Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2017 CX-5 Trunk issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 07:21 AM
Default 2017 CX-5 Trunk issues

Good Morning!

Wondering if anyone else is having trunk issues?? At just over 2 years old since I got the car brand new my trunk started having a really loud clunk when opening and won’t shut without me putting a little pressure on it. Very frustrating yes it has 46,000 miles but barely used the trunk until this year. Took to Mazda dealer quoted $900 to fix it. A little disappointed my trunk is already broken. Anyone else having this issue?? Seems like should be a recall. Debating whether to fix it because will this issue happen again in two years? Was a huge Mazda fan. Not so sure now. Just curious if this is a known issue or just perhaps I got a bad trunk?? Thanks!

Old 05-12-2020, 08:27 AM

2016.5 here, no issues. Did you try some lubrication, I use a bit of white lithium grease periodically.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:38 AM

yes I did several times didn’t help one bit. Tried two different lubricants as well. Grr!

Originally Posted by Chris!
2016.5 here, no issues. Did you try some lubrication, I use a bit of white lithium grease periodically.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jlloyd512
Good Morning!

Wondering if anyone else is having trunk issues?? At just over 2 years old since I got the car brand new my trunk started having a really loud clunk when opening and won’t shut without me putting a little pressure on it. Very frustrating yes it has 46,000 miles but barely used the trunk until this year. Took to Mazda dealer quoted $900 to fix it. A little disappointed my trunk is already broken. Anyone else having this issue?? Seems like should be a recall. Debating whether to fix it because will this issue happen again in two years? Was a huge Mazda fan. Not so sure now. Just curious if this is a known issue or just perhaps I got a bad trunk?? Thanks!
Just over 2 years old, but I see it is over 36K miles, so the bumper-to-bumper warranty has expired. I would double check with the Mazda dealer if they are willing to do a goodwill fix without charging.

FWIW, this is one of the main reasons why I got a 6-year extended warranty. Would definitely recommend it if your budget allows it.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:21 AM

Yea this is the first new car I bought didn’t think about extended warranty. Won’t make that mistake again. Dealer won’t work with me. I asked about meeting half way not a change. Guess stuck with the expense. Just don’t want to fix it and break again in 2 years.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:54 AM

Take the estimate from the dealer to a local mechanic and see what they would charge for the same work.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:07 PM

Just did they can do it cheaper. About $200 cheaper maybe more will see. Car is in great condition otherwise must be a defect let’s hope this fix does it. Otherwise I may just end my streak with Mazda’s

Old 05-12-2020, 12:17 PM

Good Morning!

Is this a power operated hatch?

Old 05-12-2020, 02:24 PM

Yes power hatch back wish it wasn’t!

Old 05-12-2020, 10:28 PM

Yes power hatch back wish it wasn’t!
There's the main closing motors then, when the hatch reaches the latch, there's another motor that pulls the hatch completely closed. Is the final latch -pull closing mechanism what you're having trouble with?

Quick Reply: 2017 CX-5 Trunk issues