Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2021 Cx-5 Nav

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 07:00 PM

Like you, Mike, I'm into my first month with my new 2021 CX-5, in my case a GT, Unfortunately, I've found the infotainment system hard to use, though the SD card I bought on Ebay is working just fine. That said, I find it disconcerting to have to do much button-pressing and screen-watching when I'm using the nav system and simply want to change radio stations. Definitely not something to do on a busy highway at normal Interstate speeds! So I took the easy way out: I installed a Garmin DriveSmart 65 GPS just like the one in my previous car (which went to my wife). Here's a link to the one I'm using and it's terrific:
Garmin Drive Smart with Alexa Garmin Drive Smart with Alexa

Now I can use the easy navigation with the Garmin and avoid being sucked down the Mazda infotainment rabbit hole. Makes me a much happier and safer driver. If there's anyone here without a backup camera, the Garmin Drive Smart above connects wirelessly with Garmin's great
Garmin BC 40, Wireless Backup Camera Garmin BC 40, Wireless Backup Camera
No connection with Garmin other than as a happy long-term user of their automotive products.

The CX-5 GT is a great automobile in my short experience, but the infotainment system disappoints, even using Apply CarPlay with my iPhone. YMMV--your mileage may vary!

Milt Baker, Fort Lauderdale, FL

Last edited by miltbaker; 04-15-2021 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:04 PM

One more thought, Mike. If you have not already done so, try this:
1. Shut down the car.
2. Insert the SD card.
3. Start the car.
4. Start the infotainment system.
I read somewhere that the card should not be inserted with the ignition switch on.

Good luck,

Milt Baker, Fort Lauderdale, FL

Last edited by miltbaker; 03-21-2021 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:12 AM

Thanks. I tried that too but same results. A total mystery to me.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:43 PM
Default A hodgepodge of replies

Originally Posted by Azav8or
I recently purchased a 2021 CX-5 GTR. I love the vehicle so far. I am now looking for an SD card for navigation. I bought one from Amazon that didn’t work. Is there anyone besides Mazda that sells one for the 2021? I have searched all I can here and google isn’t much better. Does anyone have the part number for this? Thanks so much. Joe.
I inherited a 2016 Mazda 3 without Nav; bought a Nav on Ebay for ~$25 worked great until cold outside and would constantly reboot until it warmed up (a known problem for even OEM cards of that era) so I cloned it to a new SD card and it worked fine.

It takes a few miles to "marry" a new card to a vehicle's VIN so Ebay sellers (may?) have purchased a new card and cloned it to other cards.

One of the features I really liked about the Nav in the 3 was showing gas, food and rest stops on the upcoming exits which Waze does not and actually was a factor in my buying a Mazda Vs. Cadillac who I worked for at the time.

I paid the dealer price for the card when I bought my 2020 CX5 if for no other reason than warranty if the card failed but I backed up an image of the card so I can burn it to another SD card if needed.

I usually use both "WAZE" on my phone and the Nav; small deviations I choose between if I know the area, weird ones I follow Waze if I scroll ahead and see a slowdown as happened today when there were 2 crashes on I-40 near Raleigh and it routed me around the worst of it.

Be prepared indeed; using both the Nav and a live updating app can save time if there is a bottleneck ahead.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
I'm showing my naivete, but where and how are these guys getting these OEM parts?
I ordered one and it worked OK. it was shipped from China so I'm certain it was a illegal clone.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:42 AM

I'm intruiged by this discussion. Here in the UK if the car comes with SatNav (and all current Mazda 3 series do) you get the SD card included and it comes with free 5 years of updates to European maps. You have to go online to get the updates and the Mazda site might reject these e-Bay type cards??

Old 04-15-2021, 04:58 PM

I have the 2021 Mazda CX-5 Carbon Edition (600 miles on the car). I purchased 2 nav cards #TD2K 66 EZ1 from 2 different vendors on EBay. The first one worked great for about 3 weeks and then started a reboot loop when inserted. Gets an error message “Unexpected error — Restarting. And reboots. Bought another card from Nav Kings on eBay and it does the same thing. The cards work on my computer. Let’s me backup, update maps, etc. but when I insert them in the car they don’t work. Just go into the reboot loop. Took the car in to the dealer. They checked it out but could find nothing wrong. They said if I purchase the $399 sd card from them they would guarantee that it will work but not for one purchased from another vendor. Said they don’t know what chip is in the card. Since I use Android Auto it isn’t worth $399 for the Mazda Nav system. I was willing to pay $50-60 for one in case I might be somewhere without cell phone coverage but $399 is pretty steep. I think it is reprehensible of Mazda to sell you a $30,000 automobile that is navigation capable and then hit you up for a $400 sd card to make it functional.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Whaley
I have the 2021 Mazda CX-5 Carbon Edition (600 miles on the car). I purchased 2 nav cards #TD2K 66 EZ1 from 2 different vendors on EBay. The first one worked great for about 3 weeks and then started a reboot loop when inserted. Gets an error message “Unexpected error — Restarting. And reboots. Bought another card from Nav Kings on eBay and it does the same thing. The cards work on my computer. Let’s me backup, update maps, etc. but when I insert them in the car they don’t work. Just go into the reboot loop. Took the car in to the dealer. They checked it out but could find nothing wrong. They said if I purchase the $399 sd card from them they would guarantee that it will work but not for one purchased from another vendor. Said they don’t know what chip is in the card. Since I use Android Auto it isn’t worth $399 for the Mazda Nav system. I was willing to pay $50-60 for one in case I might be somewhere without cell phone coverage but $399 is pretty steep. I think it is reprehensible of Mazda to sell you a $30,000 automobile that is navigation capable and then hit you up for a $400 sd card to make it functional.
Mke, I agree 100% with the higher trim levels like the Carbon Edition. I negotiated it in with my Mazda3 but I wonder if I could have gotten a few hundred off if I went without. I think it is great that the cheapest Mazda can get Navigation for only $50.00 on Amazon. But for the higher levels it should be included.

Sounds like the contacts on the card reader but I bet it would cost more than $400 to fix it yourself.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
Mke, I agree 100% with the higher trim levels like the Carbon Edition. I negotiated it in with my Mazda3 but I wonder if I could have gotten a few hundred off if I went without. I think it is great that the cheapest Mazda can get Navigation for only $50.00 on Amazon. But for the higher levels it should be included.

Sounds like the contacts on the card reader but I bet it would cost more than $400 to fix it yourself.

I'm also in agreement with Mike on the NAV card issue - damn it, it's cheap enough. I have the Carbon Edition and bought one from an Ebay seller for about &75.00 - so far so good. But it shouldn't be a crap shoot.
Mazda is itching to break through the economy car status into, well for lack of a better description - "near/almost" entry level luxury. Not supplying that card looks just what it is - a money grab.

Old 08-17-2022, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Azav8or
I found what should be the correct SD card on EBay. TD2K 66 EZ1. I will give it a try and see if it works. I probably should have waited for the Amazon version to save money, but wanted it now. I looked in to Android Auto but I have a small data plan and prefer using the installed equipment. If I don't end up liking the Mazda system I will try something else. Thanks for your replies.
QUMy 2018 mazda3 sport takes this sd card. My 3 yrs already expired. I have to buy another one off Amazon

Quick Reply: 2021 Cx-5 Nav