Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2022 CX-5 - IS IT POSSIBLE TO TURN OFF DRLs ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 03:13 PM

Modern motor vehicles today have their own "black boxes".
When you get in an accident the insurance company and police will know just about everything.
What was on, what was off, what was disabled, how fast you were going and if you did or didn't apply your brakes among other things.
A GPS/cellphone and traffic/security/vehicle cameras can often tell more, like what bar/restaurant you stopped at.
And your credit card will tell them if and how much alcohol you purchased and how long it's been since you purchased it.
Like it or not, that's the world we live in now.

Old 03-30-2023, 03:15 PM

hahahahaha
chickdr19 you do have a sense of humor!!

Old 03-30-2023, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Maybe I posted without thinking about my wording.... I like to be able to choose to turn them on and off some functions like the daylight running lights. Even in the planes I fly you must manually turn on running and landing lights.
I do agree that they are a proven safety feature.
I was actually responding to the OP.
I now realize I should've said, "Not sure why anyone would want to turn off the safety feature".
We all know far too many people will only use safety features on anything if they are automatically turned on.
Either because of forgetfulness, not paying attention, refusal to do so or those not capable of a thought process.
That's why we see all those dumb safety warnings like the one below.

Old 03-30-2023, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Modern motor vehicles today have their own "black boxes".
When you get in an accident the insurance company and police will know just about everything.
What was on, what was off, what was disabled, how fast you were going and if you did or didn't apply your brakes among other things.
A GPS/cellphone and traffic/security/vehicle cameras can often tell more, like what bar/restaurant you stopped at.
And your credit card will tell them if and how much alcohol you purchased and how long it's been since you purchased it.
Like it or not, that's the world we live in now.
A response for fun, and maybe a bit real, you must decide knowing me?

What if......
The Mazda has counters and timers, but if you have ECU access you can re-set them at anytime..
Every time I upload the stock programing (back up file) it wipes all collected information from the ECU as well.
The GPS does have a bit more challenges but as long as you clear all history and pull the SD card the collected information is gone.
I do not have a front plate and the rear is somewhat photo blocked.
And I have completely Dabadge my car so unless you know without a doubt most don't know it is a MAZDA.
Credit card and debt card do suck for history collecting.... and I am suspicious lately I am being followed couple of drones? lol

Last edited by Callisto; 03-30-2023 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 03:43 PM

Yeah, many of us can do that.
I shall bow down to anyone who can do that in the immediate aftermath of an accident (provided they are still conscious).
I have no need to worry though, I always operate safely and have never broken any traffic laws or exceeded the speed limit.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:00 PM

Yeah, many of us can do that.
I shall bow down to anyone who can do that in the immediate aftermath of an accident (provided they are still conscious).
I have no need to worry though, I always operate safely and have never broken any traffic laws or exceeded the speed limit.
My ECU and GPS connected directly to IMF and will self destruct in the event of an accident.
And I always obey the traffic laws.... cub scout honor

Old 03-30-2023, 04:03 PM
Old 03-31-2023, 05:27 PM
Talking Have to agree with Lobstah

Not sure why you want to turn them off, they are a proven safety feature.
It's required for motorcycles in my state (and others) and also required in Canada which borders Maine.
The US is always behind in safety measures, we generally prefer to have people injured, maimed or killed over enacting safety regulations.
Can't think of a reason I would want to . What would be the benefit or point ? IMHO it can't hurt to be seen . J J CALE SAID IT BEST ,I AIN'T HIDEING FROM NOBODY, NOBODY'S HIDING FROM ME. Call me the breeze.

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 03-31-2023 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:22 PM
BWJ
Cool

Originally Posted by diehard888
Have a 2022 CX-5 just over a year. This is low priority but , I cannot locate any way to turn off the DRLs, even for one driving cycle -like SCBS which will reactivate after turing the ignition off -then back on. The only way Ive found to do this , is removing the fuse - which is not happening since the headlights run thru the same fuse- and its absurd unless its an emergency . Any suggestions would be appreciated .
Not sure, but is this too simple

Old 04-10-2023, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by miltbaker
Uh, by DRL, you are referring to daytime running lights, right? They seem to me to be a good safety feature. Different owners, different needs--I get that. But why disable them?

MiltB 2021CX5 GT
Why disable the DRLs ? Its a valid question - I often drive in high heat / specific desert freeways with one way traffic and prefer not to be using my running lights when theres no oncomming traffic - It gets up to 112+ where I live - Having DRLs on creates more heat , which can increase the degradation of the headlight carapace , making it turn opaque sooner - also , using a system that dosent need to be on when theres nobody for miles and hours why ? - everything has a finite life -so I would prefer to shut them down - make em last -
But heres the bigger issue - We have all seen vehicles on the road right after sunset with no running lights ...and dim headlights -..actually thats not the case - and im guilty of this ....with DRLs on ,the dash display lights are illuminated just as with headlights on , and when the sun sets the DRLs can trick you into thinking the headlights are on ....they're not . The only way to know is a small green/yellow dash indicator which represents a small headlight - this tells the driver the headlights are on ..and unless you go from daylight to immediate darkness - the transition can fool the driver and the headlights dont get turned on ..so you end up with DRLs as healights and no running lights .
I see it nearly every night on some car ,
Yes I could leave the stalk on " AUTO " which senses when dark , illuminating the headlights / but again, I dont want to drive around in AUTO mode 24/7 for other reasons -

Technology is great - but I want control of certain systems which the driver should be 100% in control and aware of. I see vehicles piling up more and more systems which are tedious to manipulate and frankly ,in my opinion its not totally about safety , its about having owners paying for the learning curve towards fully self-operating cars -
The safety stuff is where it gets dicey - SCBS 4 example is on unless you turn it off before driving - then it reactivates after each on/off cycle . I cannot just leave it off like lane keep assist . Yes why turn it off ...If you begin to enter an intersection with traffic flowing smoothly ,traffic light green ... you are in the right lane and the car infront of you signals a right turn ....this means you need to slow to a safe speed to keep a safe distance as that car turns right ....most efficient drivers watch this distance and speed carefully as keeping with the flow of traffic is courteous and who wants to stack cars behind you or have honking or get rear ended ....so once in a while that right turner in front of you SLAMS the breaks on because a pedestrian / runner or bicyclist rips into that crosswalk , the car in front may stop , may not , but if you are compromised by that sudden unexpected action ....try to turn around that car ( to the left ) - ( yes changing lanes in an intersection is illegal ) - the SCBS will then bring your forward progress to an unpleaseant and immediate halt , and that means you not only are at a dead stop in the middle of the intersection, but cannot turn or move until that stop is complete- Its plausable because we have all experienced the jay walker , ped , bike or power wheelchair tear into that right turn crosswalk trying to make their light - cause of many collisions - and I personally want full control of my vehicle .What looks great on paper in ideal exact speeds and conditions is often , in my experience usually is not how the real world operates.
Love my Mazda(s) and think theyre great - but it seems all new vehicles have some etoration if these safety systems - and if you want a great stereo and other top end accessories ...you are getting this stuff as well - its no longer a la carte' - its Prix Fixe .
Its a minor thing as I initally said - as my older Mazdas dont have DRLs at all . So I drive in Auto all the time now- heck , why even have the stalk options - just let it turn on and off when the sensor activates it -

Appreciate the myriad of suggestions to get those things to turn off-As I said -It's AUTO always now ....,,,
I dropped out of my post grad DRL-" To disable or not to disable ? that is the question " course - I found it to be , less than illuminating ..

..... -So I rebounded and I took a crash course called ..."lite running"
( in the daytime of course )....

but wait , If I make a joke about a safety item ...will I then be drawn and quartered ...or is the first joke just the standard " tar and feathering " ? coin toss i suppose

Last edited by diehard888; 04-10-2023 at 05:36 AM.

Quick Reply: 2022 CX-5 - IS IT POSSIBLE TO TURN OFF DRLs ?