Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2014 CX-5 Manual - Popping out of 4th Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 05:03 PM
Question 2014 CX-5 Manual - Popping out of 4th Gear

Hello everyone,

I've tried to comb through the forums, and it sounds like maybe what is occurring to my partner's 2014 CX-5 (Manual) is known, but I can't find any specific details.

The car 'pops' out of 4th gear. You could be casually driving along and if you're in 4th there is the possibility that it pops out. (Been in the shop, and nothing is done to it. The last time we took it in they said the wrong oil was in it, since then it still pops out.)

We bought the car just over a year ago 2nd hand. Since the purchase, we've been having issues with the dealership and the state warranty. After a number of mechanic workshop visits and numerous days in the shop, we are still experiencing the same issue and I would like to be able to send it back with more direction regarding potential issues.

A more detailed report/history is as below:
Soon after purchase, it started popping out of gear. We took it back and it was in the shop for almost 3 weeks. During this time we were left in the dark most of the time. When we did phone them, the story of what was wrong kept changing. The first time we checked in, they said the transmission will need to be replaced (This is what the Mazda mechanics suggested to the dealer). Then a bit of time after they said they would have to rebuild the transmission. after that, we were advised that they were waiting on the one part that should fix the issue. By the time we picked it up, they said "we've given it a good clean and some new oil".
This detail gives me suspicion as originally, they said the transmission had to be replaced. But being a used car, I think they've tried to go as cheap as possible, and potentially avoided the real issue.

Once getting it back it literally popped out of 4th driving home. With this, we sent it back. This happened another few times (back and forth from the mechanic).

We were lucky enough that we have in writing that the transmission is covered under the stat warranty as it's an issue we've had from the very beginning.

the most recent mechanic trip had the car in the shop for a week, and they drove it over 100 kms. They've said in all instances they cannot replicate the instance and are trying to suggest that we don't know how to drive manuals.
They replaced the oil in the transmission and said they had the wrong kind. From what they said, they used heavier oil from what was in it.

Can someone please help with the suggested issues? forums or other information?

We've had the car in possession for less time than it's been in the shop, and recently. with the help of a new company car, the CX-5 now doesn't get driven often as we are tired of the back and forth. (I know that's the goal of the dealer, as they just need to wear us down, i just need help on where to go from here.)

any help is greatly appreciated.
kindest regards,
Michael

Old 03-23-2023, 06:10 PM

There are multiple possible issues from worn parts to a bad transmission.
There is a known issue with that happening in 3rd gear but not sure if it applies to you.
The shop you're going to as you describe doesn't make me "warm and fuzzy".
Some vehicles may exhibit one of the following concerns:– Hard to shift into 3rd, 4th, 5th, and/or 6th gear.

– Sometimes the shifter may jump out of 3rd gear over a road bump when accelerating after deceleration at 25-40 mph (40-65 km/h)

This is caused by a failure of the related clutch hub(s). To correct the problem of hard shifting, the shape of the 3-4 and 5-6 clutch hub has been changed. A surface treatment has now been added to the 3-4 clutch hub to prevent 3rd gear from jumping out.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1.Verify customer concern.

2.Remove the transaxle.

3. Replace the 3-4 and 5-6 clutch hub with a modified one and the 3rd gear with a new one. If 3rd gear is jumping out, replace the 3rd gear with a new one.

4. Install the transaxle.

5. Verify repair.

Old 03-23-2023, 07:25 PM

Thanks Lobstah,

interesting indeed...
I've seen a few threads about the 3rd gear, but not sure if it relates. I might use this information when going back.

It's interesting that you've said it's hard to shift into certain gears. I was starting to think maybe it was just an old used transmission and wasn't a young spring chicken.

I often, after sitting at a set of lights, (Been in neutral and my foot is off the clutch) it can be tricky putting it into 1st gear. (Depress the clutch, shift, etc. It just won't go into first)

when driving, it can "play up" and be difficult shifting from 1st to 2nd. It's the most common from 3rd to 4th. I also have on the highway felt like 6th was a bit picky. (this seems to be mostly in the selection of a gear when the stick travels "down" versus when you go from 4th to 3rd being "up")

Going into reverse is something I'm not sure about. maybe it's a user error? (I've driven that many manuals, but the CX5 is just a different experience)
When trying to shift into reverse. It can feel a bit restricted. But if the car is rolling, it just is impossible to shift, if it does shift (Even with the clutch fully depressed) you'll get awful gear grinding. (So I just make sure I'm stopped completely)

This is different from the Mazda 3 I had which was an earlier year than the CX5(2014), and my BT50(2022) allows me to change into reverse while rolling. My 2013 Land Rover Defender is also the same. The couple of Volkswagens I've owned also allowed me to shift into reverse without issues. (I note that the clutch is depressed in all examples, It would allow me to select the gear but the clutch isn't engaged.)

I think the unfortunate part is we are at a point where we either pay for a third-party inspection, then know the battle to try and force a stat dec repair based on another inspection. This would be a battle for sure.

The last time we saw the dealer/mechanic, they said if it happens again that we would need to take them for a drive because they believe we can't drive manuals. The issue is recently it doesn't happen as often as it did in the beginning, so i don't want to do a long drive with a random with the possibility that nothing happens.

Would you have any suggestions or experience on how to move forward on this part of the issue?

Old 03-24-2023, 06:16 AM

I would take it to a different shop, preferably one that specializes in transmissions and clutches and get their opinion.
Yes, it will cost you, but you can't fix the issue until you know the problem(s).