Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2023 CX-5 2.5 T Sig AWD; engine malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 12:12 PM
Default 2023 CX-5 2.5 T Sig AWD; engine malfunction

I've had this car about 6 weeks, I bought it as a CPO with 5.5k miles; right at 6k miles now.
Twice I've had the same issue. Driving in the rain, expressway speed. All at once...

1.Check engine light solid
2. Most if not all safety systems disabled (messages)
3. Parking brake light comes on
4. Engine malfunction (message in app)

First time the dealer couldn't find anything after having the car for 3 days. It's now at the dealer again for over 24 hours and no communication from them and no resolution yet.
I seem to remember reading something about front radar sensors issue...

Any of this ring a bell? Advice on what to do?

Old 02-09-2024, 12:44 PM

It's under warranty the only thing you need do is notify the dealer which you have.
Unless you are a Mazda trained technician guessing as to what might be wrong is irrelevant to the situation.
However, because it's the second time in for the same issue I would do the following.
Notify Mazda Corporate and give them the all the information you have and all the information from the dealership when you first brought in the vehicle.
Also inform them you have brought it in again for the same issue (date).
Inform the dealer you have contacted Mazda Corporate directly about the issue.
The dealer should have given you a loaner vehicle and then all you can really do is wait for them to fix the issue.
Yes, it can be a PITA, but you will need to be patient and polite until the issue is resolved. No matter how much you'd like too, it will not help to get angry or harass the dealership.
If the dealer doesn't resolve the issue in a "timely manner" (that time is up for debate or dependent on your states laws).
Then you politely, but firmly tell them, you will be contacting corporate again to resolve the issue as they have not done so.
If all else fails, then the legal issues begin.

Old 02-09-2024, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
It's under warranty the only thing you need do is notify the dealer which you have.
Unless you are a Mazda trained technician guessing as to what might be wrong is irrelevant to the situation.
However, because it's the second time in for the same issue I would do the following.
Notify Mazda Corporate and give them the all the information you have and all the information from the dealership when you first brought in the vehicle.
Also inform them you have brought it in again for the same issue (date).
Inform the dealer you have contacted Mazda Corporate directly about the issue.
The dealer should have given you a loaner vehicle and then all you can really do is wait for them to fix the issue.
Yes, it can be a PITA, but you will need to be patient and polite until the issue is resolved. No matter how much you'd like too, it will not help to get angry or harass the dealership.
If the dealer doesn't resolve the issue in a "timely manner" (that time is up for debate or dependent on your states laws).
Then you politely, but firmly tell them, you will be contacting corporate again to resolve the issue as they have not done so.
If all else fails, then the legal issues begin.
Lobstah,
I appreciate your thoughtful reply.
I agree and am only mystified as to why the subject matter experts (dealer) can't seem too figure this out beyond clearing codes and giving back the car. I'm not upset ... yet ...
I will take the actions in the manner/progression you suggest. I hope it doesn't get that far. It's the first car for me in 22 years. I love this car and just want it fixed.
John

Old 02-09-2024, 03:58 PM

I agree with @Lobstah . That's the best way to go. If they keep giving you issues after multiple repair attempts then look into lemon laws in your state.

Old 02-09-2024, 05:28 PM

They didn't just clear the DTC I can assure you.
If you care to post the service write up omitting your personal information I am sure we can deifier a little more what is going on?
Here is the thing there is no such thing as cant find an issue with a ECU OBDII system. If there is a operation out of specification it will show somewhere in the ECU records. If not then it is a connect ability concern which means looking at something else altogether. Never the less it is still completely under warranty and you just need to keep on top of the problem with your dealership.

I might add unless a dealer specifies exactly the time frame they will have the car for service concerns them having it 3 days is not usual especially given that they have tried to test drive and re-create the problem! .

Old 02-10-2024, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
They didn't just clear the DTC I can assure you.
If you care to post the service write up omitting your personal information I am sure we can deifier a little more what is going on?
Here is the thing there is no such thing as cant find an issue with a ECU OBDII system. If there is a operation out of specification it will show somewhere in the ECU records. If not then it is a connect ability concern which means looking at something else altogether. Never the less it is still completely under warranty and you just need to keep on top of the problem with your dealership.

I might add unless a dealer specifies exactly the time frame they will have the car for service concerns them having it 3 days is not usual especially given that they have tried to test drive and re-create the problem! .
I agree that the dealer test drove and performed other analysis before clearing the codes and eventually releasing the car to me.

It is total coincidence the car is at the dealer for a second time. I was on my way to the dealer for scheduled completion of after-market upgrades I bought with the initial purchase. Weather conditions and driving circumstance just happened to mimic those at the time of the first failure.

Yes, thankfully all is covered under warranty. Yes, I'll be happy to post the any service write-up/documents provided to me once I get the car back in the coming days. Yes, they provided a free loaner as part of the after-market upgrades.

I greatly appreciate each contribution/suggestion to this discussion.

Regards,
John

Old 02-10-2024, 12:24 PM

Clearing the codes is not exactly what a service shop does. Or at least the very misunderstood and often posted "clearing the codes actually means.
Most that know what they are doing really "CLEAR" DTCs which simply reset the engine check light. If the engine check light did not reactivate at least after a short drive or by the next cold start engine run, then it is not likely the DTC that caused the engine check light was still active. However, that would also mean that the technician also looked at pending and permanent DTC as well the monitors. So really there is a lot of important and incomplete information from your report about your problem at this point!
And what exactly does test driving and performing other analysis??? This must be your words because it is not a normal procedure. Or they are tossing the "BIGGER words" at a customer in hopes to make them look like they are really doing something? LOL I mean in your case you test drive to recreate a condition hopefully the ECU will give more info into DTC's?

The last thing I try to hopefully make some understand is not all dealerships have even one FACTORY TRAINED Technician employed with them. This is another misconception about all dealership in general. The biggest reason is a independent or factory Automotive Certified Technician we cost a lot more to employ! Dealerships are still a very simple INDEPENDENT Business and have the same P &L as another privately owned business!
This really means when I read on any given forum that someone had the dealership work on a problem, and they could find it only means they simply did not employee an individual that has the training level as a Certified Automotive Technician. In our world there is no such phrase as "CANT FIND THE PROBLEM!

Old 02-10-2024, 12:32 PM

I should also mention that if they returned your Mazda and it was not at the time you picked it up having the same problem then it will not fit into a lemon law or any other required law in any state. Your vehicle must have been returned with the problem still existing and not simply a ghost that returns at some point.
I am not saying that the problem is gone only that it is not being recreated while at the dealership.
Also, a big misconception is a dealership does not have to give a loaner. Not sure where that information ever got started. Vehicles on most dealership are owned by a financial institution (its called flooring) and are audit frequently and unannounced not only for the vehicles being on the lot but also their mileage. So those vehicles are owned by the financial institution not the dealership or auto manufacture.
A loaner to a custome is a couticy only not a requirement!

Old 02-10-2024, 02:39 PM

Clearing the codes is not exactly what a service shop does. Or at least the very misunderstood and often posted "clearing the codes actually means.
Most that know what they are doing really "CLEAR" DTCs which simply reset the engine check light. If the engine check light did not reactivate at least after a short drive or by the next cold start engine run, then it is not likely the DTC that caused the engine check light was still active. However, that would also mean that the technician also looked at pending and permanent DTC as well the monitors. So really there is a lot of important and incomplete information from your report about your problem at this point!
And what exactly does test driving and performing other analysis??? This must be your words because it is not a normal procedure. Or they are tossing the "BIGGER words" at a customer in hopes to make them look like they are really doing something? LOL I mean in your case you test drive to recreate a condition hopefully the ECU will give more info into DTC's?
I don't know the diagnostic progression and/or process they used before turning off the steady-on engine light. They did tell me they test drove the car several times trying to recreate the issue.

The last thing I try to hopefully make some understand is not all dealerships have even one FACTORY TRAINED Technician employed with them. This is another misconception about all dealership in general. The biggest reason is a independent or factory Automotive Certified Technician we cost a lot more to employ! Dealerships are still a very simple INDEPENDENT Business and have the same P &L as another privately owned business!
This really means when I read on any given forum that someone had the dealership work on a problem, and they could find it only means they simply did not employee an individual that has the training level as a Certified Automotive Technician. In our world there is no such phrase as "CANT FIND THE PROBLEM!
How would I gracefully find out if my dealership has "FACTORY TRAINED Technicians"?

I assume I have to be patient and give the dealership a chance to figure the root cause and implement a permanent fix. Meanwhile, frustration builds as I will have no car if I have to take it back a 3rd time.

Regards,
John

Old 02-10-2024, 02:55 PM

I should also mention that if they returned your Mazda and it was not at the time you picked it up having the same problem then it will not fit into a lemon law or any other required law in any state. Your vehicle must have been returned with the problem still existing and not simply a ghost that returns at some point.
I am not saying that the problem is gone only that it is not being recreated while at the dealership.
I understand your details/requirements about the lemon law. I've not yet investigated the law here in MN. I assume the problem still existed since it came back so quickly after the first occurrence.

Also, a big misconception is a dealership does not have to give a loaner. Not sure where that information ever got started. Vehicles on most dealership are owned by a financial institution (its called flooring) and are audit frequently and unannounced not only for the vehicles being on the lot but also their mileage. So those vehicles are owned by the financial institution not the dealership or auto manufacture.
A loaner to a custome is a couticy only not a requirement!
Yes, I could have paid for a loaner for the first instance but luckily my wife and I are both retired and she can chauffeur me around if need be. For the 2nd instance the dealer had already committed to a loaner for the purchased after-market upgrades.

Regards,
John

Quick Reply: 2023 CX-5 2.5 T Sig AWD; engine malfunction