Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2016 CX-5 Grand touring edition

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 01:16 PM
Default 2016 CX-5 Grand touring edition

I bought a used 2016 CX-5 grand touring edition. My question is about the inside rear view mirror it has 6 buttons on the bottom of the mirror. It has star link or some unneeded garbage on it. My question is, am i able to show my direction of travel on this mirror. just the direction I am traveling, N S E W? I just had an oil change at the dealer today and asked him. He stated he was unfamiliar with the mirror buttons and function. My GPS doesn't show my direction of travel. I live very rural and this would be very helpful on strange to me roads. So many other vehicle's, have N ,S, E, or W in the rear view mirror. This a "grand Touring Edition" nothing about direction of travel in the mirror, is in the owners manual.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:38 PM

The compass heading is shown with a little double-ended arrow icon on the Navigation System's screen. Needs the NAV in the car. If you've got NAV, check your model's NAV manual for brief references to the compass icon.

For the 2016 year's catalogs, see

2016 Mazda CX-5 Catalog @ auto-brochures.com.
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Catalog @ auto-brochures.com.

For 2016, the Navigation System was available if the car had the optional Grand Touring Tech package.

For 2016.5, the Navigation System was part of the basic Touring and Grand Touring vehicles, without requiring an add-on package.

Nice choice, by the way. I've got a 2016.5 CX-5 GT myself.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by pat701
... the inside rear view mirror it has 6 buttons on the bottom of the mirror. It has star link or some unneeded garbage on it ... at the dealer today and asked him. He stated he was unfamiliar with the mirror buttons and function.
The multi-button rearview mirror has HomeLink on the buttons to the left, an indicator light, and then the On/Off buttons on the far right. This is for the auto-dimming feature.

Doesn't have the NSEW/compass stuff in the mirror itself.

Old 03-17-2021, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by pat701
I bought a used 2016 CX-5 grand touring edition. My question is about the inside rear view mirror it has 6 buttons on the bottom of the mirror. It has star link or some unneeded garbage on it. My question is, am i able to show my direction of travel on this mirror. just the direction I am traveling, N S E W? I just had an oil change at the dealer today and asked him. He stated he was unfamiliar with the mirror buttons and function. My GPS doesn't show my direction of travel. I live very rural and this would be very helpful on strange to me roads. So many other vehicle's, have N ,S, E, or W in the rear view mirror. This a "grand Touring Edition" nothing about direction of travel in the mirror, is in the owners manual.
We had a 2014 GT and it has a mirror similar to what you are describing. It had the Homelink functionality, which includes three buttons for garage door, gates, lights or what ever you assign to it, as well as a auto dim function. That much I know for sure. See Page 3-30 of your owners manual. I do not remember whether it had a compass built in. The manual indicates that the directional function was not part of the mirror. Page 4-70 goes over how to program the Homelink buttons.

Our older cars (e.g., Toyota) with the same Gextex sourced Homelink mirrors did have that option, and it showed 8 directions, four cardinal (N,E, S, W) and four ordinal (NE, SE SW, NW) Gentex owns and manufactures these units for most car makers. If your mirror does not have a little window in the upper right like my Toyota did, you do not have the directional function. These mirror models turn over every few years to the newer model, so you may not see the exact model you have on the Gentex page unless you go back to older products.

For what it is worth, Starlink is a Subaru branded product, which to me, is similar to the GM OnStar system

Last edited by Chas2; 03-17-2021 at 02:26 PM.