Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2015 CX-5 Speakers issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 12:48 PM
Default 2015 CX-5 Speakers issue

Just got my CX-5 a few weeks ago and I am noticing a problem with the two front door speakers. They vibrate quite a bit, depending how much bass I am pushing through them. I have a friend who is willing to install new ones. My question is, do I have to stick with Bose or can I use something else that would better? I have read that anything other than Bose could screw up the system. Just looking for clarification.
Thanks

Old 06-17-2024, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by MikeM1958
Just got my CX-5 a few weeks ago and I am noticing a problem with the two front door speakers. They vibrate quite a bit, depending how much bass I am pushing through them. I have a friend who is willing to install new ones. My question is, do I have to stick with Bose or can I use something else that would better? I have read that anything other than Bose could screw up the system. Just looking for clarification.
Thanks
Bose systems use very low impedance speakers; I believe the standard Bose speaker is one ohm. Using other speakers with higher impedance (normally 4 or 8 ohms) will require the amplifier to use more power to produce the same volume levels. This can lead to the amplifier overworking and result in amplifier damage. This is one of the reasons that most people who want to change out speakers on Bose systems will perform Bose-ectomies; in other words, replacing the Bose amp with a different amplifier to drive those speakers. This is a common practice for the audiophiles in the MX5 community. Callisto may be more able to give you guidance about doing such on the CX5.

Old 06-17-2024, 04:56 PM

Personally speaking I'd play it safe and replace them with the same OEM speakers. There are other users in the forum who have changed them with other brands and could help you out if you go that route.

Old 06-18-2024, 07:49 AM
Default Confused

A friend of mine, who would be doing the work and has done car audio stuff for a while, couldn't believe they were 1 ohm. He said that he'd only seen cars using that low was in competitions.
I'm just an old boomer who used to just wire speakers into the cassette or 8-track and they'd work so I'm confused about this. I went to one site last night that sells audio equipment, looked up door speakers for this vehicle and they came back with 4 and 3 ohm. Basically they said that 4 ohm was the "safe" pick. I definitely don't want to muck up my system but I know I need to do something because these speakers vibrating or "rattling" makes me crazy!

Old 06-18-2024, 10:20 AM

A friend of mine, who would be doing the work and has done car audio stuff for a while, couldn't believe they were 1 ohm. He said that he'd only seen cars using that low was in competitions.
I'm just an old boomer who used to just wire speakers into the cassette or 8-track and they'd work so I'm confused about this. I went to one site last night that sells audio equipment, looked up door speakers for this vehicle and they came back with 4 and 3 ohm. Basically they said that 4 ohm was the "safe" pick. I definitely don't want to muck up my system but I know I need to do something because these speakers vibrating or "rattling" makes me crazy!
You can not use different ohm for a BOSE system. You will overdrive the amp it will heat up and burn out.

Likewise you match your speaker choice with the amp you are using for the same reasons.

The application guides only give suggestion of speaker fitment NOT working in the system power supply to the speakers.

It has been this way ....well FOREVER!

If you friend was not aware of this he/she does not really know about automotive stereo systems?

Old 06-18-2024, 10:24 AM

So, the door speakers in my vehicle are 1 ohm and I can only use 1 ohm speakers. Is that the gist of it?

Old 06-18-2024, 10:33 AM

So, the door speakers in my vehicle are 1 ohm and I can only use 1 ohm speakers. Is that the gist of it?
Correct. If they are labeled or tested to be 1 ohm.

Old 06-18-2024, 10:36 AM

Thanks for replying. Sorry to sound stupid about this.
How would I know for sure without having my door taken apart?

Old 06-18-2024, 10:42 AM

Thanks for replying. Sorry to sound stupid about this.
How would I know for sure without having my door taken apart?
Not sure i would trust any way other then that. But you could get the serial number on the amp and contact BOSE direct and they will tell you. But then by that time and effort you could remove the door panel and get the info from the speaker which may be easier.

if you don't you are more likely to dame your amp which is the main part of the BOSE system, and costly.

Old 06-18-2024, 10:50 AM

Okay, thanks. I'll go from here and see what happens. I did learn some stuff so thanks.

Quick Reply: 2015 CX-5 Speakers issue