Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2016 blowing different temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2024, 08:00 PM
Default 2016 blowing different temperatures

Hello I have a 2016 cx5 grand touring and I just recently got the AC working again by adding Freon. But now I have the passenger side blowing cold air and the driver side blowing warm, both sides are set to 60 and it’s the same result when it’s set to dual mode. I checked both blend door actuators and they both seem to be functioning fine they both move accordingly when temp is adjusted. Replaced cabin air filter as well. At this point I’m lost, any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2024, 08:33 PM

That's the classic telltale of a low refrigerant level. On the CX-5, the driver's side will start to blow warm when more refrigerant is needed. You'll likely need to add additional r-134A until the vent temperatures are nearly equal (within a couple of degrees F.)
Which side goes warm when the refrigerant level gets low depends on how the evaporator is situated in respect to the air plenum chamber as determined by the engineers that designed it.. On some makes/models the passenger side goes warm but on the CX-5 it's the driver's side.
Don't expect it to last very long though as you most likely have a leak for it to be that low in the first place.

Old 07-08-2024, 12:01 AM

Do not just add R134 without the correct gauges. Doing so can and often from DIY will damage your AC system.

The previous response is not anyway proper or even safe service advice or method.

ASE

Old 07-08-2024, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Do not just add R134 without the correct gauges. Doing so can and often from DIY will damage your AC system.

The previous response is not anyway proper or even safe service advice or method.

ASE
Correct. You should always have your hi & lo pressure gages connected before adding refrigerant. If you don't have a good understanding of how an a/c system works you are definitely risking damage by adding too much refrigerant. However, I stand by my statement that this symptom is almost always caused by a low refrigerant level.

Old 07-08-2024, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by cadcamjim
Correct. You should always have your hi & lo pressure gages connected before adding refrigerant. If you don't have a good understanding of how an a/c system works you are definitely risking damage by adding too much refrigerant. However, I stand by my statement that this symptom is almost always caused by a low refrigerant level.
Not exactly accurate and somewhat misleading, ^^^^^
By description so far it points to a leak in the HVAC system.

This time of year, I personally am working on or assigning my Techs to service customers AC system every day. There are 5 with appointments just for today and tomorrow. One has a similar issue as this OPs when they attempted to do their own adding freon. The average cost to DIY when they mess with their HVAC system is generally more then had they just brought it to a competent shop with good reviews on line and with the BBB. Or to a dealer.

But I want my coffee and to catch up on a few forums I participate to help members with some question and problems...
And also, to make aware when there are some questionable advice from members..

ASE