Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2022 CX5 rough ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 06:20 PM
Default 2022 CX5 rough ride

Am I really the only person that has had their CX5 start to ride rougher than normal? Dealer insists it's normal. Its not normal.

Old 04-06-2023, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by jtkrpm
Am I really the only person that has had their CX5 start to ride rougher than normal? Dealer insists it's normal. Its not normal.
What's the mileage on your car?

Old 04-06-2023, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by jtkrpm
No.. mine was rough from first purchase. Maybe have a mechanic check your suspension for any issues.

Otherwise...

Skinny tires, plus a suspension that hugs the road = rough ride. Also check your tire pressure.

Try switch to 17 inch rims/tires(mine are 16) with higher sidewall, maybe 1 lb or 2 less air pressure. Make sure you have quality tires which affects ride as well. Lastly you could switch to a softer suspension but it will cost $$.

Fyi if your still on the OEM tires, they werent too great to start, and should be well worn by now so no cushion. Get New tires ,the more thread depth the better.

Last edited by kilroy22; 04-06-2023 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2023, 07:39 AM

As Kilroy said, the OEM tires are very bad.
I switched last fall to Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 (though I suspect any other great tire will work) and it was like driving a whole different vehicle.
Ride, handling and winter driving are now great.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:59 AM

Just under 16000. The CX5 was much smother riding than my Mazda 3 of around the same mileage at one point (and it should, the cx5 has more suspension travel and high profile tires). Now, it’s more jarring than a sports car. The dealer basically told me I don’t know WTF I’m talking about, and they checked it out, drove it for a few minutes and said it’s fine. Taking it to another dealer and hope for a better outcome. It’s still under warranty so, I don’t want to be putting money into repairs that should be covered.

Last edited by jtkrpm; 04-08-2023 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-08-2023, 08:08 AM

I do notice Bilstein makes shocks and struts for 2022’s if it comes to it I’ll probably just put some B4’s on it. I shouldn’t though, it’s under warranty.

Old 04-08-2023, 10:50 AM

Ride quality is subjective when many are comparing what they think is increased harshness without other indicators of parts deterioration, breakage or just being extremely dirty. . If there is nothing wrong with the suspension, tires and running gear then it is really hard to point to mechanical and even raod changes itself in the usually driving area and it's just in your head"? However I occasional get this exact comment about ride quality from customers. After carefully inspecting everything that could possibly cause a increase in ride harshness t we go on a test drive and I don't feel what they feel because I am not use to their car. I am looking for a problem because they said there is one? So when we get back to the shop without them seeing I lower the air pressure by exactly 10psi from a 35psi set or just measured to 25psi without telling them. We then go for another test drive and this time I have them drive. If they tell me the ride is now smoother, I pretty much can conclude it is their tires that are worn not necessarily by thread depth but by physical age wear which tends to make the tire harder. The only way to confirm this is using a durometer and knowing what the new tire measurements were.

I would NOT recommend to change out the factory OEM dampeners without confirm that they have started to go bad. One reason is it is highly unlikely more then one on newer low milage MAZDAs may have lost it ability to dampen properly and most replacement's dampeners are many times rated slight high in psi which could actually increase the stability firmness and you will be back with complaining about the ride quality again. Determine the cause of the ride quality change before "GUESSING" at what parts to change!

Old 04-08-2023, 11:10 AM

Reducing tire pressure would cause a vehicle to seem to ride smoother. Did a tire replacement cure their issue?

someone will need to “guess” at some point. The vehicle does not ride normally at all. I don’t have the facilities to be inspecting anything. Dealer says everything looks ok physically.

Last edited by jtkrpm; 04-08-2023 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-08-2023, 11:23 AM

The front springs are much firmer than I thought. Pushing on the front end does not provide as much visual movement as I expected. Though, there is virtually zero with my cx5, and noticeable movement on a new one. A new one test driven is what I remember the vehicle riding like. Bumps are there, it’s still firm, but it doesn’t move your head around, or “hit you” my Cx5 you actually need to keep your head off the headrest or it is like someone jabbing you in the back of the head on rough roads (the new one on the same roads does not do that)

Old 04-08-2023, 01:49 PM
Default Exactly

Originally Posted by Lobstah
As Kilroy said, the OEM tires are very bad.
I switched last fall to Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 (though I suspect any other great tire will work) and it was like driving a whole different vehicle.
Ride, handling and winter driving are now great.
BINGO, the oem Yokohama tires suck. Get a set of Pirelli AS Plus 3 tires .

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 04-08-2023 at 01:53 PM. Reason: ok

Quick Reply: 2022 CX5 rough ride