Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2021 CX-5 Sunroof Exploded

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
There is no free lunch ,moon roofs/sun roofs cost more are less safe in a colission /crash /rollover and are more prone to fail or break than a steel roof. It's Your choice, money and safety .
This is totally wrong information!
please do some research and learn why!!!!!

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Agreed. Does anyone offer a steel version anymore? I am not aware of one.
I suggest that you do the same thing... learn about how a sun roof is engineered the testing done by both the auto manufacture and other regulating institutions that DO PUBLISH the testing results!

Most all sun roof and other glass roof type are still laminated glass. Looking at previous pictures of MAZDAs in this thread with sunrrof glass farcturing you can see that it just like a windshield. Now maybe a couple people want to say we should stop using glass in windshields. LOL

If you cant answer by first reading testing results and understanding how a vehicle and parts and system are engineered don't embarrass yourself with ignorance.

Do the research on a subject before posting BS theories!

Last edited by Callisto; 07-04-2023 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-04-2023, 05:26 PM

There is no free lunch ,moon roofs/sun roofs cost more are less safe in a collision /crash /rollover and are more prone to fail or break than a steel roof. It's Your choice, money and safety .
That all depends on what your moon/sunroof is made of. I won't get into the physics of polycarbonate compounds here, as it would bore too many people.
I would suggest looking at some facts about polycarbonate and steel; Tensile Modulus or Young's Modulus are two good starting points.
Polycarbonate can withstand blasts of over 900 psi and is about 200 times stronger than steel by weight and is also more flexible than steel. This feature allows polycarbonate to flex and return to its original shape, dissipating impact energy. Unlike steel, polycarbonate also offers a lighter-weight solution with visual clarity. There are even newer plastic compounds there are even stronger recently invented by engineers at MIT.
You are correct that money is currently a defining issue for many and safety could be an issue if you don't wear your seatbelt but that goes without saying.
Not unlike choosing carbon fiber helmet (far better and far more expensive) over a fiberglass one.
Those statements obviously would exclude those who believe seat belts and helmets cause death, but there are less of those folks around with each passing day.

Old 07-05-2023, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
This is totally wrong information!
please do some research and learn why!!!!!

I suggest that you do the same thing... learn about how a sun roof is engineered the testing done by both the auto manufacture and other regulating institutions that DO PUBLISH the testing results!

Most all sun roof and other glass roof type are still laminated glass. Looking at previous pictures of MAZDAs in this thread with sunrrof glass farcturing you can see that it just like a windshield. Now maybe a couple people want to say we should stop using glass in windshields. LOL

If you cant answer by first reading testing results and understanding how a vehicle and parts and system are engineered don't embarrass yourself with ignorance.

Do the research on a subject before posting BS theories!
I don't see how it's BS to state a metal sunroof would be more resistant to breakage than glass. Nobody is suggesting we use something else for a windshield as we have to be able to see through it. A sunroof is not the same, as it can be metal and still work as intended when opened. I had several metal sunroofs on my cars over the years. Glass was added as way to allow light in even when closed, but that doesn't make it superior in all aspects. Would a rock, or other object hitting a metal sunroof make it shatter?

Old 07-05-2023, 10:36 AM

I don't see how it's BS to state a metal sunroof would be more resistant to breakage than glass. Nobody is suggesting we use something else for a windshield as we have to be able to see through it. A sunroof is not the same, as it can be metal and still work as intended when opened. I had several metal sunroofs on my cars over the years. Glass was added as way to allow light in even when closed, but that doesn't make it superior in all aspects. Would a rock, or other object hitting a metal sunroof make it shatter?
I NEVER said glass is superior to metal ! I did state that it is much safer then many realize or understand about how they are engineered to be used in a vehicle. On this respect there are structural engineers that do extensive testing before a sunroof is made as part of the vehicle integral support and strength over all. I do hold an Aircraft Structural Analysis and Modification Certification and have read design blue prints from at least 1 auto manufacture (BMW) about sunroof. And you have what education relating to this in anyway? LOL

I don't see you arguing with members like this on other forums . As I said do the research and stop acting stupid! I think if you would get off the fact that I do know more then you on these subjects and do some fact finding you would be more tolerable on some threads with your reposes.
I could post the institution(s) that did the testing but I rather members did that way when you learn it will be remembered !

OFF TOPIC: you are even pushing my limits of patience (that's is really difficult to do considering how many people and forums I participate on almost everyday) anymore on this forum all you want to do is troll where I post from the moment you log on! I get the troll notification alert. LOL

I forgot to add my new picture when responding to your comments. lol

Last edited by Callisto; 07-05-2023 at 10:40 AM. Reason: I forgot to add my new picture responding to chickdr
Old 07-05-2023, 02:23 PM

Would a rock, or other object hitting a metal sunroof make it shatter?
Steel can and does indeed shatter. It is all dependent on the of steel, quality and thickness.
Sheet metal on vehicles will likely not shatter (unless at absolute zero).
But is has a low tensile strength and therefore will bend, rip apart and puncture very easily.
Meaning rocks and other objects have and do puncture vehicle roofs.
This information is readily available on the internet or in engineering/metallurgy books at your local library.
You just need the wherewithal to conduct the research.

Old 07-11-2023, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by owynn.severiano
this issue may not be covered? I wish auto manufacturers weren't always trying to screw over the customer .
Many manufacturing companies will pawn off anything they can "legally" to the actual part manufacturer.
Especially when they only assemble it and do not actually make it or contract it to be made.
In motor vehicles that generally includes glass and tires.

Old 07-11-2023, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by owynn.severiano
this issue may not be covered? I wish auto manufacturers weren't always trying to screw over the customer .
They DON'T... Please post any real information that supports this personal comment? I would really like to read and possible learn from it if it is true.

Last edited by Callisto; 07-11-2023 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2023, 12:41 PM
Default poly

Originally Posted by Lobstah
That all depends on what your moon/sunroof is made of. I won't get into the physics of polycarbonate compounds here, as it would bore too many people.
I would suggest looking at some facts about polycarbonate and steel; Tensile Modulus or Young's Modulus are two good starting points.
Polycarbonate can withstand blasts of over 900 psi and is about 200 times stronger than steel by weight and is also more flexible than steel. This feature allows polycarbonate to flex and return to its original shape, dissipating impact energy. Unlike steel, polycarbonate also offers a lighter-weight solution with visual clarity. There are even newer plastic compounds there are even stronger recently invented by engineers at MIT.
You are correct that money is currently a defining issue for many and safety could be an issue if you don't wear your seatbelt but that goes without saying.
Not unlike choosing carbon fiber helmet (far better and far more expensive) over a fiberglass one.
Those statements obviously would exclude those who believe seat belts and helmets cause death, but there are less of those folks around with each passing day.
Polycarbonate would indeed be strong ,but would get scratched and ugly after a few years . Lexan would work,but is also prone to scrarching . The cost of the right monolthic polycarbonate with the coatings used on jet canopies would be the ideal solution,but is cost prohibitive . In the end you either take the chance of it breaking/failing or you don't .If you want to see the sky while driving ,you have to deal with the possible negitive issues of a sun roof/moon roof. Strictly as an issue of passenger/ocupant safety a vehicle with a solid roof of steel, carbon fiber or aluminum would be safer. Most of us just roll the dice and get full glass coverage ,and enjoy the ride .

Old 07-11-2023, 12:45 PM

Strictly as an issue of passenger/ocupant safety a vehicle with a solid roof of steel, carbon fiber or aluminum would be safer. Most of us just roll the dice and get full glass coverage ,and enjoy the ride .
This is so unactual I am still smiling and rolling my eyes reading it.

I think I have pointed out a few source's of more factual information concerning sunroofs? Maybe a member or 2 should read them? LOL

Old 07-11-2023, 12:54 PM

chickdr just signed in the forum and went right for this thread! trolling... LOL
His response is being typed in as i am posting this. LOL

Last edited by Callisto; 07-11-2023 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: 2021 CX-5 Sunroof Exploded