Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2023 CX-5 2.5 Turbo Signature

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by CEB
I don't recall anyone talking about run flat tires
Larger (meaning taller) wheels require a lower profile tire = stiffer sidewall = increased handling performance which usually = firmer/harder ride.
Now I will step in and say to take Cali's responses with a "grain of salt". He thinks the CX-5 has run flat tires? Nope, they don't. Lol. He attacks me (and several others on the forum) anytime I make a reply on the forum no matter what the subject. He is a real "gem" of a guy....

To get back to your question. You said it perfectly in your last post about larger wheels having a firmer ride with better performance. I will say Mazda in general sets up their cars to ride pretty firm compared to other Japanese makes. This kind of goes with their philosophy as the handling is better as a result, but there is a tradeoff in ride quality. If you test drove an "S" model with the 17" wheels I suspect you would find the ride to be more compliant.

Last edited by chickdr19; 01-23-2023 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Now I will step in and say to take Cali's responses with a "grain of salt". He thinks the CX-5 has run flat tires? Nope, they don't. Lol. He attacks me (and several others on the forum) anytime I make a reply on the forum no matter what the subject. He is a real "gem" of a guy....

To get back to your question. You said it perfectly in your last post about larger wheels having a firmer ride with better performance. I will say Mazda in general sets up their cars to ride pretty firm compared to other Japanese makes. This kind of goes with their philosophy as the handling is better as a result, but there is a tradeoff in ride quality. If you test drove an "S" model with the 17" wheels I suspect, you would find the ride to be more compliant.
Well post real verifiable information and empirical facts and not so much armchair theories about subject and you won't get called on it. We can also see there are a few other member's that often call you on your postings.

I really dislike when someone assumes I said something. My response was a GENAERAL statement of facts about tires!

NO MAZDA does not set their vehicles up suspension characteristic's to handle firmer comparing other makes. Where in the world did you get empirical information with that ASSumption?
Please post where you arrived at your information....

If you would only post using the letters IMHO or IMO like a DIY that you are and stop posting un-facts you would not get called so often for your poor information !

Old 01-24-2023, 03:06 AM

"I think what he was saying is a brand new set of the Toyo's rode better than the same tires with 36k miles on the clock." Yes, Chickdr19 that is exactly what I was saying. Still, despite the Jeremiah Johnson-style of riposte from CEB re the CX-5's alleged harsh ride, and the new Toyo 36' alleged hand in that (misunderstood), in the spirit of good fellowship I repeat that if he desires a noticeably improved ride with equal or superior handling, he should seriously entertain the Bridgestone Weatherpeak as replacement tires for the Toyo 36 which came OEM on the car (themselves an improvement I understand, 2019 was first year for them, over the prior Toyo 23 OEMs).

Old 01-24-2023, 07:02 AM

New tires of a particular brand/model generally ride better than the old ones... not an opinion, it is a fact.
Otherwise, we'd never have to purchase new tires
I would at this time point out that "ride" however is very subjective/opinionated without actual measurements.
Like saying Mazda sets their cars up to ride more firm than other Japanese cars, that is an opinion and hearsay unless you can provide proof.
I can say my dog is better than your dog, but it doesn't prove anything, especially because I don't have a dog.
The only way to know for certain is to see definitive testing results on ride quality.
Which would measure things like suspension movement, g-forces, physical impact on passengers and load, etc. etc.
If someone could point out any manufacturers that supply this information, I would be very appreciative.

Last edited by Lobstah; 01-24-2023 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:23 AM
CEB

Originally Posted by Lobstah
New tires of a particular brand/model generally ride better than the old ones... not an opinion, it is a fact.
Otherwise, we'd never have to purchase new tires
I would at this time point out that "ride" however is very subjective/opinionated without actual measurements.
Like saying Mazda sets their cars up to ride more firm than other Japanese cars, that is an opinion and hearsay unless you can provide proof.
I can say my dog is better than your dog, but it doesn't prove anything, especially because I don't have a dog.
The only way to know for certain is to see definitive testing results on ride quality.
Which would measure things like suspension movement, g-forces, physical impact on passengers and load, etc. etc.
If someone could point out any manufacturers that supply this information, I would be very appreciative.
The CX-5 has the reputation per quite a few Youtube video reviews of having a stiff, harsh, and not so comfortable ride compared to its competition. It also has the reputation of being the best handling in the small compact crossover class. I've driven everything in the CX-5 class and I'd have to agree.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:09 AM

-We looked at
Claimed vehicles weight comparing others in the same class... nope not much difference plus or minus.
Any new innovation in the suspension comparing other platforms. not really
The cartridge used in struts.... no difference in fact many platforms are exactly the same for internal performance and specifications.
Rear shocks same thing.
Springs no platform really offers true progressive springs (Mainly because of the unpredictability of handling and steering control most progressive springs have and not the best for ANY vehicle without some experience on a track or training) from the factory and spring are somewhat universal so basically no difference there either.
Tire and wheel diameter is not what effects the ride quality for in the creature comfort range but rather it is the basic tread pattern, sidewall design and sidewall heights again when comparing what is offered factory from various platforms nothing different here either because of all the different variable choices used between auto manufactures.
The list goes on but those were some of the most common basic systems and parts looked at. for comparison prior the actual driving testing

Basically, it is more personal preference and IMHO based on actually participating in testing a few platforms years ago when this same BS about ride quality came up when we plugged our ears so no sounds during the drive test not one of use could decipher which vehicle had a notably better ride quality in the same class and close specifications.
The magazine editor decided not to use it as a story because it was to subjective of an article and also the technical end was deemed to high for the normal reader comprehension. Hmmmm LOL

The testing was a Saturday and Sunday event set up at the ballpark parking lot Oakland ca not to many years past....
We used various hard tarmac with undulation in both straight and turns and also the adjacent dirt overflow parking lot.

In all my vehicles for decades I have always used an accelerometer to measure different aspects of the handling characteristics of my cars. I also often used a portable accelerometer for various testing when engineering and developing performance suspension components. I have also carried it with me every time I felt like test driving a new vehicle even for fun!

Last edited by Callisto; 01-24-2023 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-24-2023, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by CEB
The CX-5 has the reputation per quite a few Youtube video reviews of having a stiff, harsh, and not so comfortable ride compared to its competition. It also has the reputation of being the best handling in the small compact crossover class. I've driven everything in the CX-5 class and I'd have to agree.
Thank you for giving prime examples of what I was describing.
YouTube video reviews and reputation are all subjective as they are opinion based.
You are free to agree or disagree with their opinions.
I bought my CX-5 because it was the size I wanted, had most of the features I wanted, for the money I was willing to pay.
It would not have been my choice if money were no object.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:05 PM
CEB

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Thank you for giving prime examples of what I was describing.
YouTube video reviews and reputation are all subjective as they are opinion based.
You are free to agree or disagree with their opinions.
I bought my CX-5 because it was the size I wanted, had most of the features I wanted, for the money I was willing to pay.
It would not have been my choice if money were no object.
Of course the videos are all subjective and opinion based when it comes to characteristics. Some things are facts and others opinions. My point was.....the vast majority of the reviewers on Youtube indicate that the CX-5 does not have the ride comfort of its competitors. Better handling, YES. Ride comfort, NO. When the majority of folk come to the same conclusion, there must be something to it. I purchased my CX-5 for some of the same reasons you did. It is a good little crossover. A bit dated in certain areas but, still a solid buy. I guessing this 2023 model will be the last year for the CX-5. I just returned from having my 2022 CX-5 serviced at the dealership I purchased it from.
I counted 42 unsold model year 2023 CX-5's sitting on their lot.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:35 PM

But see none were tested with any measuring devices. (Unless anyone can show me one) Not one I can find even used a "G" force meter, sound meter or even a vibration meter? That means it was all human Butt feeling and impression based on all kinds of human errors and perceptions.
The biggest reason those so-called comparison testing doesn't work without testing equipment to measure real world events is the sensitivity of humans to vehicle motions that result from different road surfaces and their profile including irregularities and deflections, sets limits on allowable levels of accurate comparison between 2 or more similar vehicles.

This simple meter/gauge ...the buck stops here when it comes to real world testing, and I saw none used to post those evaluation. (again if someone finds one please post it up! )

Old 01-25-2023, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by CEB
Yes! And that is exactly why I bought my 2023 CX-5 Signature. All the other obvious competitors in its class handle like crap by comparison, but that is my own individual opinion.

Quick Reply: 2023 CX-5 2.5 Turbo Signature