Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2022 CX-5 NA/CE- 7500mi UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 10:37 PM
Default 2022 CX-5 NA/CE- 7500mi UPDATE

I took delivery with 3 miles on my vehicle which should leave little room for lot lackeys to destroy the transmission by fliping it from D-R and R-D while moving it or driving it with general disrespect which I personally witnessed with REGULARITY after working at over 15 different car dealers of all levels in my life.( this is one example of pre-delivery abuses possible ) - When i read early issues with normally reliable vehices like the CX-5 - I usually ask about the circumstances and mileage prior to delivery - Manager specials were big back in the 80s/90s in which different level sales managers and owners ( including family ) would grab a " new " car off the lot , hammer away 1500-3000 miles of usually brutal abusive driving and flip it back to the lot as a used low mileage managers special - i learned a lot from watching this regular practice - these days , im out of the loop -but wont ever buy a car with over 2-3 miles -
Im not refering to Mazda dealers - So initally my experience was that this CX-5 was " jumpy " and extrememy sensitive from a stop to accelerating and crusing at city speeds range , and noticed difficulty maintaining low citys speeds 25-45 and having it run smoothly - One big one was after longer freeway drives coming to a near complete stop and then accelerating back from
1st gear . it would lunge into 1st gear as it never fully went there and stayed in 2nd even down to a 1mph california stop ...then when accelerating hard the trans would lunge into 1st and was definitly not something I wanted it to keep doing - No dash lights/ AT / CHECK ENG - EGR etc , no other issues , just these quirks which even the dealer cleared as normal - I resolved both issues and the vehicle now operates quite well , smooth , great mileage and predictable transmission transitions - First I changed the fuel - initally using all grades at multiple places which
sell advertised " top tier " gas , some requiring memberships - even 91 didnt make much difference ( not turbo mind you ). Then I upped the anty one day and decided to pop for top grade high octane brand name fuel - instantly - the idle , engine acceleration and constant low speeds were completley altered as if the engine was just tuned up ? Its remained this way since that change in the 3000 mile area . Then the lunge from low speed rolling stops was resolved - I walked myself thru the operation of the transmission transitions and realized what I was experiencng when making a complete stop, was the master cylinders interaction with the transmission - pressure and release time before accelerating . It turns our these vehicles are built with such high tolerances that this is partially if not fully a break in issue . So upon stopping after higher speeds , I made sure it was a full stop , then tested the brake/ master cylinders releasing time prior to allowing engagement - There was the rub- If the brakes had been used heavily inner city , stop -go ,( esentially - warmed -up) i would seldom get this lunge into 1st , but if i was driving for extended periods ( over 1/2 hr ) without any braking , the master cylinder would take a split second longer to let the brake pedal release and 1st gear to fully engage - Problem solved - master cylinder is new, tight as a drum and will require many many miles to full loosen up - but until then - its now manageable and getting better with more use . It turns out to be about learning to break this car in and how to drive it while its changing - than any fault of engineering - At 7500miles it runs great in every way -Had to shut down the City Smart Braking - as I dont like not being able to swerve around a right turning car without the fear of a full brake lock-up - which occured and will not again - Still trying to learn how to shut off DRL - which it claims can be done thru the cars settings - but cannot - its wont allow it - Ive always thought DRLs should be easily turned off/on as I see countless people driving at night , forgetting to turn on the headlights ...as the DRLs light the road and dash , which is always on - yes , auto solves that , but still . 5-star auto -- Most driving is fwy and its geared to run effortessly at 75-80 which where I live is the slow lane - but 31-32 mpg at these speeds is good - Vehicle is quiet and handles very well - Mazdas marketing dept , is the only issue - getting a beautiful Carbon Edition without the option of BOSE audio is a travesty - One reason -,force a trim level upgrade - its unfortunate - I would sacrafice the sunroof for Bose audio without a second thought - but otherwise - a truly great vehicle for the $$$ -

Last edited by diehard888; 05-18-2022 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:13 AM

Hi Pat. I'd like to buy a carriage return please.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by TB250
THE PERFECT RESPONSE!!! Almost impossible to read that post...

Old 05-19-2022, 01:12 PM

I turn off the Smart City Braking each and every time I start the car for the same reason as you; what a pain. Did you find a way to turn it off permanently?
That is my biggest complaint about my 2021 Signature.

Old 05-19-2022, 06:56 PM

Holy Run on Sentence Batman.

That said, I got my CE edition with 3 miles on it and while it does have its quirks, a lot of them you have noted I agree it is a very quiet and capable vehicle and economical to drive. The only issue I have had is the tires are complete crap. I turned 8700 miles on mine in 3 months today and just upgraded my tires. Now granted, I did have one that had 2 screws in it that were less than 2 inches apart and the tire shop could not repair it. Was a good reason to get better tires. Got a set of BF Goodrich Assurance Control All Seasons. Only a few miles so far but I like them much better than the crappy factory Toyo's.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by cadcamjim
I turn off the Smart City Braking each and every time I start the car for the same reason as you; what a pain. Did you find a way to turn it off permanently?
That is my biggest complaint about my 2021 Signature.
No - its like a flight checklist to have it set up correctly - Cessna 172 requires fewer workups - No it needs to be turned off each trip -

Old 05-19-2022, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
After breaking in 30+ new cars and selling cars for 35 - I suppose , its a bit cryptic -

Old 05-19-2022, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Apply yourself - the nomenclature of 35+ years ago in a plethora of dealers , with no rules , except one "ABC" - sell it today , as tomorrow never comes and yesterday is gone
- The main reason , you may be giving up - is those decades were unique in the auto Biz - and it was a face to face sales game
- no internet ( cept late 90s ) and it was a wide open game of dealer trades , pipeline destination switching, and a host of other unorthodox yet amusing things done, to roll a unit - once a new car had the 2 rear wheels leave the dealers lot, literally off of the sidewalk ..and curb - it was a tripped / sold unit - no returns , no cooling off - and I supoose that some of the younger guys here , may not have been driving yet - its not a put down - but thanks for the heads up , I will try to make it less Hunter Thompson and more ,Zig Ziggler -
- So my inital point was , cars that had mileage often were used by GMs and family as " Managers Specials " - they drove the new 9114S for 3000 miles - like it was stolen - and then we sold them as new - h

Old 05-21-2022, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by diehard888
No - its like a flight checklist to have it set up correctly - Cessna 172 requires fewer workups - No it needs to be turned off each trip -
I'm with you on that one; nothing worse than being distracted and forgetting to turn the Smart Braking off. The times that has activated while I was going around a car that is turning ahead of me has left me mentally scarred. Sooner or later I may get rear-ended by this obnoxious system.
I will continue to try to find a way to turn this "feature" off for good!. I am currently trying to get the dealer software (Mazda IDS/MDARS) up and running but I don't even know if that has a setting to turn that off.

On the subject of DRL's, I was able to turn mine off using the following procedure although it took me two or three tries to do it successfully but well worth the effort. Also, it does retain its new setting even after a battery dis-connect/re-connect.

Attached Files
Old 05-21-2022, 02:12 PM
Thumbs down

Apparently the OP doesn’t care if others can read his post or not, literally thumbing his nose at others. If that’s what 35 years in the car business does to one’s communication skills, it explains a lot about the car sales business. Another one for the Ignore list I guess….life’s too short for these types of irritants.

Quick Reply: 2022 CX-5 NA/CE- 7500mi UPDATE