Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2014 vs 2015 CX-5 - Very Confused!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Default 2014 vs 2015 CX-5 - Very Confused!

Hello,

Sorry if this info is available somewhere else in the forums, but there wasn't anything in the sticky thread at the top. So, I apologize if this post is duplication of a previous thread.

I have been looking at getting a CX-5, however I am very confused about exactly which model years are available right now, and what options/features they include. I've heard that the "next-gen" models will/may have the MazdaConnect infotainment software that is currently in the Mazda 3, and most sites refer to this one as the 2015 model year, although some refer to it as the 2016 model year. To confuse things even further, Mazda has been releasing updates mid-cycle, which means that the newest models may have updates that the older ones don't.

Here are my questions:

What is the *correct* model year that is the most recent that is currently available?
Does the newest model year available have the MazdaConnect infotainment software?
If there is currently a model available with the MazdaConnect infotainment software, can someone please provide me a link to some information about this model?
If there is currently a model available that has the MazdaConnect infotainment software, are there other new updates/options available? If so, what are they?
If there is currently no model available that has the MazdaConnect infotainment software, does anyone know a release date or if Mazda has announced any details about the next year's model? If so, please provide a link.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. It has been very frustrating trying to identify what the model years are that are available, since several people have referred to owning a 2015 model year vehicle, when in fact it seems no different to me than the 2014 model year.

G

Old 06-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Banned

Generally, as model years get newer, there are hidden improvements as they try to correct defects, warranty returns.
To buy a vehicle depending on which one has some idiotic MazdaConnect infotainment software to me is a stretch, but to each his own. Go to a Mazda dealer and ask. The more electronics, the more problems. Aftermarket is also a possibilty of the things you need to do.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 06-22-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:26 PM

Thank you for your response. I think you may have misunderstood my earlier post. While I certainly prefer the MazdaConnect infotainment system to the older version, it isn't really the selling point for me. However, it is the only thing that I have been able to identify as "new" or an "update" that is (or at least, according to the articles I've read, may be) an update to the CX-5 in the next/latest model year. So, without much more information to go on, all I can surmise is that any model that has this would be the next model year.

Therefore, I am attempting to identify whether or not there are any cars out there that have this, since I've found people's statements that they have a "2015" model to be fairly unreliable, since I can't seem to find any difference between the 2014 models and the ones that people claim are "2015" models. It has been very confusing for me, to say the least.

As for the dealership, I've already tried that avenue. The dealer where I took my test drive claimed the vehicle was a 2015 model, but again, I can't seem to find any difference between the 2014 models and what he claimed was a 2015 model. I called another dealership and asked more specific questions, but all she said was that she would get back with me and never called back. This, of course, is further complicated by the fact that the dealership has no incentive to provide me this information, since it is in their best interests to sell me an older version if they can get away with it, and also the fact that Mazda hasn't (at least, to my knowledge) announced the features/updates that will be in the next model year (again, it's in their best interests to be tight-lipped about it, since any new features would theoretically make someone more likely to wait until the new models come out).

My guess is that the people who claim to be driving a 2015 model are actually driving a 2014 model, and that the *real* 2015 models haven't been announced or released yet. But, I was hoping that some knowledgeable folks such as yourself might be able to enlighten me further on the subject, since up to now I haven't been able to find anything that clearly outlines the features and options of the 2014 vs. 2015 (or, if those are the wrong years, the 2015 vs. 2016) model years.

G

Old 06-22-2014, 09:29 PM

Also, as for aftermarket, I agree that this would be something to consider for the infotainment system if I end up buying now. However, my decision to wait will likely have more to do with the relative girth of my wallet than the differences between the features in the model years. I am really more interested in just knowing what I would end up with if I wait, vs. what I will get if I buy now.

G

Old 06-22-2014, 09:53 PM

dont go by model year, go by production date. dunno how mazda denotes their model years, but with bmw, anything in the 9th month of production is the next year model. for example, 9/13 to 8/14 production date are all 2013 model year. 9/14 and later pro date is 2014 model year. however, 'model year' is borderline political, but production date is iron clad. car manufacturers tell dot vin number ranges of model years. it is tricky. for example, when the chrysler neon came out, cars produced in january of 1994 were designated 1995 model year by chrysler. but production date was still 1/94. the parts dept is probably a better place to ask about the difference in the systems. if there are upgrades, then service dept would know. nowdays, cars in for service and parts all go by vin, which tells the exact production date. sales dept is not known for accuracy, they want to sell cars, so sometimes they will "fudge" the info.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:13 PM

Thank you for your response Kennin. I agree that the VIN is the best place to get info about the model year for a car, and I have been thinking about going back to my local dealership just to talk to them a bit further and maybe get a VIN or something so that I can at least have a firm idea of what model year they are trying to sell me.

Unfortunately however, this still does not resolve my predicament of wanting to know what the next model year will have vs. what the current model year has. Yes, I will know what the current model year has, but knowing what's right around the corner would be tremendously useful in helping me make my decision on when to buy.

G

Old 06-23-2014, 06:29 AM

Unfortunately however, this still does not resolve my predicament of wanting to know what the next model year will have vs. what the current model year has. Yes, I will know what the current model year has, but knowing what's right around the corner would be tremendously useful in helping me make my decision on when to buy.

yah, well, sales certainly aint gonna tell you. they want to move what they have in stock. again, parts and service will have classes and infomercials on what new changes/parts on coming models. parts will get a 'suggested' list of new parts to stock, when the new models come in, they have to be ready. service has to know what to expect, the techs all have to be prepared for new technology. independent car sites like edmonds will have some info, as will mazda, but mazda probably will hold off till the new models are actually here. they want to sell all old stock, too

Old 06-23-2014, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Im guessing your in the US or Canada? I know that Mazda's built in Japan & Thailand for the NZ & OZ market have a Build date on the Chassis sticker, either on the "B" pillar or under the bonnet.

In NZ, the year in which the car is 1st registered, becomes the Model year, but in OZ the year the car is built will be the model year when 1st registered.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:18 AM

I guess I must just be naive or too trusting. I assumed that if the window sticker said it was a 2015, that it WAS a 2015.

Edit: According to the vin explanation in a later post, I have a 2015. Not sure what is different though since I didn't have a previous model. I believe the hood is heavier to solve a vibration issue and I think the advanced keyless entry is now standard on the touring and GT.

Last edited by Geerhead; 06-24-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Geerhead
I guess I must just be naive or too trusting. I assumed that if the window sticker said it was a 2015, that it WAS a 2015.
Getting taken advantage of doesn't make you naïve. The dealers are the ones to blame when they start spouting a bunch of bs about the car being a 2015 model when what they REALLY mean is it's what they consider to be a 2014/2015 model, which in fact means it's what you and I would consider a 2014 model. It's all semantics, just a word game they are playing.

Also, just because you thought it was a 2015 model doesn't mean that you didn't get the best car you could get. It could turn out that there's no difference between the 2014 models and the 2015 models, or there could even be a chance that the newer 2015 models are worse due to some type of defect or something. The only reason I want to know about the next model year is so that I can make an educated decision about whether to buy now or whether to wait until the newer model year. You may have been denied this opportunity by the dealer you went to, but it doesn't change the fact that you still bought the best, newest model available at the time you made your purchase, and as I previously stated, it also doesn't mean that the newer models are any better than the one you got.

My plan is to wait until they announce the details of the next model year (whatever year people end up calling it) and then either make an aggressive offer on the current model or, more likely, buy the newer model. As I've said in a previous post though, this has more to do with my purchasing power (since I can save money between now and the point where I make my purchase) than it does the relative differences between this year's model and next year's model.

G

Quick Reply: 2014 vs 2015 CX-5 - Very Confused!