Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2015 CX-5 transmission service needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 01:48 PM
Default 2015 CX-5 transmission service needed?

2015 Cx-5, 157k miles. Running fine. Does the transmission need service at all at this mileage? I've heard it's a lifetime, no need to thing..
If it's needed, can a good mechanic do it or should I go to a Mazda service/dealership? (The Mazda dealership I usually used, I think, has changed hands and seems to be more greedy on wanting that dollar!)

Old 03-23-2023, 02:25 PM

Start with a basic pan filter and oil change. From there when they drop the pan you will get a good indication of the state of health of the transmission by what is found and what the valve body and pan looks like.

The service is very simple and most service shops should be able to do this. However it would be better to try to find a service shop that advertises Transmission servicing as they are better experienced to know what they are finding when the pan is dropped.

You are defiantly over due for the basic service!

LIFETIME means when the warranty is over....

Old 03-23-2023, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Start with a basic pan filter and oil change. From there when they drop the pan you will get a good indication of the state of health of the transmission by what is found and what the valve body and pan looks like.

The service is very simple and most service shops should be able to do this. However it would be better to try to find a service shop that advertises Transmission servicing as they are better experienced to know what they are finding when the pan is dropped.

You are defiantly over due for the basic service!

LIFETIME means when the warranty is over....
Thanks! I got different info from 3 different mazda places...$395 to change fluid at one, $199 at another but further away, and another said don't do it bc it's a sealed sky active unit.
Can a trust a good local mechanic?

Old 03-23-2023, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by hillcountryhorn63697005
Thanks! I got different info from 3 different mazda places...$395 to change fluid at one, $199 at another but further away, and another said don't do it bc it's a sealed sky active unit.
Can a trust a good local mechanic?
I am going to assume based on those answer that they are simply reading that the auto manufacture states lifetime fluid or no service for lifetime? sad!

Oil analysis I have had done with many automatic transmissions with so called lifetime no service have all shown that had the oil not been changed there may have been problems caused by none serving. My own 2018 Mazda I have done the service several times and started a oil analysis that shows from the first things in the fluid that would have caused a varnish to start to form and build up over time. I have posted empirical data in the form of oil analysis as well have shown pictures a few times of the service on my MADA in my thread.
On customer vehicles it is the same results, when they waited it first of all took a few servicing to get the fluid to run clear again or I had to do a complete fluid replacement.

On your MAZDA the service should only be about 1.5 hours labor plus the oil and filter and gasket(if they choose to use one)

ASE

Old 03-23-2023, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I am going to assume based on those answer that they are simply reading that the auto manufacture states lifetime fluid or no service for lifetime? sad!

Oil analysis I have had done with many automatic transmissions with so called lifetime no service have all shown that had the oil not been changed there may have been problems caused by none serving. My own 2018 Mazda I have done the service several times and started a oil analysis that shows from the first things in the fluid that would have caused a varnish to start to form and build up over time. I have posted empirical data in the form of oil analysis as well have shown pictures a few times of the service on my MADA in my thread.
On customer vehicles it is the same results, when they waited it first of all took a few servicing to get the fluid to run clear again or I had to do a complete fluid replacement.

On your MAZDA the service should only be about 1.5 hours labor plus the oil and filter and gasket(if they choose to use one)

ASE
Wish you were in Texas DFW area, so I could get you to work on it. I'm calling around for best prices. And getting other needed maintenance caught up. I'm not good enough to do the work. Thanks again.