Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2022 CX-5 Seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 09:10 PM
Default 2022 CX-5 Seats

Did anyone try the seats of the new 2022 CX-5? Wondering if they are better when compared to the seats of model years 2017-2021.

Old 01-22-2022, 11:20 PM

There was someone on the forum (Or another CX-5 forum) who drove one and said the seats were no different than the '21. They certainly look identical in photos.

EDIT: Just read another comment on another forum:

Ok, i just sat in a '22 specifically to see what the seat changes were. It looks like the side bolsters on the seat bottom are softer now and the front bolster (the part under your hamstrings) seems to also be softer and have a lower profile. Hopefully this will be enough to lessen complaints from some people that the seat put too much pressure on the legs.

So I would say check it out and see if the changes are significant to you since one person said they were the same and another noted better comfort. I like the seats in my '21

Last edited by chickdr19; 01-22-2022 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
There was someone on the forum (Or another CX-5 forum) who drove one and said the seats were no different than the '21. They certainly look identical in photos.

EDIT: Just read another comment on another forum:

Ok, i just sat in a '22 specifically to see what the seat changes were. It looks like the side bolsters on the seat bottom are softer now and the front bolster (the part under your hamstrings) seems to also be softer and have a lower profile. Hopefully this will be enough to lessen complaints from some people that the seat put too much pressure on the legs.

So I would say check it out and see if the changes are significant to you since one person said they were the same and another noted better comfort. I like the seats in my '21
Thanks for the feedback. I am going in for my service this Friday and in case they have a 2022 on the lot, will try it out.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by M4C3
Thanks for the feedback. I am going in for my service this Friday and in case they have a 2022 on the lot, will try it out.
Well... how much different/better were the 2022 seats?

Old 01-29-2022, 06:00 PM

If the seats bother you, i.e., being too firm, have softer foam installed by a good upholstery shop. Cost ~ $500 per seat here in WA state. Problem solved, and cheaper than replacing the car.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Zingowner
If the seats bother you, i.e., being too firm, have softer foam installed by a good upholstery shop. Cost ~ $500 per seat here in WA state. Problem solved, and cheaper than replacing the car.
Don't know, worried that they mess up the heated seats. Also, this is my wife's daily driver, if anything goes wrong, I am burnt

Old 02-01-2022, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jazee
Well... how much different/better were the 2022 seats?
Haven't seen any 2022 CX-5 on the dealer lot, so no opportunity for me to try out.

Old 02-03-2022, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Zingowner
I personally don't think they are too firm. Seat design is just not Mazda's strong suit (along with most other Japanese manufacturers). I got spoiled driving a Volvo S60R years ago and was introduced to what perfectly designed seats feel like is the problem. When I bought my 2019 GT (since have upgraded to 2021 GTR) and got the Mazda customer survey, I told them my only complaint was that their seat design was poor. Low and behold a couple years later they took action! (Must have gotten complaints from many others.) The design though is average, not poor. Mainly the bolsters are a little too small (they fixed that apparently for 2022) and the seat overall is a little too small (I'm average size 5' 11" 190 lbs) mainly the bottom of the seat is not long enough giving good thigh support. Also unless you are average to skinny average size adult like me, these seats are pretty narrow. Slightly chunky people on up are going to be sitting on the bottom bolsters. I think they have to design to the lowest common denominator though as someone short with short legs the bottom length may be perfect for. Also, the leather quality is average at best. But this is considered in the 'near luxury' segment so can't expect to get Signature model leather n the lower priced models for this near-luxury segment. This car is otherwise the best bang (drive/quality/design) for the buck of any of the 24 cars I've owned in the past 35 years.

Last edited by Jazee; 02-03-2022 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by M4C3
Don't know, worried that they mess up the heated seats. Also, this is my wife's daily driver, if anything goes wrong, I am burnt
Check around with several good auto upholstery shops. They should have no problems fixing the seat(s) for you and they are used to dealing with heated seats. We've had several cars' seats fixed that had heated seats and never had any issues...and they were much more comfortable.

Good Luck.

Old 02-03-2022, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jazee
I personally don't think they are too firm. Seat design is just not Mazda's strong suit (along with most other Japanese manufacturers). I got spoiled driving a Volvo S60R years ago and was introduced to what perfectly designed seats feel like is the problem. When I bought my 2019 GT (since have upgraded to 2021 GTR) and got the Mazda customer survey, I told them my only complaint was that their seat design was poor. Low and behold a couple years later they took action! (Must have gotten complaints from many others.) The design though is average, not poor. Mainly the bolsters are a little too small (they fixed that apparently for 2022) and the seat overall is a little too small (I'm average size 5' 11" 190 lbs) mainly the bottom of the seat is not long enough giving good thigh support. Also unless you are average to skinny average size adult like me, these seats are pretty narrow. Slightly chunky people on up are going to be sitting on the bottom bolsters. I think they have to design to the lowest common denominator though as someone short with short legs the bottom length may be perfect for. Also, the leather quality is average at best. But this is considered in the 'near luxury' segment so can't expect to get Signature model leather n the lower priced models for this near-luxury segment. This car is otherwise the best bang (drive/quality/design) for the buck of any of the 24 cars I've owned in the past 35 years.
I agree with you on the Volvo seats. We had an 05 V70R that we picked up in Sweden and loved the car, but as our needs changed, we changed vehicles. I do miss the Volvo seats though.