Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2021 Cx-5 Nav

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 10:51 AM
Default td2k-66-ez1

I am getting it (new SD card for 2021's is it's on its way from Ebay now) for my 2021 GT as a backup to Apple Carplay. I have noticed that it is easy to lose the nav screen, even if temporarily with AC if your phone should lose its internet signal....has happened to me several times already. I have also had slow connections or lost radio stations played through apps such as Tune In Radio via Apple Carplay, Sometimes I just don't trust the connection depending on the course of my travels particularly through remote areas. I want to have the option to get my nav signal through satellite rather than LTE, 4g or 3g from my smartphone.

That being said, I will admit that Apple Carplay is much easier to program the nav with the Siri voice commands than the Mazda SD card. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, so that is why I want the capability to use both.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:59 PM

Let us know how you like the SD card driven Nav system. I, too have found that Apple Car Play maps disappear when we get off the beaten path, which isn't too far from us.

Thanks.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Zingowner
Let us know how you like the SD card driven Nav system. I, too have found that Apple Car Play maps disappear when we get off the beaten path, which isn't too far from us.

Thanks.
A few months ago, I was heading for a hiking trip upstate NY. I plugged in the address - well off the beaten path using Car Play. All was well until I was about 20 miles away and shut the car off to buy a sandwich. When I restarted my car, I just could not get Car Play to function - lost all service, including the ability to text, email or call. Unfortunately I did not write down the address, so I ended up going back home. Besides being frustrated for the time and gas lost, I felt terrible about delaying the hike for the group. My texts finally got through an hour later.
Lessons learned for this type of adventure - write down/enter into NAV the address and if feasible bring that old school, tried and true paper map - kinda the way we all used to do before GPS/Iphones, NAV came into being.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
A few months ago, I was heading for a hiking trip upstate NY. I plugged in the address - well off the beaten path using Car Play. All was well until I was about 20 miles away and shut the car off to buy a sandwich. When I restarted my car, I just could not get Car Play to function - lost all service, including the ability to text, email or call. Unfortunately I did not write down the address, so I ended up going back home. Besides being frustrated for the time and gas lost, I felt terrible about delaying the hike for the group. My texts finally got through an hour later.
Lessons learned for this type of adventure - write down/enter into NAV the address and if feasible bring that old school, tried and true paper map - kinda the way we all used to do before GPS/Iphones, NAV came into being.
My family laughs at me when they look in my glove box and see the maps for Illinois and Wisconsin (and one just for Chicago) even though I haven't used them in years. Better safe than sorry!

I agree though. It's good to have the SD card as a backup option in the Mazdas. For the price it's worth it.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by GregP74
My family laughs at me when they look in my glove box and see the maps for Illinois and Wisconsin (and one just for Chicago) even though I haven't used them in years. Better safe than sorry!

I agree though. It's good to have the SD card as a backup option in the Mazdas. For the price it's worth it.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how something that Mazda charges ~ $450 for can be gotten (legitimately) on EBay for $75.00?

Old 12-27-2020, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how something that Mazda charges ~ $450 for can be gotten (legitimately) on EBay for $75.00?
I was kinda shocked when I got mine 5 years ago for the 2015 for a little over $300 rather than $450. The prices you can get them for now are crazy!

Old 12-27-2020, 10:05 AM

Used to be, that when you got the higher trim levels like the GT, the nav SD card was included in the package. Such was the case with my 2016 GT. Could not believe when I just purchased my 2021 GT that my salesman told me that the card does not come with it, would have to be purchased separately for $350+.......as he tried to sell me on the newer Car Play as being a better feature for navigation, communication and entertainment. Believed him at first, that is until my nav cut out a few times as I was out of range for my cellular signal, as did the radio app I was using. Car Play is only as dependable as your cellular signal, and may be intermittently lost in remote areas. For that reason, I definitely need a backup.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:19 PM

It works like a charm! Just plug in & play, latest version of US and NA maps. Also noticed that it can be played simultaneously with Google or Apple maps on Car Play, so it will be perfect as a backup. Just what the doctor ordered.......for only $75.....happy camper here!

Old 12-29-2020, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by ocinsomniac
It works like a charm! Just plug in & play, latest version of US and NA maps. Also noticed that it can be played simultaneously with Google or Apple maps on Car Play, so it will be perfect as a backup. Just what the doctor ordered.......for only $75.....happy camper here!
Just got mine delivered. Plugged it in and like you say works like a charm. Phew. Can't imagine how Mazda asks over $400.00 though!

Old 01-04-2021, 05:54 PM

Got mine today and as you experienced, its plug and play. It lit right up and now I'll have to learn how to use it for those destinations where the Apple Car Play gets sketchy due to cell towers being few and far between. And only $75.00 too!

Thanks to you all!

Have a safe and wonderful 2021!!

Quick Reply: 2021 Cx-5 Nav