Mazda CX-30 The place to discuss the newest compact SUV addition to Mazda's lineup.

No Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 06:42 PM
Exclamation CX-30 No brakes when depressing foot brake

Nearly ran over a pedestrian as brake pedal went solid & would not depress, frightening.. Anybody else suffers this?
To replicate the issue start your auto CX 30 then switch off. leave 5 mins then restart. As you do so apply the foot brake & you may find that the footbrake will not move (Mazda have confirmed in writing that this can happen in not just my vehicle). This sequence replicates the effect I encountered & is what Mazda describes in writing as a "characteristic". This effect has been demonstrated at my local dealer but only stationary (vehicles were parked in front of my vehicle). My issued occurred when the battery was partially discharged, car started OK, but brakes did not work whilst in motion. tried to reject car through finance company (Santendar) but they have accepted Mazda's report on the matter.
UK Governments car safety body DVSA is in talks with Mazda Japan & so far has not received enough information to disperse they concerns. Mazda do not seem to be taking this seriously but you only need to be moving slowly to pull in to the path of an oncoming vehicle? I have been in dispute with Mazda now for nearly a year.
My vehicle is due to be be returned from the dealership to me this Wednesday which will enable me to conduct further tests, I will post more info when my vehicle is returned.
Would be very interested to hear from anyone that has experienced the same or can replicate the solid brake pedal ( I apparently damaged the braking system as I, according to the vehicles log, "applied excessive pressure" as you would when trying to stop from hitting someone), I would be extremely interested to hear from anyone that has had the same problem or tries the 5 min example & then (if safe to do so) engages drive and checks if the foot brake works.
As the CX30 is based on the 3 I suspect this will exhibit the same issue, please confirm.
Please stay safe.
At this stage no recalls have been announced for this issue.

Last edited by Boffer; 06-01-2021 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 06-03-2021, 07:02 AM
Default CX-30 No brakes when depressing foot brake - more info

Below is an extract from a timeline that I provided to the UK Goverment agency (DVSA) that explains the sequence of events the 1st time the brake pedal locked.

"27 July 20
Having reversed into a parking slot at the local supermarket, about 1 mile from work, and returned from buying lunch being in a hurry I started the car & unlike normal engaged forward drive before putting the seat belt & driving glasses on (with the intention of doing so as I drove down the service road).
As I partially released the pressure on the foot brake to creep forward out of the parking bay I could feel the pedal pulsating in sync with the clicking noises.
As I cleared the bay I released the pedal to accelerate down the service road and maybe a second later a pedestrian stepped out from behind a car into my path. With the clicking noises still audible I stamped on the brake pedal to perform an emergency stop but found that the pedal would not move. When the noises stop the pedal could be depressed and the car brought to a halt without hitting the pedestrian. Not sure if I released the pedal and the noises stopped or whether the noises just stopped."

The cure offered by the dealer was to charge the battery, yet the car had started ok?

Old 06-03-2021, 08:20 AM
Default CX-30 No brakes when depressing foot brake - more info - update

Had this response to the last post which I also shared on another forum!

"I noticed this from initial ownership, but adapted my driving to suit.
If I release the brake pedal fully, then re-engage the brake pedal to select a gear, all is well.

If I keep the brake pedal down, start the vehicle, engage a gear and partially release the foot brake to creep forward or back, then per your observation, the brake pedal is very hard with pulsing / clicking.

It caught me out at first, but now release the foot brake and re-apply between start and gear selection."