazda CX-5. Twice now, it's stalled on the highway with a check engine light popping up--both times was driving around 60-70mph for a couple of hours and had about a quarter tank of gas left. The first time it happened, the car wouldn't start again and I had to get it towed, but the shop couldn't find anything wrong and the car started up the next day. The second time, the car did start again after 20 minutes after stalling out, and I got it to a dealership in time for them to find the P0192 code. The regular code reader didn't find anything initially--they had to get a tech to plug their laptop into my car and that's what found the P0192. Then they sent me on my way, because the check engine light had gone off and they said the car was "drivable" again.

After reading here and many other places online, it really sounds like the Denso low-pressure fuel pump is to blame, that's the source of the recall for 2018 and 2019 Mazda CX-5s experiencing this same issue (https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...mp-a6120295804).

If the 2017 model also uses that fuel pump, why isn't it included in the recall? For anyone who experienced this car behavior and got the P0192 code and had the fuel pump replaced, did that completely solve the issue? I'll pay for the replacement for my peace of mind (and to avoid a horrifying collision on the freeway), but if this is due to a faulty part, it really should be covered by the recall. Shame on you, Mazda. Is there anywhere we can write them, other than filing a complaint on the NHTSA site (https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index)?