Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2022 CX5 rough ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 06:48 AM

I have an appointment with another dealer tomorrow. I’ll see if they come back at me the same way. With an attitude of everything is fine and I don’t know WTF I’m talking about. they would gladly replace something if I paid for it though.

Old 04-09-2023, 07:11 AM

I test drove multiple brands when looking for a new SUV in 2020.
I was impressed with CX-5 before I drove it and after all my test drives it handle and road the best.
I replaced the OEM tires (which still had plenty of tread) with the Perelli's in October of 2022 it was instantaneously better.
Road much smoother, was far quieter and handled even better.
I fully expected the quietness and handling that generally comes with most new tires.
But I did not expect how much my ride quality improved.
Even my wife, who has zero interest in the mechanics of any vehicle, commented on the difference.
If a second dealer says they see no issues (suspension wise) then it is most likely your tires.

Old 04-10-2023, 04:41 PM

I seem to have found out what the problem is. Believe it or not, It’s the drivers seat adjustment. Setting it just a few inches higher turns the vehicle into a whole different riding vehicle to the driver. You can feel all the bumps, the swaying, Jolting ect. It’s not like the seat is spring loaded or anything, it’s just changing the pivot point or something. This is the base S model with only a raise and lower function (it does not go up evenly front to back ether) my wife is shorter than me, and especially if she is having a hard time seeing she raises the seat even higher. It’s still fine for me because there is ample headroom ether way.

Old 04-10-2023, 04:54 PM

In all my history with vehicles another 1st... ^^^

if it worked for you then that's all that matters.

Old 04-10-2023, 05:01 PM

I noticed this on the long drive to the second dealer (who also said there was nothing wrong) and, on the way back home. Raise seat? Bumpy, lower seat? Smooth. Sun of a bitch! I have been a Mechanic my self for over 25 years (though I no longer work on customer owned vehicles) and I never would have guessed that.

Old 04-10-2023, 07:15 PM

Regardless of all the recommendations, it was a very odd solution. I’m glad you got it sorted out!

Old 04-11-2023, 07:52 AM

Learn something everyday...

Old 04-11-2023, 08:01 AM

I mean, it still rides cx5 rough but, it makes a big difference with the seat higher.

Old 04-11-2023, 11:20 AM
Default Srtange

[QUOTE=jtkrpm;214460]I mean, it still rides cx5 rough but, it makes a big difference with the seat higher.
Glad you solved the problem, but I can't imagine how that would make a difference in the ride quality .

Old 04-11-2023, 01:12 PM

I’m not sure why ether. the two things changing is, the lower cushion angle (seat does not move evenly up and down, front to rear). The overall hight as well. All I know is, having the seat lower greatly reduces the felt bumps, and swaying.
The vehicle does ride rougher when cold 30f vs 50f I would imagine the oil in the struts is more viscous at 30.

maybe I’m just imagining it? Time will tell.

Quick Reply: 2022 CX5 rough ride