Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2021 CX-5 Sunroof Exploded

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2024, 01:50 PM

This just happened to me in my 2021 Mazda3 and I'm getting the run-around.

Old 06-22-2024, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mazda.Owner
This just happened to me in my 2021 Mazda3 and I'm getting the run-around.
Depends on the dealer. Some are really good about getting it done, others not so much. That is the theme if you read through the forums.

Old 06-22-2024, 02:09 PM

The thing I don't get is why everyone runs to a Mazda dealer and wants a warranty replacement? If a rock hits your hood and makes a big dent you don't demand a new hood. If a rock hits your windshield and makes a big crack you don't demand a warranty replacement. If your sunroof takes a rock why not handle it the same way with a comprehensive insurance claim? The sunroof on a cx-5 angles forward just like the windshield and it is just as easy to take an impact.

Old 06-23-2024, 07:04 AM

As with all glass a sunroof can be easily damaged by road debris.
Most dealers will only cover a shattered sunroof under warranty if you can prove there was defective materials/workmanship.
That means it is up to the owner to prove that damage was not caused by debris.
That requires an engineer or small claims court with a lawyer and your court time.
Both of which will generally be more than paying the cost of the replacement.

I would point out unless you have all the glass pieces it is nearly impossible to prove or disprove something hitting the glass.
It's much easier to have good insurance that will pay for the replacement as they do with windshields.
I've never had a vehicle, including motorcycles & boats, that didn't require a windshield/windscreen repair or replacement.
Except for the low flying partridge and the Coke bottle thrown out a car window I had no damage cause proof.
I have my assumptions, but I couldn't prove to anyone what the exact cause of these incidents was.

Last edited by Lobstah; 06-23-2024 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-23-2024, 07:33 AM

My guess is many people don't carry full coverage so like most people that don't take responsibility they look to someone else when a problem occurs. I'm sure there is some element of mfg responsibility in that they could have not offered sunroofs, used laminate, angled it different etc but there is still the windshield example. Proper insurance makes it so easy.

FWIW, as recommended read the investigation. You won't find it at the NTSB though, wrong agency. NTSB investigates aviation, trains, boat, and only motor vehicles when involving a plane, boat, train etc. The investigation was done by the NHTSA and it's on their site.

Old 06-23-2024, 09:35 AM

Gosch who dragged this thread up again???
Currently NO reputable agency has been able to determine the exact cause of sunroofs seemingly to spontaneously break for no reason. breaking. The term exploding is only a description not a fact.
exploding:
verb
  1. burst or shatter violently and noisily as a result of rapid combustion, decomposition, excessive internal pressure, or other process, typically scattering fragments widely:
No agency that I am aware of has had a vehicle being tested that while testing spontaneously broke. The test in all cases performed were either very basic or amateur in content or done in such a way that only gave theory without conclusion based on actual prof and facts. A control test environment is the useful testing that was done that I found.

I would like to see actual facts proving that their were defects in a specific year or year range of the same models and who the reporting agency was.

I am not saying it does not exist but everything thus far is not pointed to a mass production of poorly manufactured sunroofs.

The agencies NTSB as well The NHTSA both have reports on file about the subject
Many courts across the US (mostly small claims not civil) have cases filed as well. And if you look into the results very few resulted in favor of the consumer and there was no proof of defect only a settlement offered. But again, there are so many I could not find one that support the theory of defective universal manufacture sunroof breaking.

To many theorist on this thread and still no real empirical data and information!!!!!

Old 06-23-2024, 09:52 AM

It doesn't change the facts that some are able to get the SR replaced under warranty though. Obviously, one isn't going to know exact cause unless they see an object hit the SR. My most recent windshield damage was obvious. I saw a rock come off a dump truck and fly directly to the lower drivers side corner of my windshield, causing several stars and an immediate crack. With many of these SR posts, people have no such cause. Just driving along and out of nowhere the SR breaks. "Explosion" is just the sound it makes when it happens. SR's don't chip/star/crack like a windshield, they just break into a million pieces.

So I would definitely ask my dealer and possibly even call Mazda if they don't want to help. Why not try and get it covered? Most folks have a deductible on any insurance claim. In GA, we don't have the no deductible glass coverage some states have. The deductible was much higher than the cost of windshield replacement on my 20 Frontier.

Old 06-23-2024, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
It doesn't change the facts that some are able to get the SR replaced under warranty though. Obviously, one isn't going to know exact cause unless they see an object hit the SR. My most recent windshield damage was obvious. I saw a rock come off a dump truck and fly directly to the lower drivers side corner of my windshield, causing several stars and an immediate crack. With many of these SR posts, people have no such cause. Just driving along and out of nowhere the SR breaks. "Explosion" is just the sound it makes when it happens. SR's don't chip/star/crack like a windshield, they just break into a million pieces.

So I would definitely ask my dealer and possibly even call Mazda if they don't want to help. Why not try and get it covered? Most folks have a deductible on any insurance claim. In GA, we don't have the no deductible glass coverage some states have. The deductible was much higher than the cost of windshield replacement on my 20 Frontier.
You confuse what a warranty replace is. Dealerships can use under their contract a judgment to warranty any part. They must however submit for renourishment to the auto manufacture under contract guidelines. NOT all WARRATY replacements are paid to the dealership for warranty replacement renourishment. Because we can read from members on forums and other internet portals that customer was WARAARTIED a service or part is not and often not what the end result of the dealership was authorized or reimbursed for the warranty service. Unless the auto manufacture PRE APPROVES a warranty then the dealership takes the risk of not getting paid for their judgement call on any WARRATY service they do. Dealership have what they call a "bank" of their call for warranty work that gets deducted as per their individual contract. When that "bank" is empty that dealership will be less active to do anything but approved WARANTY work by the auto manufacture.

Many times, dealership will do a warranty service out of courtesy or to build a customer base or just to get rid of a PIA customer. But yes most of the time the WARRATY service is paid to the dealership. WE as the public DO NOT see these PRIVATE dealership informatio0n and there is no reason any independent auto dealership would provide those details publicly. It is to say it bluntly for public NONE OF THIER BUISNESS!!! lol

I do agree that people should try all options (mostly request it from the dealership not go directly to the auto manufacture) (a dealership can refuse to do any warranty service even it is approved from the auto manufacture) get a service WARRTIED if it is specifically under a warranty under their warranty information.

BTW you are comparing a sunroof glass to a windshield not in any way the same construction!

When this happened I check all my glass. My insurance did not cover it. However because I had dash cam footage the trucking company paid for a new replacement windshield. I used MAZDA OEM.

Mazda and your dash cam shorts - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

My best suggestion is to find a way to learn about the various contracts between an auto manufacture and those privatley owned business dealerships before assuming you think you know how they are run?

I love the signs in some food establishments that say
No shirt no shoes no service

and my all time favorite directly relating to any automotive service

cost of service is directly related to your attitude

Last edited by Callisto; 06-23-2024 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-23-2024, 10:54 AM

I never claimed to know how a dealership (or OEM) warranty works. What I said was to ask if they will replace the SR as they might just do so. I could care less if it is really a warranty issue, or just goodwill. If it gets replaced - no difference to me. I have no need to go into a class to understand how a car warranty works. If I pay 35k for a car (as I did for my CX-5) I am certainly going to get as much as I can out of the dealer before the warranty ends. I also understand the glass on the SR is different than the windshield (just like the side and rear window glass are different). I was just explaining why folks said it was an explosion. The difference the glass type is the cause of the "explosion".

You also asked "Who dragged this thread up again?" To me, it was smart of the poster to search and find this thread before making a new one and starting all over again. Better to see what others have been able to accomplish and see what tips others may have rater than starting a new thread IMHO.

Old 06-23-2024, 11:10 AM

You should know by now I often respond in generalities and at times if the quote is in my response, it is not so directed at you or other but to respond to the information in general from a member.
I am also of the strong opion and because I own a couple of forums that I often will seperate or combine member response aproperiatly. The newest repsonse IMHO based on what I just said may have been on the fence to star a thread of ownership with that member or leave it here. Based on that response it is another less then accurate and loss or absent details thus adding to the conflict of nonfactual information about vehicle glass in general.

And YUP you and many other assume how things are done regarding auto manufacture WARRATIES and what is really done! You and other will spend time to search for support of others having the same concerns and complaints yet disregard the procedure and most importantly the legal obligation under... well any manufacture WARRANTY.
If you read the MAZDA full WARRANTY it leaves a lot of guessing what is covered and more importantly what is NOT covered for interpretation.

The arguments seen on forum of different platforms is why a system only the part or a few parts are covered and many think every part around the system must be warrantied or replaced. Doesn't work that way.

Here is another fact I failed to mention. Auto dealership seldom get full labor cost renourishment for WARRANTY service . So without having to detail what that means, I am sure more intelligent individuals ( business owners that sell parts and service for anything ) know where I could go with that comment.

Quick Reply: 2021 CX-5 Sunroof Exploded