Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
View Poll Results: Which car
2014 RAV4 2.0 D4D AWD Invincible
0%
Mazda CX-5 2.2 sport AWD
100.00%
Volvo XC60 diesel R Design
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

2016 Mk1 Cx5 2.2 diesel awd research

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 05:15 PM
Default 2016 Mk1 Cx5 2.2 diesel awd research

I’m researching my next car & the cx5 is an option. For economy reasons I’m considering the diesel cx5 awd and am interested to hear some owner opinions of reliability, any major engine/ mechanical issues to look out for. I’ve read about some problems with oil levels, does this apply to all models or only the older marque 1’s? The alternatives being considered are a RAV4 2.0 d4d but this has less power and torque or a Volvo XC60 which is economical etc but has its own problems. If by chance there is someone who has had to one or two of these cars, I’d be interested to hear your thoughts as well. Thanks in advance

Old 05-30-2021, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

The diesel has a history or reliability issues. To be honest, buy the 2.5 petrol.

Old 06-03-2021, 06:52 AM

In my opinion the Mazda is the best of the bunch, in terms of driving experience.
I haven't owned a Rav4, but did test one recently and wasn't impressed, felt sluggish, steering was too light and it wallowed in the corners.
I loved the Volvo for space and opulence, and the D4 engine in 2wd can deliver around 60 mpg, The R-design is the best trim level as it has sharper steering and stiffer suspension, so feels more sporty, but in no feels as engaging to drive than the Mazda. Also the Volvo will be at least 20% more expensive to buy than the Mazda, and probably won't have all the toys you may want.
I am currently in the process of swapping my Volvo XC90 T6 Executive (owned for 5 years) for a Mazda CX-5, just so I can enjoy driving again.

Andy

Old 06-03-2021, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
The diesel has a history or reliability issues. To be honest, buy the 2.5 petrol.
Thanks, unfortunately the 2.5 petrol is too thirsty for my liking/usage. Diesel is the most economical for me until it arrives in Hybrid format within budget

Old 06-03-2021, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Trumpetdropper
In my opinion the Mazda is the best of the bunch, in terms of driving experience.
I haven't owned a Rav4, but did test one recently and wasn't impressed, felt sluggish, steering was too light and it wallowed in the corners.
I loved the Volvo for space and opulence, and the D4 engine in 2wd can deliver around 60 mpg, The R-design is the best trim level as it has sharper steering and stiffer suspension, so feels more sporty, but in no feels as engaging to drive than the Mazda. Also the Volvo will be at least 20% more expensive to buy than the Mazda, and probably won't have all the toys you may want.
I am currently in the process of swapping my Volvo XC90 T6 Executive (owned for 5 years) for a Mazda CX-5, just so I can enjoy driving again.

Andy
I think I will be changing to the Rav4 after all. I agree with most of your comments above but looking at the resale value in 3-4 years time, the Rav4 seems to fair better. All being well I'll change on to a Hybrid version in a few years when the prices are within budget.

On the plus side of the RAV4 is the new warranty scheme that Toyota have just released, you get 12 months warranty when you service with the dealership up to 10 years of age/100,000 miles, which ever is soonest - bonus for me as the dealer I'm in talks with only provides a short warranty anyway. No point paying to extend it when Toyota are now providing this option.

I do prefer the quoted figure for bhp/torque for the Mazda but given it's history with diesel engines I will be putting them to one side for now.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:02 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SarahS
I think I will be changing to the Rav4 after all. I agree with most of your comments above but looking at the resale value in 3-4 years time, the Rav4 seems to fair better. All being well I'll change on to a Hybrid version in a few years when the prices are within budget.

On the plus side of the RAV4 is the new warranty scheme that Toyota have just released, you get 12 months warranty when you service with the dealership up to 10 years of age/100,000 miles, which ever is soonest - bonus for me as the dealer I'm in talks with only provides a short warranty anyway. No point paying to extend it when Toyota are now providing this option.

I do prefer the quoted figure for bhp/torque for the Mazda but given it's history with diesel engines I will be putting them to one side for now.
Originally Posted by SarahS
Thanks, unfortunately the 2.5 petrol is too thirsty for my liking/usage. Diesel is the most economical for me until it arrives in Hybrid format within budget

Thanks both for your input, it has been helpful.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:37 AM

Best of luck with the new Toyota, I'm sure it will be good so enjoy!

TBH there are no "bad" cars anymore, due to the competition and the market, they all have to perform equally impressively
So ultimately it's down to personal choice, style, extras and how it looks and makes you feel.

Just for info, if you are only looking at a diesel for economy, be careful as all diesel engines are designed for big mileage and long journeys.
If it's only to be used around town, or for short trips, and you are doing less than 18000 miles a year, you could have problems (whatever the manufacturer) and a petrol engine might be a better/more economical bet. Petrol/hybrid, even better - but do your research not all hybrids are equal yet and there are hidden costs in the battery tech too.

best of luck with it all - it's a minefield

Andy

Old 06-03-2021, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Trumpetdropper
Best of luck with the new Toyota, I'm sure it will be good so enjoy!

TBH there are no "bad" cars anymore, due to the competition and the market, they all have to perform equally impressively
So ultimately it's down to personal choice, style, extras and how it looks and makes you feel.

Just for info, if you are only looking at a diesel for economy, be careful as all diesel engines are designed for big mileage and long journeys.
If it's only to be used around town, or for short trips, and you are doing less than 18000 miles a year, you could have problems (whatever the manufacturer) and a petrol engine might be a better/more economical bet. Petrol/hybrid, even better - but do your research not all hybrids are equal yet and there are hidden costs in the battery tech too.

best of luck with it all - it's a minefield

Andy
Thank you. I have just sold my diesel golf (albeit reluctantly), no issues with that for the last 3-4 years, just getting to the point where the big costly service items were due and was getting to small for my family, so made sense to make the change to the RAV4,

In terms of mileage I have a 35 mile return commute each day plus the unknown distance each weekend of attending my sons rugby matches. They can be 100+ miles at times too. Overall diesel had served me well since 2010 so I’ll stick with that for now. Hopefully the next change will be a hybrid of sorts, watch this space