Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2022 CX-5 - IS IT POSSIBLE TO TURN OFF DRLs ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 04:44 PM
Default 2022 CX-5 - IS IT POSSIBLE TO TURN OFF DRLs ?

Have a 2022 CX-5 just over a year. This is low priority but , I cannot locate any way to turn off the DRLs, even for one driving cycle -like SCBS which will reactivate after turing the ignition off -then back on. The only way Ive found to do this , is removing the fuse - which is not happening since the headlights run thru the same fuse- and its absurd unless its an emergency . Any suggestions would be appreciated .

Old 03-29-2023, 05:48 PM

You can pull the fuse , install an off/on switch or a possible sequence using the brakes, light and ignition switch etc., that may work to turn them completely off. I tried it and it did not work for me or a couple Mazda's I attempted the procedure . So cant recommend it but you can find it on the WWW.
I installed an off/on switch.

Old 03-30-2023, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by diehard888
Have a 2022 CX-5 just over a year. This is low priority but , I cannot locate any way to turn off the DRLs, even for one driving cycle .
On my 2021 I pulled the DRL relay from the fuse box under the hood. No more DRL

Old 03-30-2023, 06:03 AM

Although there is a bit of a learning curve, I believe Forscan will do it for you - I made the change on my 2016.

Old 03-30-2023, 07:29 AM
Default Why disable daytime running lights?

Uh, by DRL, you are referring to daytime running lights, right? They seem to me to be a good safety feature. Different owners, different needs--I get that. But why disable them?

MiltB 2021CX5 GT

Old 03-30-2023, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by miltbaker
Uh, by DRL, you are referring to daytime running lights, right? They seem to me to be a good safety feature. Different owners, different needs--I get that. But why disable them?

MiltB 2021CX5 GT
The problem with safety features is as so many vehicles have them now they are ignored by most drivers. It like brakes, ECU controlled system have made safe braking practices more or less reduced by the drivers. IMHO the majority of drivers think they are safer driving at normal speeds even in adverse driving conditions. They think! Ask 1000 people what there stopping distance is in the vehicle they are driving in perfect operating conditions, 1 may "guess" correctly

There are circumstance that you don't want to be seen!!
Also if you are competitively driving in some track regulations, they do not allow DDL.
Personal preference, of controlling that which appears not to be controllable. Which is my favorite

The FORSscan(*limited ECU/TCM access) nor will *Soleus (*waaaaay better for diagnostic work, no limitation accept ECU, PID individual calibrating) will not do this to all the VIN model Mazda's and basically goes back to forcing a protocol, same thing as attempting to manually doing the procedure I mentioned looking for earlier.

Old 03-30-2023, 12:24 PM

Not sure why you want to turn them off, they are a proven safety feature.
It's required for motorcycles in my state (and others) and also required in Canada which borders Maine.
The US is always behind in safety measures, we generally prefer to have people injured, maimed or killed over enacting safety regulations.

Old 03-30-2023, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Not sure why you want to turn them off, they are a proven safety feature.
It's required for motorcycles in my state (and others) and also required in Canada which borders Maine.
The US is always behind in safety measures, we generally prefer to have people injured, maimed or killed over enacting safety regulations.
Maybe I posted without thinking about my wording.... I like to be able to choose to turn them on and off some functions like the daylight running lights. Even in the planes I fly you must manually turn on running and landing lights.
I do agree that they are a proven safety feature.

Old 03-30-2023, 01:29 PM

If you do find a way to disable them, you'll need to advise your insurer....as you've removed
an original safety feature.

Old 03-30-2023, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Geluk
If you do find a way to disable them, you'll need to advise your insurer....as you've removed
an original safety feature.
Yes, sure... Advise your insurer! NOT!

Quick Reply: 2022 CX-5 - IS IT POSSIBLE TO TURN OFF DRLs ?