Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2015 CX-5 usb charging

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 07:18 PM
Default 2015 CX-5 usb charging

I have family in the hurricane Sally zone without power and their cell phones are going dead. These folks are not tech savvy so I talked them through how to disconnect the cable from their wall charger and plug it into the Mazda's USB port. They did this, including with the engine running and claim that the phone is not charging. Doesn't make sense to me. They are using a USB port on the dash. Are there others like maybe in the console or glove box?

Old 09-17-2020, 08:05 AM

My CX-5 Grand Touring has two charging ports in the center fold-down armrest between the rear seats. That being said, My CX-5 does not have any USB ports on the dash. The ones in the front are inside the center console between the front seats and must have the switch in at least the "accessory" position to have power to them. Are you sure they didn't try to plug the USB cord into the 12v power port that is located on the dash under the heater controls (in the cubby hole)?

Old 09-17-2020, 08:49 AM

That's exactly what I am afraid of. I am not there and not familiar with the car. People in question have probably never connected a USB plug to anything. I'll try to call them again... if their phones aren't dead.

Originally Posted by 9O.,NQi&
My CX-5 Grand Touring has two charging ports in the center fold-down armrest between the rear seats. That being said, My CX-5 does not have any USB ports on the dash. The ones in the front are inside the center console between the front seats and must have the switch in at least the "accessory" position to have power to them. Are you sure they didn't try to plug the USB cord into the 12v power port that is located on the dash under the heater controls (in the cubby hole)?

Old 09-17-2020, 08:59 AM

Im very sorry to hear of the situation. I cannot imagine the personal tragedy that goes along with these disasters. fortunately, even if they did put the USB cord into the 12v power port, it probably did not hurt the phone since the sorst that would happen is the shell of the USB plug would just short out the power port and blow the fuse. Becasue the positive connection on the usb plug is inside the shell, it very likely would never be subjected to the 12v. Good luck with your challenge. If their phones are working, you might send them a picture of the end of the USB cord and what a typical USB charging port looks like in a car. that might help if they know how to view photos on the phone.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:29 AM
BWJ

By one of these for the power port.
Amazon Amazon

Old 09-17-2020, 10:41 AM

I have plenty of these around already. They just don't have them, but will next time, in addition to some back up batteries.

Good news, they got my text about the ports being in the console (thanks, guys) and figured it out and are driving and charging. I am fairly certain they don't know how to put the car in accessory mode with the push to start. That would be another challenge to work through with them. Otherwise these folks are OK. A few minor roof leaks and maybe some spoiled food if the power company doesn't get there soon. But nothing like Ivan that took their houses in 2004. But even as we write here there is another system developing in the Bay of Campeche. Down along the Gulf they need to be on their toes at least 6 more weeks.

Originally Posted by BWJ
By one of these for the power port. https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==