Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2019 CX-5 Signature

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2024, 02:47 PM
Default 2019 CX-5 Signature

I have a question to everyone owning a CX-5. My 2019 CX-5 Signature (with less than 18k miles) has a broken/faulty internal bracket that holds the len (driver side) on the rear bumper. Has anyone experienced this??? When I bought the car, the sales agent sold me a warranty that it will cover everything (little did I know it is only for mechanical). I took the car to a local Mazda dealer that wanted $250 just for diagnostic which is strange because you can clearing see the internal len bracket inside the bumper is broken. The bumper and len has never been damaged, with zero scuff mark, or even scratched. And it is pretty obvious that there was some kind of manufacturing issue. Now, I am in a dilemma trying to figure out paying the $250 for the diagnostic and then the Mazda service department telling me to pay for the repair. I did call Mazda Customer Service (Case Number 00227286) to air out my complaint. Mazda needs to do the right thing and fix it!!!

*photo showed some wax/reflection stuff on the bumper/len (absolutely zero damage on bumper/len).

Last edited by MLee1951; 08-22-2024 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-22-2024, 03:06 PM

updated photo of the rear bumper and len for a better view.

Old 08-22-2024, 03:18 PM

It would be better to have a body shop look at this. Or if you have access to ramps, get the rear end up and have a look under the complete bumper for any impact or scuffing. This includes carefully examining fasteners specifically the heads to see if there have been indications of being R&R. The way that the bumper assembly is done by robotics with lazar positioning so while not totally out of the realm of possibilities it is unlikely done from the factory.

Old 08-22-2024, 03:23 PM

I am however confused why MAZDA dealership was going to charge you to look at it? I see that you are in Ca may I ask which dealership? If in Northern CA I can recommend to you which dealership you should go to. Unfortunately, if you are Southern Ca I only know a couple and not as well for reputations.

Old 08-22-2024, 03:30 PM

Welcome to the forum

Old 08-22-2024, 04:02 PM

The len is "shielded" on the bumper and there is zero indication of being damaged!!! It is a factory manufacturing defect!!!

Old 08-22-2024, 04:04 PM

I went to Burlingame Mazda ...... they want to squeeze me for the diagnostic and then nail me for the cost to fix it (out of warranty).

Last edited by MLee1951; 08-22-2024 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2024, 04:31 PM

Ok well I guess you look under as I described then. If you have a body shop confirm your thoughts about it being a defect and as you have a case number already established with Mazda it would be in your favor to include that. Otherwise it is a 50/50 chance they will do an adjustment. Also, if you purchased new from that dealership, I am surprised that they will not do a courtesy service check or even if it is a question of a defect support that finding with your case #. But as dealerships are independently owned, they do not have to extend any offers for free with a Mazda customer and not a dealership customer.
I am also wondering unless I misunderstood why you are not at the dealerships body shop talking to them instead of the service department?
I am still wondering why the service writer is not doing a free inspection. Maybe you need to go to his manager and discus it with them?

The bumper to bumper is a sales ad phrase and the WAARRTY is very specific in most cases. This is not as cut and dry as you think. If you are totally convinced you are correct you can always choose to have an independent body shop replace the parts and attempt to sue (small claims court) MAZDA direct. (it not hard to sue an auto manufacture as some think. And if you request pre trail hear arbitration you are likely to win without ever entering a courtroom) Not the dealership as they follow the Mazda Warranty guidelines. You would need to have the body shop indicate clearly that they feel it was a defect.

I would however maybe stop posting any more or additional pictures until you decide what end action you are going to take. Maybe also be less verbal that you know for a fact it is a defect until you get someone in the Mazda dealership or a quality body shop to support your thoughts.

Old 08-22-2024, 05:03 PM

I will check out Mazda body shop and ask them for an inspection ...... and I was told by Mazda customer service to visit the service department (and not the body shop, which makes more sense)!!!

Old 08-22-2024, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by MLee1951
I will check out Mazda body shop and ask them for an inspection ...... and I was told by Mazda customer service to visit the service department (and not the body shop, which makes more sense)!!!
If you asked for parts, they were likely to send you to service as well (kidding) LOL

Quick Reply: 2019 CX-5 Signature