Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2015 CX-5 Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2024, 11:59 AM
Default 2015 CX-5 Transmission issue

Hello All,
I have a very nice 2015 CX-5 with 192,000 miles. I started noticing that the transmission seemed louder going through 45 - 55 on the highway. Now at low speeds, it slips out of drive and the engine revs. It has a sky-active system so there is no dipstick and no way to check or add transmission fluid. I was told that the system requires no maintenance. Anyone else experience this and how do I fix it?
Thank you

Old 06-07-2024, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ian.T
Hello All,
I have a very nice 2015 CX-5 with 192,000 miles. I started noticing that the transmission seemed louder going through 45 - 55 on the highway. Now at low speeds, it slips out of drive and the engine revs. It has a sky-active system so there is no dipstick and no way to check or add transmission fluid. I was told that the system requires no maintenance. Anyone else experience this and how do I fix it?
Thank you
ALL automatic transmission need serving. That warranty on many platforms claim lifetime which is defined as to the end of the warranty period, unfortunately issues start well before the warranty period is up and unto the following miles.

Your transmission needs a oil pan drop filter and pan oil replacement ASAP. I would recommend that you not use a dealer and try to find a Transmission specialty shop or at least service shop with an ASE sign meaning they are qualified to post the sign because they have at least one ASE mechanic or Auto technician employed.

ASE

Old 06-07-2024, 02:07 PM

Welcome to the forum

Old 06-07-2024, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
ALL automatic transmission need serving. That warranty on many platforms claim lifetime which is defined as to the end of the warranty period, unfortunately issues start well before the warranty period is up and unto the following miles.

Your transmission needs a oil pan drop filter and pan oil replacement ASAP. I would recommend that you not use a dealer and try to find a Transmission specialty shop or at least service shop with an ASE sign meaning they are qualified to post the sign because they have at least one ASE mechanic or Auto technician employed.

ASE
Check that the transmission shop carries the specific fluid. IIRC, there are three spec/style fluid for Asian autos. The early CX-5s used a Nissan transmission so the year may be important.

My 2¢

Old 06-08-2024, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Check that the transmission shop carries the specific fluid. IIRC, there are three spec/style fluid for Asian autos. The early CX-5s used a Nissan transmission so the year may be important.

My 2¢
A transmission specific service shops very well knows what to use.
I would think because that is their specialty they likely even know more then me about such things ..

Well not more but equally…

Besides I would be more apt to first drop the pan see what’s going on varnish on the lower case parts and what’s in the pan. Might even do a full replacement of old school Ford ATF run it up to temperature for 30-45 minutes and then another replacement of the spec ATF for the transmission and a can of sea foam.. Most cases like this with a none service ever at over 150k + miles it is simply a build up of dirty fluid and varnish causing servos to stick.

Old 06-08-2024, 10:57 PM

There's a small dipstick, but you have to remove the air box to get to it. Yes, it's stupid to have one that you can't get to it. I have the same exact model (2015 Touring) w/2.5 motor. I flushed & refill the fluid around 90K with the exact oem fluid from Mazda. I did not drop pan and replace the filter and gasket since I didn't not have any symptoms with my tranny, just more of the preventive maintenance. I'm at 112K now, and I'm planning on doing the same procedure next month.

Best of luck!

Old 06-09-2024, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jat007
There's a small dipstick, but you have to remove the air box to get to it. Yes, it's stupid to have one that you can't get to it. I have the same exact model (2015 Touring) w/2.5 motor. I flushed & refill the fluid around 90K with the exact oem fluid from Mazda. I did not drop pan and replace the filter and gasket since I didn't not have any symptoms with my tranny, just more of the preventive maintenance. I'm at 112K now, and I'm planning on doing the same procedure next month.

Best of luck!
The DIY method above is not an advised copied service.

The pan needs to be cleaned as there will be accumulated varnish and settled debris and very dirty oil. I won't get into how dirty your pan magnet is. Also, your term "FLUSHING" unless you used about 2-3 gallons of ATF then your thoughts of doing a flush are not exactly accurate nor did they do what you think!
A transmission like an engine will have a break in period. During the time the reciprocating assembly and other components like servos even machine to precision will have a mating and break-in cycle. During this break in like an engine metals and other material will to use a simple term shed and go into the oil system hopefully to be caught in the filter or settle in the pan. There is very little to no windage in oil pans of transmissions and engine oil pans making it an area that accumulates material that needs to be removed at regular service intervolves so as to not cause any issues.
Just because you or anyone else with this line of thinking are not experiencing the late symptoms does not mean that you are not having them. I guarantee that you are and just not experience to recognize them.
The main reason the dip stick is not easy access is purely because the OE has stated the transmission is either a nonservice able or lifetime no service transmission. So why would there be any value and reason to have the dipstick accessible.
Preventive and frequent oil and filter service is fundamental in reducing the costly chance of transmission problems.

ASE

Old 06-10-2024, 07:46 AM
Default Thank you all!!

I appreciate all of your informed responses. I'll call a transmission shop today and schedule an appointment. Luckily, I don't have to drive it much, so it won't go anywhere until I take it in. I'll update my post after I get it serviced and let you know what it looked like.

Ian

Old 06-10-2024, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ian.T
I appreciate all of your informed responses. I'll call a transmission shop today and schedule an appointment. Luckily, I don't have to drive it much, so it won't go anywhere until I take it in. I'll update my post after I get it serviced and let you know what it looked like.

Ian
If you plan of keeping the Mazda a few more years, I recommend that when the service is being done request a small sample of the fluid be collected. Then you can send it in to be analyzed. Even a specific performance transmission shops uses a couple different companies in the US to do this for their customers. The analysis is the "ONLY" way to tell exactly what is going on in your transmission. (with the exception of a complete tear down and rebuild).

Transmission | Blackstone Laboratories (blackstone-labs.com)

ASE
Below (if interested) is my thread. I never index and cataloged different service procedures over the years but there are a few transmission services with oil analyzed. The early one was done @ less then 30k miles and even that early you can see what was in the oil at the time of service.
Mazda3 Things I like to do - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Old 07-05-2024, 10:16 AM

Good morning all and Happy July 5th.

I was finally able to get an appointment and bring my CX-5 in for service. The garage I brought it to is a full-service garage that specializes in transmission repairs and works on all vehicles. The mechanic said the issue was a rusted joint on the shifter. He disconnected the transmission and tested that, and it shifted fine. He cleaned and greased the shifter arm and checked the cable and the vehicle works really well now. He didn't think the transmission fluid needed to be changed. I'm not sure how much longer I'm keeping the vehicle and don't want to open a can of worms by changing the fluid when it shifts really well and sounds a lot better.

Thanks again for all you information and responses.

Ian

Quick Reply: 2015 CX-5 Transmission issue