Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2015 CX-5 Fueling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Default 2015 CX-5 Fueling Issue

Hello All,

I attempted to do a search here but could not find anything close to the situation I'm having. This is my first time fueling my new CX-5. After leaving the gas station, I get a "Refill Fuel Tank" message. I pull over to check to make sure the cap was closed correctly 4 times. But the message remained. Then after a few miles, it disappeared but the gauge read near empty and the distance to empty was zero. Then while driving the gauge slowly increased but still distance to empty was zero. Called dealership we bought it from and they said to bring it in.

We take it in and the serve adviser tells us the Master Tech sees nothing wrong and we should call the tech support line to see if they can help us or they can get with tech support if we wanted them to. But in the middle of talking he says that we have to put in 10.2 gallons of gas in and if we did. We told him we thought we put in 11 gallons. He excused himself and goes see his tech. Then comes back and says we must have put in less then 10.2 and that was the issue and the tech was about to reset the gauge. I asked him we always have to fill 10.2 or just a few times since this was a new vehicle. He sates we would always forever have to do this. This sounds crazy to me for many reasons. I'm not the primary driver and I don't want the primary driver to be driving near empty only to avoid this error message. But if we decide to go fuel it less then 10.2, our gauge will read wrong and we would never know how much gas we really have which isn't good either. So we would have to get it reset by the dealer every time we decide to do it this way. Unless there is a way to easily reset it. I forgot to ask the service person that.

Is what the service guy told us correct...every fill up has to be a minimum of 10.2 gallons?

Thanks in advance for any help. A bit frustrated about this be it the statement is true or false just makes no sense to me.

Rick

Old 04-27-2014, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Weird, I've never had any issues with CX5 fuel gauges or warnings.
Where in the world are you?

Old 04-27-2014, 09:03 AM
Banned

The 10.2 gallons is weird, different, can't figure on that value, but you should never drive around with 1/8 fuel or less in your tank anytime.
Driving with less than 1/4 tank of fuel puts extra strain on the fuel pump as it has to work harder to get the low fuel out. Also there is not enough fuel in the tank to cool down the fuel pump. Yes the fuel actually acts like a coolant keeping your fuel pump cool.
Driving continually with low fuel will mean a shorter life for your fuel pump. Driving with less than 1/2 tank in winter is asking for moisture issues, water in fuel! Start putting more fuel in and fill it up sooner!

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 04-27-2014 at 08:07 PM. Reason: weird, can't figure out 10.2
Old 04-28-2014, 06:01 AM

Thanks UseYourNoggin and Grim_ripper for yalls responses. I bought my CX-5 from Gullo Mazda of Conroe, Texas which is north of Houston. I will refuel for the second time after the tank is at half full. If the issue happens again I'll see about taking it to another dealer to have it looked at. The other dealer should still cover the warranty or no?

I also emailed the contact I got from the main website for Mazda to see their response to the requirement the service guy gave me. I'll report back with any findings I get.

Last edited by rickcoog; 04-28-2014 at 06:02 AM. Reason: fix typos
Old 04-29-2014, 06:37 PM

Wanted to provide and update. Heard back from Mazda Corporate. They replied that they contacted the service department from the dealership to ask about this issue. Their reply in part is below:

When speaking with Gullo Mazda of Conroe, the service team advised that your recent visit was in regards to the fuel gage and “Distance to Empty” feature. The dealership advised to put at least 10 liters (2.6 US gallons) of fuel in the vehicle to ensure this feature is working. Additionally, the fuel tank for your 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring front-wheel drive vehicle can hold 14.8 US gallons of fuel. Depending on how much is in your tank when you fill up, you should be able to go over 10.2 gallons, but you should not go beyond the 14.8 gallons. This information can be found in your owner's manual on pages 4-19 and 9-5.

If you are receiving a warning sign when filling up, I suggest reviewing this specific concern directly with your Mazda dealership. Mazda relies on our factory-trained technicians at authorized Mazda dealerships to diagnose and repair concerns that may arise with a Mazda vehicle. If needed, each Mazda dealership has access to Mazda’s technical services department. This service is available to all dealerships, should they need assistance with diagnosing or repairing a Mazda vehicle.
It could very well be we either heard 10.2 gallons, he stated 10.2 gallons, he never mentioned the units and we just assumed gallons. I'm fine with the 10 liter requirement they are stating. But it doesn't address why we got the message and issue with filling in 11 gallons.

I will refill and see if the issue happens again. We are pleased that they replied quickly and went so far as to contact our dealership for more details

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited by rickcoog; 04-29-2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: added more
Old 04-30-2014, 09:12 AM

here is what i would do. print this out:

https://txdmv.gov/motorists/consumer...tion/lemon-law

"inadvertently" leave a copy on the front seat when you take the car in to the dealer. write on it, "second time" and date it, with a copy of the first service for this. that should light a fire under them