Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2020 CX 5 Touring Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 02:50 PM
Default 2020 CX 5 Touring Gas Mileage

Does anyone have a problem with gas mileage for a 2020 CX 5 Touring. Mine is only 3 weeks old, yet I have not gotten over 17.5 MPG. I was told the minimum was 23 MPG and highway 28 MPG..

I also noticed that the initial acceleration seems a bit hesitant and very noisy, like I have a sluggish Transmission. Is this nornal for a vehicle with just over 1000 miles? (I bought it with 5 miles, brand new)

Old 10-23-2020, 03:37 PM

That's a pretty low mpg number. How is your driving? Frequent short trips in the city? If yes, that might be a factor.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:33 PM

It sounds like the transmission isn't upshifting like it should, Check to make sure the switch on the console is NOT in the "sport" setting, and that the shift lever is in the right-hand position.

Last edited by khaug1; 10-23-2020 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Shift lever position should be "right"
Old 10-24-2020, 01:23 AM
Default Low Gas Mileage and Transmission concern.

[QUTE=khaug1;188695]It sounds like the transmission isn't upshifting like it should, Check to make sure the switch on the console is NOT in the "sport" setting, and that the shift lever is in the right-hand position.[/QUOTE]

Thank-you, both for your help. My Salesman just became a Service Technician, so I am going to bring your suggestions to him.

Old 10-24-2020, 02:29 AM
BWJ

Mine also ran quite short from new (July 2020) but it is getting better and better, now after 5500 km it is up at about 16 km/l, I suppose it's the run-in period that makes it

Last edited by BWJ; 11-19-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:24 AM

I have just over 2800 miles on mine. Most of my driving is trips under 10 miles in a very hilly area (Missouri Ozarks). I have averaged 26.2mpg in that period. I have a practice of never resetting the "B" odometer after each fill up which is a great way of keeping a running total of gas mileage since the car was new. On my "around town" trips I generally get about 24-25 mpg per trip and on the few highway trips I have taken, again in a relatively hilly area, I have gotten about 32-33 mpg. I believe there is something definitely wrong with your car and the dealer should address it. I concur that there is sometimes a break-in period but what you are describing is way too low for even a brand new car with no miles--at least im my experience. I hope your dealer has a service writer whi will listen to you. At least with the computer in the car you have hard numbers for them to see.

Old 10-24-2020, 11:09 AM

Some thing doesn't sound right. My 2020 GTR averages 23-25 mpg in mixed
driving. That includes some 70+ mph trips of 20-40 miles and return.
I would add that the little current mpg meter to the left of the speedometer
has shown 40mpg on a couple of short stretches at 55mph. Level and more or less
straight.
Dealer needs to check that out.

My 2¢

Old 10-24-2020, 05:03 PM

Something is up for sure. Our 19 with the identical power train routinely gets 26-29MPG depending on city vs highway.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:33 PM

Check to see how the monitors are in the OBDII diagnostic connector.

Old 11-14-2020, 01:10 PM

I recently bought a 2019 CX-5 Signature which I believe has a similar power train as the Touring. My vehicle had 13,500 miles and experienced about 28 mpg driving 80-85 mph from Los Angeles to Sacramento, and it probably would have been better had the speed been at 70 mph. But around town, it appears to gravitate towards the mid 19 mpg. I believe when we buy a car that is capable of going 0 to 60 mph in 6.2 seconds, making it sporty like the BMWs and Audi’s, gas mileage pays the price. I’m learning how to be gentle on the accelerator in town as my natural tendency is to go fast, but I’m finding you don’t have to move the accelerator pedal very much before the cars wants to perform like a little rocket. I believe this all has to do with the turbocharger which, on one hand, brings great power efficiency out of a relatively tiny, 4 cylinder, engine, but on the other hand, with that added air breathing capability, every little movement of the accelerator pedal wants to draw fuel to equal the rush of air coming to the engine from the turbo. Yes, I was surprised at the below 20 mpg performance, but I really love my little red rocket!!! The acceleration across the entire velocity band is effortless, even past 85 mph! The biggest complaint about the non-turbo models is that they were sluggish in accelerating, especially at highway speeds. Mazda for sure has solved this problem in its Turbo offerings, but most likely at the expense of city gas mileage. If I do find that others are not experiencing the same city mileage, I will dive into it and will report back to the forum.

Quick Reply: 2020 CX 5 Touring Gas Mileage