Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2022 CX-5 Turbo battery size?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
And that is definitely the best answer on replacement.
It may be a consideration of getting an OEM battery and paying the difference based on the Mazda warranty which may not cover the battery fully based on the OPS vehicle information posted or buying a better replacement upgrade battery?
I get from time to time a customer in the same situation. I will call the dealership and have them give me the warranty price replacement and even sometimes go so far as to have them adjust the prorated coat with my shop price to help my customer a little. I have to charge labor while the dealership will replace the battery even prorated charge for free. I believe Mazda has a battery specific warranty based on years and miles? My own personal 2018 had and although it was covered 100% I exchanged the battery upgraded and gave my new replacement Mazda battery to a good customer in need and low on cash.

Last edited by Callisto; 12-31-2023 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-01-2024, 07:31 AM

Funny you should mention that.
My dealer replaced my bad battery under warranty with the battery manufacturer/model I wanted at no charge to me.
This is why they have a loyal customer base that keeps getting larger and why they were able to add on and upgrade their facility.
In my experience it is rare for dealers to do this, and it is one of the reasons I'm willing to drive the extra miles to use them.
Good businesspeople know a little less profit on occasion can actually increase year end margins.

Old 01-01-2024, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Funny you should mention that.
My dealer replaced my bad battery under warranty with the battery manufacturer/model I wanted at no charge to me.
This is why they have a loyal customer base that keeps getting larger and why they were able to add on and upgrade their facility.
In my experience it is rare for dealers to do this, and it is one of the reasons I'm willing to drive the extra miles to use them.
Good businesspeople know a little less profit on occasion can actually increase year end margins.
Attitude and customer loyalty goes a long way.

Old 01-01-2024, 10:47 AM

So I bought a battery tester and checked the battery. After sitting for three days in the 40 degree garage it was at 12.16 volts. Using 500 CCA as a the new rating the load test said it had 413. Says "GOOD RECHARGE". Did the starter and alternator test and both pass. So, in other words, if I went to the dealership they are going to tell me nothing is wrong with it. To me, its not worth the effort. I've already ordered the Interstate AGM with 640 CCA. I'm very particular with my cars and this is more of a peace of mind $200 upgrade.

Old 01-01-2024, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by sluggo48313
So I bought a battery tester and checked the battery. After sitting for three days in the 40 degree garage it was at 12.16 volts. Using 500 CCA as a the new rating the load test said it had 413. Says "GOOD RECHARGE". Did the starter and alternator test and both pass. So, in other words, if I went to the dealership they are going to tell me nothing is wrong with it. To me, its not worth the effort. I've already ordered the Interstate AGM with 640 CCA. I'm very particular with my cars and this is more of a peace of mind $200 upgrade.
This is a GREAT response. I wish more members on various forums would consider the same for testing their own battery!

Old 01-01-2024, 02:05 PM

This is all that matters in the end. If you want a higher capacity battery and are willing to pay for it, why not? What exact battery did you buy, so other forum members have a link. If mine dies after the warranty is out, I may consider the upgrade myself.

Old 01-01-2024, 03:24 PM

I did a lot of research on batteries last summer when my other car (2004 Audi TT 3.2 convertible) needed a battery. I narrowed it down to two then and now. The Walmart EverMaxx AGM or the Interstate AGM from Costco. Both are usually priced within ten dollars of each other and are rated high/good value by people online that have compared them. I got the Interstate AGM from Costco for the Audi.

Both were out of stock in my area for the CX-5, however since AGMs are sealed, Costco will ship it to you. Costco sells the Interstate AGM for a lot less than other Interstate dealers ($199 delivered). You still return the core to the store. I ordered it Friday.
Interesting note, when using their fitment tool, they don't list the CX-5 after a certain year for some reason. Put in a 2019 and it will give you the proper BCI Group 35 size. That size fits a lot of Japanese vehicles and is really popular which is why its often out of stock. The good news is you don't have to worry about the build date, the battery will be fresh.

Old 01-01-2024, 04:37 PM

The Costco application is a universal parts look up that they pay for. Go directly to Interstate for application or contact them directly . BTW it is a INTERSTAE battery sold by Costco not a Costco Interstate battery. The great thing about Interstate is you can go to any Interstate authorized battery seller should you have a Interstate battery concern.

I am very partial to interstate batteries having been a dealer, distributor and retailer off and on for decades. They keep records of salespeople how many they sold. Last time I looked was over 1200. But then it was handy running one of the largest RV dealerships in CA for a brief time. lol

Old 01-02-2024, 12:54 PM

I've always liked Interstate as well. Now-a-days though, I think there are only four companies that make all the batteries. Exide (Interstate), Johnson Controls, East Penn, and Clarios. I still went with the Interstate AGM because it says it has "pure lead" which I take to mean, new lead and not recycled(?) Maybe. Hopefully.

I believe the Interstate batteries Costco sells are the same, but you have to go to Costco for the warranty. That and the warranty is pro-rated not free replacement. Which is why they are cheaper at Costco.

BTW, the fitment guide for Walmart and Interstate (and others) don't list a 2022 CX-5, but list other Mazda models. That was the reason for my original post. I wanted to make sure they didn't change the battery from earlier models.

I have a friend that works in the Tire Dept. at Costco. I believe they want you to call because they want to upsell you and tell you you should buy an AGM (even if your car didn't come with one.)

Old 01-02-2024, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by sluggo48313
I've always liked Interstate as well. Now-a-days though, I think there are only four companies that make all the batteries. Exide (Interstate), Johnson Controls, East Penn, and Clarios. I still went with the Interstate AGM because it says it has "pure lead" which I take to mean, new lead and not recycled(?) Maybe. Hopefully.

I believe the Interstate batteries Costco sells are the same, but you have to go to Costco for the warranty. That and the warranty is pro-rated not free replacement. Which is why they are cheaper at Costco.

BTW, the fitment guide for Walmart and Interstate (and others) don't list a 2022 CX-5, but list other Mazda models. That was the reason for my original post. I wanted to make sure they didn't change the battery from earlier models.

I have a friend that works in the Tire Dept. at Costco. I believe they want you to call because they want to upsell you and tell you should buy an AGM (even if your car didn't come with one.)
Ya I should have read the latest Interstate dealer contract. Which I did today ! COSTCO buys in large bulk from Interstate unlabeled batteries and has their own labeling placed on the batteries. This includes their own date codes. They also DO NOT have any battery rotation and test procedure. They also have their own proration contract which is not in any way like INTERSTATE direct.

Interstate also does not currently have a listing for your MAZDA. This may or may not be a problem should you have a warranty issue regarding the COSCO labeled Interstate battery? I would make sure that it is shown on your invoice what you were sold and for what vehicle. Interstate will accept a none applicated battery if the auto manufacture shows that they have a group size for a specific battery OEM. I don't know about COSCO?

And that internet information about only a few batteries manufacture's all batteries is completely wrong! There is a difference between manufactured and a conglomerate in the battery manufacturing industry.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-02-2024 at 02:32 PM.